University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Yeah that's sorta an odd situation. They had it open for the SEC meet earlier in the year and they apparently simply covered a lot of stuff up to make it look like almost all the construction was over. But I've noticed they're still doing work on it. Now that the meet is over they seem to be taking their time on it now.

When I went by a few nights ago, I could only see some Tyvek and Dry wall on one of the grand stands. The rest of it looked finished though.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like someone to explain why the UA is trimming their budget due to lower than expected enrollment, yet they have that much money in their "savings account". People can draw from savings account. Why doesn't UA do that?

You cannot withdraw money from our endowment fund. We only use the income from that money--i.e., interest or return on the money as it is invested. We don't get that great of a return, either. We plan on about 5% annually.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard what's going on with the parking deck on campus? I was going over there to take pics. I tried the elevators but they looked to be shut off so I went up the stairs. I got so far before I came up to a fence. So I went over to the other stairwell to another fence. They also had the top fenced off from vehicles going up to the top also. Is there some sort of construction going on up there?

Anyone heard what's going on with the parking deck on campus? I was going over there to take pics. I tried the elevators but they looked to be shut off so I went up the stairs. I got so far before I came up to a fence. So I went over to the other stairwell to another fence. They also had the top fenced off from vehicles going up to the top also. Is there some sort of construction going on up there?

I noticed this as well. The final level is blocked off for some reason. I'm not sure why it's blocked off.

I noticed this as well. The final level is blocked off for some reason. I'm not sure why it's blocked off.

It almost looked to me that there has to be some sort of construction going on. Not sure what other reason they'd shut it down like that. But I don't know what they'd be doing up there. Granted I'm not around usually during peak usage but I never see it totally filled. That and if they were expanding it I would imagine we'd hear something about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Some sweet pictures of Baum renovations I found on a Hog site...

Baum Stadium

This should be enough to put Baum back as the #1 college baseball stadium in America, it's never really dropped below 5th.

It's funny how NLR and Springdale are putting all of this money into pro baseball stadia that will never be better than the 2nd best baseball stadium in the state. Baum is just ridiculous.

Some sweet pictures of Baum renovations I found on a Hog site...

Baum Stadium

This should be enough to put Baum back as the #1 college baseball stadium in America, it's never really dropped below 5th.

It's funny how NLR and Springdale are putting all of this money into pro baseball stadia that will never be better than the 2nd best baseball stadium in the state. Baum is just ridiculous.

I completely agree, Baum has got to be the best college baseball stadium in the country. I think it would have been much better if they would just get more use out of it by not building a new one in S-dale and somehow working out a deal to use this one. But I am sure it would be too difficult and they probably would not be able to sell beer since it is on campus.

I completely agree, Baum has got to be the best college baseball stadium in the country. I think it would have been much better if they would just get more use out of it by not building a new one in S-dale and somehow working out a deal to use this one. But I am sure it would be too difficult and they probably would not be able to sell beer since it is on campus.

The way to do that would be to make Baum off-campus, which isn't a stretch considering how far away from the rest of the campus it is. That would also let them use the track center for events.

Lincoln, NE built a dual purpose stadium off-campus that the Huskers and the minor league team use, so it can be done.

However, this won't be reversed now and Springdale will get their new stadium next year.

The way to do that would be to make Baum off-campus, which isn't a stretch considering how far away from the rest of the campus it is. That would also let them use the track center for events.

Actually it is off campus and the University could sell alcohol there.......if they would. The Randall Tyson Center (adjacent to Baum) is also off campus and alcohol is permitted to be sold (and is sold) there at non-UA events (concerts, shows, Arkansas Stars games, etc). The University itsself doesn't sell the booze, it is contracted out. A couple of local businessmen hold the actual alcohol permit for the Randall Tyson Track Center and they must pay a portion of sales to the UA. Something about an ice cold beer at a baseball game........I wish the UA would loosen up a bit, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Actually it is off campus and the University could sell alcohol there.......if they would. The Randall Tyson Center (adjacent to Baum) is also off campus and alcohol is permitted to be sold (and is sold) there at non-UA events (concerts, shows, Arkansas Stars games, etc). The University itsself doesn't sell the booze, it is contracted out. A couple of local businessmen hold the actual alcohol permit for the Randall Tyson Track Center and they must pay a portion of sales to the UA. Something about an ice cold beer at a baseball game........I wish the UA would loosen up a bit, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Oh, thanks for the info OnDickson, I had no idea. In fact I have never even been in the Tyson Track complex.

I think LSU fans would argue that. I think they're also doing some expansion on their baseball stadium as well. But anyway Baum is still certainly up there. I'll have to get out there and take some pics after the holidays are all over.

Weird I thought because the university owned the land that it would still be classified as the campus, even if it's not directly connected to the rest of campus. I don't guess I've heard of them selling beer at events held at the Randall Tyson Track Center.

• 1 month later...

Is that metal roofing on the Maple Hill Dorms? Unusual, but I hear metal roofing has lots of benefits over regular plywood.

Also, how many seats are they adding at Baum? It looks like at least a few hundred.

You know I'm not sure. But either way I'm pretty sure they'll be putting something on top of it.

I can't remember exactly how many seats they're adding to Baum but I think it's more than a few hundred. My pics don't really do it justice. If you took away the very center area directly behind home plate it looks like their doubling the side seating on both sides. I guess construction will keep going on as the baseball season starts. Although I thought I heard something about the baseball team having to start off the season by a number of games on the road. They could be doing what they did with the outdoor track facility. They'll technically have it open for the season. But it's not really going to be complete and there will be a lot of 'cosmetic' work to be done while the season goes on.

I couldn't tell if they added the lower seating stands or just the upper deck seating. I've never been to Baum.

You've never been to Baum Stadium? You should go sometime this year, it is a great experience and usually alot of fun. At least if you enjoy baseball. Hopefully the currently ranked #4 Razorbacks can stay ranked where they are. They did win yesterday at Lousiana Tech 4-2. So they are a perfect 1-0 thus far. I think there is either 1 or 2 more games today down in Lousiana.

You've never been to Baum Stadium? You should go sometime this year, it is a great experience and usually alot of fun. At least if you enjoy baseball. Hopefully the currently ranked #4 Razorbacks can stay ranked where they are. They did win yesterday at Lousiana Tech 4-2. So they are a perfect 1-0 thus far. I think there is either 1 or 2 more games today down in Lousiana.

Yeah I'm curious to see how a expanded Baum will be. I'm not sure if it will place Baum above LSU's stadium seating or not. They are I think the only other team in the country with higher attendance. But then again I think I've heard LSU will be expanding theirs in the near future as well.

The expansion of Baum Stadium will add 21 new sky boxes to the stadium, making boxes down the line to the left and right foul poll. Also, under the sky boxes they are adding covered seats which will add approx. 1,300 chair back seats to the stadium. Also, they are expanding the "trough" in the outfield, making it three times as large. There are some pictures of what the stadium will look like when its complete, and I'll try to post them later.

The expansion of Baum Stadium will add 21 new sky boxes to the stadium, making boxes down the line to the left and right foul poll. Also, under the sky boxes they are adding covered seats which will add approx. 1,300 chair back seats to the stadium. Also, they are expanding the "trough" in the outfield, making it three times as large. There are some pictures of what the stadium will look like when its complete, and I'll try to post them later.

Thanks for the info Razorbackfan. Do you know the total capacity after this expansion? I would have to guess around or over 10,000.

Archived