University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• 1 month later...

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard an interesting possibility on the further expansion of Baum Stadium while at the UA/Vandy games this weekend. A UA employee mentioned that there are 65 more requests on the suite waiting list now. It seems after people heard about the current expansion they put their dibs in on a suite for themselves. He said there is a chance that a future expansion would include a wrap around on the north side over the Hog spa area. On the south side the suites would wrap around to be extended to the scoreboard.

It wouldn't add that much to overall capacity but the revenue increase would be welcome.

I heard an interesting possibility on the further expansion of Baum Stadium while at the UA/Vandy games this weekend. A UA employee mentioned that there are 65 more requests on the suite waiting list now. It seems after people heard about the current expansion they put their dibs in on a suite for themselves. He said there is a chance that a future expansion would include a wrap around on the north side over the Hog spa area. On the south side the suites would wrap around to be extended to the scoreboard.

It wouldn't add that much to overall capacity but the revenue increase would be welcome.

That sounds good to me. I just hope that our baseball program continues to be decent. I would worry that if they decline like the basketball program that we would have alot of empty seets like at Bud Walton.

That sounds good to me. I just hope that our baseball program continues to be decent. I would worry that if they decline like the basketball program that we would have alot of empty seets like at Bud Walton.

Van Horn is not interested in leaving. When the Texas A&M job came open he said "No, I have no interest in leaving Fayetteville". He left a very good job to come here. As long as we continue to give him the best facilities in the nation and pack the house, why would he leave? As long as Van Horn is here we'll be a top 20 team and often (like this year) a top 10 team.

Basketball has been a coaching problem. Hopefully that gets fixed next week.

Yeah I don't know if Van Horn would leave anytime soon. He's got one of the nicest college baseball parks in the country. I would bet we'll be top in attendance unless there's a disaster. Does anyone think the university is trying to do all of this before the Texas League team arrives in the area?

Yeah I don't know if Van Horn would leave anytime soon. He's got one of the nicest college baseball parks in the country. I would bet we'll be top in attendance unless there's a disaster. Does anyone think the university is trying to do all of this before the Texas League team arrives in the area?

I think it's about revenue. They're filling every seat or box they add, so why not keep adding?

UA was 2nd nationally in attendance last year and LSU was the only school ahead. Officially the NCAA uses paid attendance for baseball, in actual attendance UA had LSU beat by a longshot for 1st nationally.

That said, when LSU gets its new stadium (next yeat?) they will see a big surge in attendance.

I think it's about revenue. They're filling every seat or box they add, so why not keep adding?

UA was 2nd nationally in attendance last year and LSU was the only school ahead. Officially the NCAA uses paid attendance for baseball, in actual attendance UA had LSU beat by a longshot for 1st nationally.

That said, when LSU gets its new stadium (next yeat?) they will see a big surge in attendance.

I'm not sure if it's next year. There may not be an instant surge for them. Granted people may still show up despite the team's success. But LSU hasn't been the traditional powerhouse it has been.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Aporkalypse about the UA not having any competition. Certianly there are no other Teir 1 research institutions in Arkansas right now (as defined by the Carneige Foundation), and nearly everyone pursuing a post-bachelor degree in a "hard" science field will go to the UA to get it. However, I think people are still underestimating the attitudes of Arkansas' current crop of college undergrads (or soon-to-be college undergrads). I am nearing the end of my academic career, but over the years I have seen certain trends develop:

1.) People in my generation worry less about the name on the degree and more about the "quality of life" of a college/university

2.) People in my generation are looking to go to school closer to home, because many of us grew up with strong ties to family or place. "Getting out" is not as important as it used to be, because you don't have to travel as much to learn about the world these days (thank you, internet)

3.) People in my generation are really worried about social connectivity, and having a strong group of friends. We don't like going it alone. We're looking for schools with small ratios and small populations.

4.) People in my generation are starting to realize that, despite what we may have been told in the 80s & 90s, not everyone should go to college and not everyone needs a degree to suceed. We idolize people like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and others who built an empire of their own.

5.) People in my generation are more civic-minded than many people realize. Opportunities like the PeaceCorps, AmeriCorps, City Year, and even the military are attractive alternatives to spending 5 or more years (nobody goes in 4 anymore) stuck behind a desk.

I don't say "people in my generation" to be derogatory -- it's just an identifier for people 25 or younger. While the UA will remain top dog for awhile, there is a growing "threat" by smaller institutions like UCA, Hendrix, UALR, and even the 2-year colleges, where kids are looking at all their choices and trying to maximize the personal benefit. These smaller institutions are playing to the desires of a new generation, and a larger institution like UA just can't give the individual attention that is afforded in a smaller setting. There will always be legacy students, and students who dream of the UA, and students who simply choose the UA because it is the best fit for them. Just don't write off the other schools yet.

I could have gone to UA first, but I chose Hendrix, then UCA, and now I'm at UA but headed to UALR. And there are many people out there like me. For my generation, there is one thing that is certain: we are indecisive. :D

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Aporkalypse about the UA not having any competition. Certianly there are no other Teir 1 research institutions in Arkansas right now (as defined by the Carneige Foundation), and nearly everyone pursuing a post-bachelor degree in a "hard" science field will go to the UA to get it. However, I think people are still underestimating the attitudes of Arkansas' current crop of college undergrads (or soon-to-be college undergrads). I am nearing the end of my academic career, but over the years I have seen certain trends develop:

1.) People in my generation worry less about the name on the degree and more about the "quality of life" of a college/university

2.) People in my generation are looking to go to school closer to home, because many of us grew up with strong ties to family or place. "Getting out" is not as important as it used to be, because you don't have to travel as much to learn about the world these days (thank you, internet)

3.) People in my generation are really worried about social connectivity, and having a strong group of friends. We don't like going it alone. We're looking for schools with small ratios and small populations.

4.) People in my generation are starting to realize that, despite what we may have been told in the 80s & 90s, not everyone should go to college and not everyone needs a degree to suceed. We idolize people like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and others who built an empire of their own.

5.) People in my generation are more civic-minded than many people realize. Opportunities like the PeaceCorps, AmeriCorps, City Year, and even the military are attractive alternatives to spending 5 or more years (nobody goes in 4 anymore) stuck behind a desk.

I don't say "people in my generation" to be derogatory -- it's just an identifier for people 25 or younger. While the UA will remain top dog for awhile, there is a growing "threat" by smaller institutions like UCA, Hendrix, UALR, and even the 2-year colleges, where kids are looking at all their choices and trying to maximize the personal benefit. These smaller institutions are playing to the desires of a new generation, and a larger institution like UA just can't give the individual attention that is afforded in a smaller setting. There will always be legacy students, and students who dream of the UA, and students who simply choose the UA because it is the best fit for them. Just don't write off the other schools yet.

I could have gone to UA first, but I chose Hendrix, then UCA, and now I'm at UA but headed to UALR. And there are many people out there like me. For my generation, there is one thing that is certain: we are indecisive. :D

Not to be blunt, but you are completely wrong.

1) The UA has as good a quality of life as you'll find.

2) Huh? I've seen nothing in my personal experience nor statistically to show this.

3) Again: huh?

4) For every Bill Gates there are a million college dropouts working at a fast food place. A college degree is absolutely necessary for anyone in this generation.

5) I've yet to see this one, either, and people finish in four years all the time. Fifteen hours a semester ain't too difficult if you put your mind to it.

The UA will be top dog forever. The only reason UCA is growing so much is because of the scholarships offered, the UA far surpasses in both academics and entertainment options. And, UCA is the only real "threat" in the state, and it isn't much of one.

Yeah I'm not so sure I can see some of the other colleges really pushing the U of A. That's not to say they can't gain ground on it, especially if it sits back and doesn't plan ahead very well. But there's always going to be those other colleges that will appeal to people who don't want to go to a larger 'university' feel.

Generalize much?

2) Huh? I've seen nothing in my personal experience nor statistically to show this.

4) For every Bill Gates there are a million college dropouts working at a fast food place. A college degree is absolutely necessary for anyone in this generation.

5) I've yet to see this one, either, and people finish in four years all the time. Fifteen hours a semester ain't too difficult if you put your mind to it.

The UA will be top dog forever. The only reason UCA is growing so much is because of the scholarships offered, the UA far surpasses in both academics and entertainment options. And, UCA is the only real "threat" in the state, and it isn't much of one.

For undergraduate education Hendrix beats any school in the state hands down; UA doesn't even hold a candle. UA is ranked as a third tier college education by the US News and World Reports, while Hendrix is ranked 1st tier as a liberal arts college at 69th in the nation right now. The endowment per student is triple at Hendrix. The 25-75% of ACT scores at UA is 22-28 while Hendrix's is 25-30. 6 out of 10 Hendrix students will go on to professional or graduate school within 2 years and 1 out of 10 enrolls in medical school. Bigger isn't better in this case.

For undergraduate education Hendrix beats any school in the state hands down; UA doesn't even hold a candle.

If you want a history, poly sci, or some other liberal arts degree I'd certainly agree with you.

But, not everyone wants that. If you want a business degree, the UofA is 100x better for that. It's not even comparable. Engineering? Hendrix doesn't even offer that, nor does it offer architecture. Nursing? Once again, Hendrix doesn't offer that. I know the sciences are extremely well respected at Hendrix, but with the advanced science and engineering programs Fayetteville has and the research opportunities that are present there, I'd argue you'd be just as well off going to Fayetteville for your Biology or Chemistry degree.

So while you say the UA doesn't hold a candle, I'd say both have their strengths. Hendrix is a great school, no doubt, but there are many opportunities that can be had at the UA that Hendrix will never be able to offer.

If you want a history, poly sci, or some other liberal arts degree I'd certainly agree with you.

But, not everyone wants that. If you want a business degree, the UofA is 100x better for that. It's not even comparable. Engineering? Hendrix doesn't even offer that, nor does it offer architecture. Nursing? Once again, Hendrix doesn't offer that. I know the sciences are extremely well respected at Hendrix, but with the advanced science and engineering programs Fayetteville has and the research opportunities that are present there, I'd argue you'd be just as well off going to Fayetteville for your Biology or Chemistry degree.

So while you say the UA doesn't hold a candle, I'd say both have their strengths. Hendrix is a great school, no doubt, but there are many opportunities that can be had at the UA that Hendrix will never be able to offer.

When people hear liberal arts colleges they expect it to be chock full of history, philosophy, and sociology majors. It really is a travesty that people think like that. I think something like 40% of Hendrix students major in the natural sciences, and the majority will do research with their professors. There's a list somewhere on the web that i saw showing the percentage of students that go on to get ph.d's in the sciences and Hendrix was like top 30 or 40, it was right in front of places like Johns Hopkins University. It really is kind of silly the way people stereotype instituitions like Hendrix.

If you want engineering, Hendrix has a program with Columbia, Vanderbilt, or Washington University in St. where you do your first two years here then finish there. Top undergraduate engineering education in the upperclassmen years requires a top notch grad school behind it, that's why many liberal arts colleges defer to the top tier research institutions. Imagine, starting out at Hendrix then finishing with an Ivy League degree? You cannot get that at the UA.

I will grant you the business thing, that's not really Hendrix's thing as well as nursing, but Hendrix really isn't a vocational school in the nursing sense. As for the research component, it's a required component of many majors at Hendrix. I started biology research at Hendrix my freshman year, that's something the UA is too big with too many grad students to offer. The grad schools that kids get accepted to from Hendrix is a much more impressive list even though it's got 1/14th the students.

In the last five years grads going to Law school got into: Harvard, Yale, Emory, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Notre Dame, NYU, Columbia, Southern Methodist University, Duke, and many more lesser known instituitions

In the last five years Medical school grads went to: Baylor, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Emory, and again many more lesser known instituitions

For grad school in general Hendrix's grads went to all these well known schools and more.

I'm sorry, but save for business, UA's got nothing on Hendrix

This is off the current topic but I thought this was very interesting. The University of Arkansas Med School will be opening a branch campus in the old Washington Regional building. I am not sure when they will be opening it, I would guess sometime this year.

Here is the article from the Morning News: Med School

This is off the current topic but I thought this was very interesting. The University of Arkansas Med School will be opening a branch campus in the old Washington Regional building. I am not sure when they will be opening it, I would guess sometime this year.

Here is the article from the Morning News: Med School

I thought they were thinking about putting this in Lowell. Did the plans change, or am I simply mistaken? It's great news however for the former Washington Regional building and for all downtown business.

There's plenty of college grads working in dead end jobs all over. Getting a great job these days that would normally have required a degree years ago now only reguire about 6 months to a year in an internet classroom. Many employers would much rather hire an underqualified worker for less pay and let them earn degrees online for future promotions. Quite a few companies even have their own online universities. It's the future. Formal college degrees will still have their place in this world, but it'll be more about who you know than a piece of paper.

1) In your opinion. The UA offers a certain quality of life, one that may or may not be appealing to everyone.

2.) I'll give you that my conclusions are based on anecdotal experience and a few books I've read. There is no hard statistcal evidence I know of either.

3.) Okay, if you don't know what I'm talking about here then you must not be under 25. Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, Web 2.0, every gosh darn club we grew up in, soccer practice, after school activities, internet chat, blogs....... what other evidence do you need that young people are obsessed with social connectivity? Some misconstrue this as people pushing away human contact, but I think the reverse is true: all these advances in technology keep us connected to more people.

4) There are also plenty of older people out there w/ college degrees working in jobs they hate, looking to change, and no doubt many that would say they never realized their dream. Having a degree doesn't always make you more successful personally; mostly the gain is financial.

5. My major had 145 hours. Ever think of being a band director? Try 155 hours. There are many other majors like that. You do the math. Fifteen hours isn't too difficult if that's all you're doing -- and most students don't just do classes anymore.

The UA will be top dog forever in part because people like it that way, in part because they have a huge head start in generating alumni, but not by simple merits alone. And, to be blunt, I like the UA as well as any of the other schools I've been to, so I'm not bashing. Just being opinionated.

Oh, cocotheif, I thought I was being fairly specific in giving 5 reasons. So either you didn't make a joke, or I just don't get it. I apologize to the thread for straying so far off topic.

1) In your opinion. The UA offers a certain quality of life, one that may or may not be appealing to everyone.

2.) I'll give you that my conclusions are based on anecdotal experience and a few books I've read. There is no hard statistcal evidence I know of either.

3.) Okay, if you don't know what I'm talking about here then you must not be under 25. Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, Web 2.0, every gosh darn club we grew up in, soccer practice, after school activities, internet chat, blogs....... what other evidence do you need that young people are obsessed with social connectivity? Some misconstrue this as people pushing away human contact, but I think the reverse is true: all these advances in technology keep us connected to more people.

4) There are also plenty of older people out there w/ college degrees working in jobs they hate, looking to change, and no doubt many that would say they never realized their dream. Having a degree doesn't always make you more successful personally; mostly the gain is financial.

5. My major had 145 hours. Ever think of being a band director? Try 155 hours. There are many other majors like that. You do the math. Fifteen hours isn't too difficult if that's all you're doing -- and most students don't just do classes anymore.

The UA will be top dog forever in part because people like it that way, in part because they have a huge head start in generating alumni, but not by simple merits alone. And, to be blunt, I like the UA as well as any of the other schools I've been to, so I'm not bashing. Just being opinionated.

Oh, cocotheif, I thought I was being fairly specific in giving 5 reasons. So either you didn't make a joke, or I just don't get it. I apologize to the thread for straying so far off topic.

Hendrix was founded 4 years after UA, that's not much of a lead.

Archived