University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great looking stadium!

Thanks for posting all the U. of Arkansas campus pics. I been to many parts of the beautiful state; but never over there.

I visited Harrison/Eureka Springs, they were awesome. Hot Springs was really nice. I like Little Rock too.

The best ever Christian Heavy Metal Band Living Sacrifice from Benton.

Great boxer Jermaine Taylor; Athlete Matt Jones, etc!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The university is trying to get started on 2 new residential projects. The second Phase of Maple Hill Dorms. They will house aound 350 students or about half of Phase I. They are also planning a new student apartment complex on Duncan just across from the new parking garage. I would guess that the new Maple Hill Dorm will be 4 stories like the others but I'm not sure how this new apartment builing will look.

Here is more info from the Times: New Dorms at the UofA

The university is trying to get started on 2 new residential projects. The second Phase of Maple Hill Dorms. They will house aound 350 students or about half of Phase I. They are also planning a new student apartment complex on Duncan just across from the new parking garage. I would guess that the new Maple Hill Dorm will be 4 stories like the others but I'm not sure how this new apartment builing will look.

Here is more info from the Times: New Dorms at the UofA

I knew there was something else I heard earlier in the week I forgot to mention. Yeah I heard about that just east of the parking deck. I also heard how they were trying to phase out the dorms and go more for apartments. But I hadn't heard anything about this new one before.

Looking in to the future, the next project after the Mapel Hill complex is supposed to be the demolition of the Buchannan-Drake & Gladson-Ripley dorms. Those not very familiar with the campus may not know these dorms even exist; they are set on the side of a steep hill below the two "towers", above the athletic campus and frat row. The dorms were originally used by ROTC, then Honors college, and now are housing some students but are well past their age/use.

Also, the Walton dorm across from the stadium is slated to come down this summer, and a new athletic dorm complex with be built in its place. Next door, the Sigma Nu house is clos to completion.

I also have a sort of crazy theory, but I'll put it out there.

Since a new LadyBack softball filed is being built where Carlson Terrace is, the current softball field will probably be razed. I think that the UA might build a new Athletic Administration Complex on that site (conveniently across from the Razorback Foundation office, and next to the indoor practice field) and then deconstruct the current Broyles Athletic Center (now that Broyles is retiring), then enclose the northern side of the stadium making a very nice bowl. Of course, this is all conjecture, and there are probably holes in my idea, but it's just an idea. The Sports Hall of Fame currently in the BAC could be incorporated in to the new part of the stadium.

Sound crazy? :silly:

Looking in to the future, the next project after the Mapel Hill complex is supposed to be the demolition of the Buchannan-Drake & Gladson-Ripley dorms. Those not very familiar with the campus may not know these dorms even exist; they are set on the side of a steep hill below the two "towers", above the athletic campus and frat row. The dorms were originally used by ROTC, then Honors college, and now are housing some students but are well past their age/use.

Also, the Walton dorm across from the stadium is slated to come down this summer, and a new athletic dorm complex with be built in its place. Next door, the Sigma Nu house is clos to completion.

Since a new LadyBack softball filed is being built where Carlson Terrace is, the current softball field will probably be razed. I think that the UA might build a new Athletic Administration Complex on that site (conveniently across from the Razorback Foundation office, and next to the indoor practice field) and then deconstruct the current Broyles Athletic Center (now that Broyles is retiring), then enclose the northern side of the stadium making a very nice bowl. Of course, this is all conjecture, and there are probably holes in my idea, but it's just an idea. The Sports Hall of Fame currently in the BAC could be incorporated in to the new part of the stadium.

Yeah I was a little surprised to hear they were closing Walton Hall. That is an interesting theory. I'm not sure if they'd do that or not. But it would be interesting to have the north end of the stadium closed. Although no more shots from the outside for me though. I wonder if there's anyway we can find out in advance what the university is thinking of doing. They seem a bit more quiet sometimes about their future plans.

Hey, that sounds like a very good idea to me. I would love to have closer to 100,000 seats. I know they have mentioned adding more seats to the stadium in the past but I wonder how serious they are? We sure could have used them this year but will we need them in the seasons to come?

Hey, that sounds like a very good idea to me. I would love to have closer to 100,000 seats. I know they have mentioned adding more seats to the stadium in the past but I wonder how serious they are? We sure could have used them this year but will we need them in the seasons to come?

Yeah that's the big question. That and how many fans are still mad at the program for what happened and might not buy tickets? I don't think they'd try to put in that many more seats though. For one I don't know if we can draw enough fans from other parts of the state on a regular basis to add too many more. This area is growing quite a bit but I'm also not sure if all those people are interested in the Razorbacks. Many graduated somewhere else and aren't going to be interested enough to attend Razorback games. Demand of course will be there if we keep having good years like last year. But it's really hard to judge how future years will be. The SEC is hard and I think we're going to have to do a lot better job of recruiting to make a serious run year in and year out just to win the west.

Yeah I was a little surprised to hear they were closing Walton Hall. That is an interesting theory. I'm not sure if they'd do that or not. But it would be interesting to have the north end of the stadium closed. Although no more shots from the outside for me though. I wonder if there's anyway we can find out in advance what the university is thinking of doing. They seem a bit more quiet sometimes about their future plans.

A decent part of Walton is unusable and closed off due to some kind of exotic mold infestation anyway, so this isn't a big suprise. They aren't wild about having this large complex that they can only use part of, and according to housing, the only way to rid this particular mold is to destroy the walls (i.e. the building).

A decent part of Walton is unusable and closed off due to some kind of exotic mold infestation anyway, so this isn't a big suprise. They aren't wild about having this large complex that they can only use part of, and according to housing, the only way to rid this particular mold is to destroy the walls (i.e. the building).

I see, yeah that makes sense then.

I don't see them making the a bowl out of the north endzone any time soon. Right now the stadium holds 72,000 and the next expansion will take place by adding an upper deck on the south endzone which will add approx. 10,000 seats. We have only sold out the current 72k twice in the past three years, so I don't see an expansion coming anytime soon. I know they plan on taking down the current Razorback foundation building and the soft ball field and creating parking for the time being, however, those plans may change.

I beg to differ, I know for a fact that two games this year were sold out. USC and Tennessee. Attendace was way up this year, and had the LSU game been in Fayetteville instead of The Rock we would of had 3 complete sell outs.

If anyone could find the exact average attendace per game this year that would be awesome. I want to say it was around 68k, but don't quote me on that.

I beg to differ, I know for a fact that two games this year were sold out. USC and Tennessee. Attendace was way up this year, and had the LSU game been in Fayetteville instead of The Rock we would of had 3 complete sell outs.

If anyone could find the exact average attendace per game this year that would be awesome. I want to say it was around 68k, but don't quote me on that.

As I said there have been two sell outs in the past three years and both of them were this year against USC and Tenn. If the LSU game would have been played in Fay it would have been a sell out as well. I can understand adding another 10k for the south upperdeck but as far as adding anothing 20-25k by making the north end zone a bowl is out the of question for many, many years.

I'd have to agree, I couldn't see adding more than 10,000. Arkansas is one of the lowest populated southern states. I can't see pushing it to close to 100,000 when there are a number of other SEC schools that don't have that. LSU is Louisiana's only major school and they haven't reached the 100,000 yet on their stadium as far as I know. They also have more population also. That and for us to have sellouts the Razorbacks have to do well. We haven't been that consistent. So far we win the west every 5 years or so. That and we might need to see if all the turmoil is over before we start adding on to the stadium.

Are you forgetting Texas three years ago, I think? That was a sellout, not trying to be a pain or anything. I do agree that the U of A needs to have a demand for the extra seats before they put them in.

You are correct...I was thinking Texas was 4 years ago...anyway the point is that we don't sell out the stadium on a regular bases so adding additional seats makes no sense.

You are correct...I was thinking Texas was 4 years ago...anyway the point is that we don't sell out the stadium on a regular bases so adding additional seats makes no sense.

I generally agree but a new coach might change that.

That said, I could see a modest expansion designed to add more outdoor club seating before long. The club seating generates huge revenues and the UA way underestimated the need for outdoor club seating and wishes more had been built. Adding skyboxes and club seating in the North End Zone with the ability to add future standard seating above it would make a lot of sense. It would also generate far more revenue even if only a couple thousand more seats were added.

I generally agree but a new coach might change that.

That said, I could see a modest expansion designed to add more outdoor club seating before long. The club seating generates huge revenues and the UA way underestimated the need for outdoor club seating and wishes more had been built. Adding skyboxes and club seating in the North End Zone with the ability to add future standard seating above it would make a lot of sense. It would also generate far more revenue even if only a couple thousand more seats were added.

Since I saw Jerry Jones plans for "field level luxury suites" at the new Cowboys Stadium, I've wondered if something like that would work at UA.

If not field level, maybe lower and closer in than the current luxury suites.

I agree about the outdoor club. Those are the best seats in the house.

Well let me start by saying my theory about expanding the stadium was just that -- a theory. I don't know that they would consider expanding to 100,000.

Think about this, though: Even when the stadium doesn't sell out, usually the empty seats are in the upper decks (I was @ every game this year and witnessed this). So, which do you think would sell more seats: 10,000 new seats in the nose-bleed section above the South endzone, or 20,000 more seats at field level in the North endzone? If people can get good seats, they will come. The only downside to the North endzone would be that you couldn't see the jumbo screen. I say, put seats @ field level in the North endzone and install a smaller video screen where the temp seating was at in the South endzone this year! That would be sweet!

Although I also like the idea of field-level club seats and boxes.

Well let me start by saying my theory about expanding the stadium was just that -- a theory. I don't know that they would consider expanding to 100,000.

Think about this, though: Even when the stadium doesn't sell out, usually the empty seats are in the upper decks (I was @ every game this year and witnessed this). So, which do you think would sell more seats: 10,000 new seats in the nose-bleed section above the South endzone, or 20,000 more seats at field level in the North endzone? If people can get good seats, they will come. The only downside to the North endzone would be that you couldn't see the jumbo screen. I say, put seats @ field level in the North endzone and install a smaller video screen where the temp seating was at in the South endzone this year! That would be sweet!

Although I also like the idea of field-level club seats and boxes.

I certainly agree that lower level seating in the North EZ makes a hell of a lot more sense than adding more upper deck seating in the South EZ, which will be the worst seats in the house. The new end zone addition was built to make adding additional seating up there very easy. though, and the North EZ will be complicated because of the Broyles Complex, though the part that was formerly the indoor practice facility before Walker Pavillion was built could be easily removed.

The problem, of course, is that it wasn't a terribly brilliant move to build an office building in the end zone of the stadium. Eventually that will have to be undone and if it the costs can be offset by premium seating, we should do it.

I certainly agree that lower level seating in the North EZ makes a hell of a lot more sense than adding more upper deck seating in the South EZ, which will be the worst seats in the house. The new end zone addition was built to make adding additional seating up there very easy. though, and the North EZ will be complicated because of the Broyles Complex, though the part that was formerly the indoor practice facility before Walker Pavillion was built could be easily removed.

The problem, of course, is that it wasn't a terribly brilliant move to build an office building in the end zone of the stadium. Eventually that will have to be undone and if it the costs can be offset by premium seating, we should do it.

Well, the old indoor practice facility is still pretty much the same. I was in their in October and it still has the artificial turf and stuff -- I'm not sure what it's use is other than athletic functions & a place for the players to stage before running on the field. That part of the BAC could be removed or reworked. I sort of envision a way in which the new seats and the existing builiding are intertwined, perhaps creating a nice new fieldhouse area beneath the new seats, or maybe incorporating the Sports Hall of Fame in to the structure. But, it's not like I have any say, and some of the people in the BAC have offices with a view that I'm sure they wouldn't want to give up (namely, Frank).

I think there will be very few athletic facility improvements in the coming years. The main mover behind the past upgrades is gone and there is no one with his influence to push for more. Chancellor White will focus more on academic issues and the athletic programs will diminish in importance. The fans that have been unhappy with the past will be even more unhappy in the future. After next season a 10-4 football record will be even more hard to come by.

People forget that the University of Arkansas is a small school in a small, poor southern state that spreads it's few financial resources among too many higher education institutions. I realize that the Foundation is the funding behind most of the athletic programs but without Coach Broyles as the head cheerleader the past donors will drift away. The UA has a small recruiting base as it is. The current turmoil will discourage other potential recruits in all sports from coming here. I hope I'm just pessimistic, but I feel we've been in the Golden Age of the Razorback and it is coming to an end. :(

I think there will be very few athletic facility improvements in the coming years. The main mover behind the past upgrades is gone and there is no one with his influence to push for more. Chancellor White will focus more on academic issues and the athletic programs will diminish in importance. The fans that have been unhappy with the past will be even more unhappy in the future. After next season a 10-4 football record will be even more hard to come by.

People forget that the University of Arkansas is a small school in a small, poor southern state that spreads it's few financial resources among too many higher education institutions. I realize that the Foundation is the funding behind most of the athletic programs but without Coach Broyles as the head cheerleader the past donors will drift away. The UA has a small recruiting base as it is. The current turmoil will discourage other potential recruits in all sports from coming here. I hope I'm just pessimistic, but I feel we've been in the Golden Age of the Razorback and it is coming to an end. :(

I disagree that funding will drop off without Frank.

Fundraising isn't magic. Most of the largest donors seem very interested in the athletic department at the U of A. I don't think Frank has a lot to do with their interest at this point.

He does deserve credit for building a strong foundation in the earlier years of the athletic department, but I don't see any reason why funding won't continue to increase as wealth grows in NWA.

Its a nice tax write-off for those who need it, and there's no bigger event in Arkansas than Razorback Football games.

As the primary source of athletic facility funding is the Razorback Foundation and other private donors, I don't believe White will have much say at all in future improvements to UA athletic facilities.

White wants to increase enrollment, and there's no greater exposure for the U of A than a few nationwide television broadcast sporting events. I can't imagine he'd be very anti-sports for that reason.

I think you are just pessimistic. And I sure hope this isn't the Golden Age of the Razorback. If it is, it hasn't been much of a Golden Age. :rolleyes:

No offense but I totally disagree with this statement being such a negative: "People forget that the University of Arkansas is a small school in a small, poor southern state that spreads it's few financial resources among too many higher education institutions.".

Arkansas has no competition in terms of major universities in-state. ASU, UCA, and UALR are a couple tiers below the UA academically and particularly athletically. Our state per capita income may be low but we sure have a lot of billionaires, the kind of people it takes to fund a university and the Waltons, Tysons, etc have done that, endowing UA well beyond its peers in the region. People that make $50-150k aren't the ones giving massive amounts of money to university endowments.

When it comes to Arkansas football, everything will change when we have a new coach. I would put all of my chips on that to happen next season regardless of the outcome.

Broyles was an excellent fund-raiser in many ways but he made a lot of enemies as well. He pushed the Stephens family and the LR camp away during the stadium debate. The vast majority of the private facility donations came from Waltons or Tysons (along with the Reynolds Foundation) and I believe they would've been there with Hatfield or Phillips as AD as well.

As for the Golden Age of the Razorback, I think it ended in 1995, really probably in 1989 when Hatfield left - at that time we excelled in both basketball and football. It will be back with the right staff.

It's good to read some positive comments about the University and the athletic program's future prospects. I may be playing devil's advocate and the future is brighter than I've depicted. I'll keep buying my season tickets regardless.

cocothief,

Hopefully you are right and fund raising won't take a hit. I wonder if some of those donors will see this as an opportunity to redirect their giving to other causes. Some of them are Coach Broyle's former players and associates that may see it as a break from the program they knew and will be hesitant to support the new officials in charge. You are right about the advertising aspect- national television exposure is a great student recruiting tool.

Aporkalypse,

That is a negative statement but I think it is accurate. Of the SEC peers, Arkansas is tied with Ole Miss as the 3rd smallest school. Only MSU and Vanderbilt are smaller. The state of Arkansas is indeed 49th in per capita income and 32nd in population. While the University is the flagship school in the state, there are 11 more 4 year schools, 22 two year schools and 12 independent schools of higher education. There are just too many for the resources available.

You are right about the support of the very wealthy in the state. What the Waltons, Tysons and other donors have done for the University in education and athletic support is very laudable. It is great to see them put their money back into the the local area. Hopefully we'll see academic excellence and athletic success because of it. :)

Archived