University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Oh, cocotheif, I thought I was being fairly specific in giving 5 reasons. So either you didn't make a joke, or I just don't get it. I apologize to the thread for straying so far off topic.

I just find "generational" stereotyping to be basically worthless.

Your post made several sweeping generalizations about "your generation" with regards to what they "generally" find appealing in higher education.

Generally speaking, generalizations of that nature are not a very good basis for arguements. Its so "Baby Boomer-ish" to adhere to what amounts to a grand marketing strategy.

"Generation X" was a book. Then it become a generational definition, complete with its own set of rules. Fashion, lowered expectations, diminished opportunities, etc. etc.. Then the internet boom happened, and the "slackers" as defined by a book, and later by pop-psychologists and marketing executives, became rather successful. Not all, but many, and in retrospect, generational categorizatoin and generalization was just a way to sell books, clothes, music, whatever... You can't rigidly define "generational" behavior, why should you try?

And frankly, given that large state institutions of higher education across the board don't appear to be losing applicants or attendees, I'd say its pretty baseless as well.

"Your generation" as you put it, has given the University of Arkansas its highest enrollment numbers ever, for example. Higher academic standings, too.

I believe your assumptions about your generation and how it relates to higher education in Arkansas largely have to do with the recent success of UCA.

In my opinion, UCA's success has more to do with the growth of NWA than anything. In fact, I'd wager that the same urge to "get away" from home which you claim no longer exists has been the primary driver in UCA's growth.

Its just that for a growing percentage of the state's population, "getting away from home" means heading to central Arkansas rather than Northwest Arkansas.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**I can't get my quote tags to work, so I bolded astrife's words.**

When people hear liberal arts colleges they expect it to be chock full of history, philosophy, and sociology majors. It really is a travesty that people think like that. I think something like 40% of Hendrix students major in the natural sciences, and the majority will do research with their professors. There's a list somewhere on the web that i saw showing the percentage of students that go on to get ph.d's in the sciences and Hendrix was like top 30 or 40, it was right in front of places like Johns Hopkins University. It really is kind of silly the way people stereotype instituitions like Hendrix.

Where did I say that the majority of kids major in history or philosophy? I simply said those programs were probably superior to the UA's. I realize there are a ton of kids in the sciences.

Anyway, we weren't speaking about the average student at the respective colleges. We were talking about the quality of the education received at respective colleges. Sure, I'll grant you that Hendrix has a more impressive student body on average. Of course they do, they are about 7% the size of the UA. Their business is to be selective. If the UA wanted to be that way, it's student population would be just as impressive, probably moreso.

If you want engineering, Hendrix has a program with Columbia, Vanderbilt, or Washington University in St. where you do your first two years here then finish there. Top undergraduate engineering education in the upperclassmen years requires a top notch grad school behind it, that's why many liberal arts colleges defer to the top tier research institutions. Imagine, starting out at Hendrix then finishing with an Ivy League degree? You cannot get that at the UA.

You don't think you can transfer from the UA to an Ivy? Of course you can. But who cares if they have formal program for that or not. The real point here is that you are pointing it as a positive that you can transfer from Hendrix to get your degree. Sorry, but that doesn't impress me in the least.

I will grant you the business thing, that's not really Hendrix's thing as well as nursing, but Hendrix really isn't a vocational school in the nursing sense. As for the research component, it's a required component of many majors at Hendrix. I started biology research at Hendrix my freshman year, that's something the UA is too big with too many grad students to offer. The grad schools that kids get accepted to from Hendrix is a much more impressive list even though it's got 1/14th the students.

I never knocked Hendrix's science programs, I just don't think you are THAT much better off at Hendrix than the UA. If you don't think there are plenty of research opportunities at the UA you aren't paying attention. And, once again, just because more kids may do research at Hendrix doesn't make it a school with more opportunities or quality. Just because kids might not take advantage of certain aspects of the UA doesn't mean it.

Also, I'll repeat myself again on another point. Just because a greater % of students from Hendrix go to grad schools or whatever doesn't make it a better school. It is simply a smaller school that is in the business of being selective. The UA could do the same thing if they wanted.

In the last five years grads going to Law school got into: Harvard, Yale, Emory, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Notre Dame, NYU, Columbia, Southern Methodist University, Duke, and many more lesser known instituitions

In the last five years Medical school grads went to: Baylor, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Emory, and again many more lesser known instituitions

For grad school in general Hendrix's grads went to all these well known schools and more.

You don't think the UA doesn't have a laundry list like this every year?

I'm sorry, but save for business, UA's got nothing on Hendrix

I'm sorry, but I stand by my original assertion. Hendrix is a very good school, but overall it offers less opportunity and, in my opinion, is no more of a quality institution than the UA.

**I can't get my quote tags to work, so I bolded astrife's words.**

Where did I say that the majority of kids major in history or philosophy? I simply said those programs were probably superior to the UA's. I realize there are a ton of kids in the sciences.

Anyway, we weren't speaking about the average student at the respective colleges. We were talking about the quality of the education received at respective colleges. Sure, I'll grant you that Hendrix has a more impressive student body on average. Of course they do, they are about 7% the size of the UA. Their business is to be selective. If the UA wanted to be that way, it's student population would be just as impressive, probably moreso.

If you want engineering, Hendrix has a program with Columbia, Vanderbilt, or Washington University in St. where you do your first two years here then finish there. Top undergraduate engineering education in the upperclassmen years requires a top notch grad school behind it, that's why many liberal arts colleges defer to the top tier research institutions. Imagine, starting out at Hendrix then finishing with an Ivy League degree? You cannot get that at the UA.

You don't think you can transfer from the UA to an Ivy? Of course you can. But who cares if they have formal program for that or not. The real point here is that you are pointing it as a positive that you can transfer from Hendrix to get your degree. Sorry, but that doesn't impress me in the least.

I will grant you the business thing, that's not really Hendrix's thing as well as nursing, but Hendrix really isn't a vocational school in the nursing sense. As for the research component, it's a required component of many majors at Hendrix. I started biology research at Hendrix my freshman year, that's something the UA is too big with too many grad students to offer. The grad schools that kids get accepted to from Hendrix is a much more impressive list even though it's got 1/14th the students.

I never knocked Hendrix's science programs, I just don't think you are THAT much better off at Hendrix than the UA. If you don't think there are plenty of research opportunities at the UA you aren't paying attention. And, once again, just because more kids may do research at Hendrix doesn't make it a school with more opportunities or quality. Just because kids might not take advantage of certain aspects of the UA doesn't mean it.

Also, I'll repeat myself again on another point. Just because a greater % of students from Hendrix go to grad schools or whatever doesn't make it a better school. It is simply a smaller school that is in the business of being selective. The UA could do the same thing if they wanted.

In the last five years grads going to Law school got into: Harvard, Yale, Emory, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Notre Dame, NYU, Columbia, Southern Methodist University, Duke, and many more lesser known instituitions

In the last five years Medical school grads went to: Baylor, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Emory, and again many more lesser known instituitions

For grad school in general Hendrix's grads went to all these well known schools and more.

You don't think the UA doesn't have a laundry list like this every year?

I'm sorry, but save for business, UA's got nothing on Hendrix

I'm sorry, but I stand by my original assertion. Hendrix is a very good school, but overall it offers less opportunity and, in my opinion, is no more of a quality institution than the UA.

You are correct that the UA must cater to a broader diversity of talents amongst its students; that's obvious as it's a state school. Hendrix is more selective, and therefore has a higher stats in a number of areas. But my assertion, which I should have made clearer, is that the average student (whatever that may be) will graduate from Hendrix with more knowledge/better cognitive skills/more respect from grad schools than if that same average student graduated from the UA. I base this off a) smaller classes, more interaction with professors b) intellectualesque community which I think facilitates growing up mentally much more c) reputation of Hendrix beyond just Arkansas grad schools

When I was deciding between going to the UA and Hendrix, the UA specifically did not have that laundry list of grad schools that people were accepted to like Hendrix. This is one of the primary reasons I went to Hendrix instead.

My friend and I both graduated from Fayetteville High School. He went to the UA and I went to Hendrix. We are majoring in the same thing, except he wants to go to dental school and I want to go to medical school. When he tells me about his courses where he's primarily taught by a graduate student, or the courses where the professor is foreign and has a horrible accent which forces him to have to learn the material completely on his own, I'm kind of glad I came here. I realize I have a bias as I go to Hendrix, but I still feel like unobjectively I would've graduated slightly worse off had I gone to the UA. Boy do I miss Fayetteville though; Conway sucks more than you could imagine.

You are correct that the UA must cater to a broader diversity of talents amongst its students; that's obvious as it's a state school. Hendrix is more selective, and therefore has a higher stats in a number of areas. But my assertion, which I should have made clearer, is that the average student (whatever that may be) will graduate from Hendrix with more knowledge/better cognitive skills/more respect from grad schools than if that same average student graduated from the UA. I base this off a) smaller classes, more interaction with professors b) intellectualesque community which I think facilitates growing up mentally much more c) reputation of Hendrix beyond just Arkansas grad schools

When I was deciding between going to the UA and Hendrix, the UA specifically did not have that laundry list of grad schools that people were accepted to like Hendrix. This is one of the primary reasons I went to Hendrix instead.

My friend and I both graduated from Fayetteville High School. He went to the UA and I went to Hendrix. We are majoring in the same thing, except he wants to go to dental school and I want to go to medical school. When he tells me about his courses where he's primarily taught by a graduate student, or the courses where the professor is foreign and has a horrible accent which forces him to have to learn the material completely on his own, I'm kind of glad I came here. I realize I have a bias as I go to Hendrix, but I still feel like unobjectively I would've graduated slightly worse off had I gone to the UA. Boy do I miss Fayetteville though; Conway sucks more than you could imagine.

Dont discount the factor $ play into the differences between private schools and public school outcomes.

By that, I mean there are tons of bright kids at UA for whom graduate school isn't really an option because they have no way to pay for it, regardless of their qualifications.

A large number work their way through their undergrad as well. (Like me)

To attend a fine school like Hendrix, one must be both academically bright, and financially blessed.

I had a 31 ACT out of high school, but for me, Hendrix was never an option. I was poor. Heck, I'm still paying for my UA education. I can't imagine the loans I would have had to take on to get a degree at Hendrix.

Plus, no football team. :thumbsup:

I just find "generational" stereotyping to be basically worthless.

Generally speaking, generalizations of that nature are not a very good basis for arguements. Its so "Baby Boomer-ish" to adhere to what amounts to a grand marketing strategy.

"Generation X" was a book. Then it become a generational definition, complete with its own set of rules. Fashion, lowered expectations, diminished opportunities, etc. etc.. Then the internet boom happened, and the "slackers" as defined by a book, and later by pop-psychologists and marketing executives, became rather successful. Not all, but many, and in retrospect, generational categorizatoin and generalization was just a way to sell books, clothes, music, whatever... You can't rigidly define "generational" behavior, why should you try?

In my opinion, UCA's success has more to do with the growth of NWA than anything. In fact, I'd wager that the same urge to "get away" from home which you claim no longer exists has been the primary driver in UCA's growth.

Its just that for a growing percentage of the state's population, "getting away from home" means heading to central Arkansas rather than Northwest Arkansas.

Well, if the Baby Boomer thing is just a marketing strategy, then it's one hell of an affective marketing strategy, I'd say. I don't think I ever meant to rigidly define people my age. Of course there are exceptions. But don't you agree that nearly every generation in modern America has been defined by the very things that you say should not define them: clothes, music, books, etc? And then there's age, but I guess because that is such an intangible thing it's not as interesting to some people.

"My generation" as I put it is also a book (or books): Millennials Rising and Millennials Go to College by Willaim Strauss and Neil Howe. I've been reading those books and I guess I've bought in to what they say, mostly because through my dealings with people my age and yonger, the books seem pretty accurate. Not completely accurate, but certainly some true assumptions are made.

I would agree with UCA's growth being in large part to do with NWA. I can't recall how many people I met at UCA from NWA/The River Valley who told me they "hated" NWA, "hated" the UA, or "hated" the Hogs. Certainly there were also many fans of the region/school/team there. Either way, there seemed to be a desire to escape NWA among some, and others because it was cheaper or UCA had a certain program that was of interest. But still, UCA isn't that far from anyone living in AR, which I think at least somewhat supports my theory that "my generation" doesn't feel it's so important to go to school far away from where you grew up, in order to "get out," if you know what I mean.

But don't you agree that nearly every generation in modern America has been defined by the very things that you say should not define them: clothes, music, books, etc?

No. Fashion and music don't define anything except what fashion and music were popular given a certain time.

First off, "generations" aren't easily defined. Second, regardless of when a person was born, their life is influenced by so many local, personal, and familial things that making grand assumptions and predictions about future behavior en masse is not easy, nor is it a concern to anyone who isn't trying to market something.

I find that it started with "Baby Boomers" who were labeled due to the large number of post WWII births, and then somewhere, some went out to define what that meant. They, in turn, labeled the generation before them, after them, and now they've labled yours.

Its a very self-absorbed notion, that of the "Baby Boomer" and all their "unique" circumstances.

Way off topic... but here goes.

Every time I turn on the tv, I see some "new" "special" way in which the lives of so-called "Baby-Boomers" are unique.

Great example...

Self absorbed "Baby Boomer" journalist starts whining about how they are the "sandwich generation". OH woe is me, poor "Baby Boomers" are stuck between caring for their children, and simultaneously taking care of or making arrangements for their aging parents. Dateline NBC does a weeklong special on the "unique" challenges facing "Baby Boomers" as they enter this stage of life.

Ok...this is unique how? Hasn't EVERY "generation" of Americans, and HUMAN BEINGS for that matter had to deal with the same thing?? Unprecedented? NO....

Only when its applied with a marketing strategy in mind, sells books, sells whatever, does it become more meaningful and "special". Or in the case of the first media generation, Boomers, feeds the narcissism and navel-gazing they all seem to have an insatiable desire for... (oh no, stereotypes)

If there's a defining characteristic of the "Baby Boom" in my opinion, its that they all watch too much tv, and tend to be incredibly guillable and simultaneously self-centered. There I go, doing what I don't think we should do.

I don't want to disrespect you, but rather challenge you to question what you're reading. Millenials et. al. whatever book is a pre-emptive attempt at marketing first and foremost a book to people who want to feel like they belong to a unique and special clique. "We're different! Here's how!"

While I do agree that in a media saturated era, certain world events will undoubtedly influence the way certain people of certain age groups view the world, I believe more than anything that media and popular culture tend to shape that perception.

Ironic, as GenXers are prone to be, that a book about how "your generation" views the world will influence how you view the world.

But as everyone knows, we GenXers are all just cynical beotchs anyway. :scared:

Carry on...

I thought they were thinking about putting this in Lowell. Did the plans change, or am I simply mistaken? It's great news however for the former Washington Regional building and for all downtown business.

No, the children's medical facility is going to be located in Lowell.

Dont discount the factor $ play into the differences between private schools and public school outcomes.

By that, I mean there are tons of bright kids at UA for whom graduate school isn't really an option because they have no way to pay for it, regardless of their qualifications.

To attend a fine school like Hendrix, one must be both academically bright, and financially blessed.

I had a 31 ACT out of high school, but for me, Hendrix was never an option. I was poor. Heck, I'm still paying for my UA education. I can't imagine the loans I would have had to take on to get a degree at Hendrix.

Yeah, I do understand that. For the academically inclined scholarships are plenty at Hendrix though. If I hadn't gotten a scholarship I'd be at the UA right now myself.

No. Fashion and music don't define anything except what fashion and music were popular given a certain time.

First off, "generations" aren't easily defined. Second, regardless of when a person was born, their life is influenced by so many local, personal, and familial things that making grand assumptions and predictions about future behavior en masse is not easy, nor is it a concern to anyone who isn't trying to market something.

I find that it started with "Baby Boomers" who were labeled due to the large number of post WWII births, and then somewhere, some went out to define what that meant. They, in turn, labeled the generation before them, after them, and now they've labled yours.

Its a very self-absorbed notion, that of the "Baby Boomer" and all their "unique" circumstances.

Way off topic... but here goes.

Every time I turn on the tv, I see some "new" "special" way in which the lives of so-called "Baby-Boomers" are unique.

Great example...

Self absorbed "Baby Boomer" journalist starts whining about how they are the "sandwich generation". OH woe is me, poor "Baby Boomers" are stuck between caring for their children, and simultaneously taking care of or making arrangements for their aging parents. Dateline NBC does a weeklong special on the "unique" challenges facing "Baby Boomers" as they enter this stage of life.

Ok...this is unique how? Hasn't EVERY "generation" of Americans, and HUMAN BEINGS for that matter had to deal with the same thing?? Unprecedented? NO....

Only when its applied with a marketing strategy in mind, sells books, sells whatever, does it become more meaningful and "special". Or in the case of the first media generation, Boomers, feeds the narcissism and navel-gazing they all seem to have an insatiable desire for... (oh no, stereotypes)

If there's a defining characteristic of the "Baby Boom" in my opinion, its that they all watch too much tv, and tend to be incredibly guillable and simultaneously self-centered. There I go, doing what I don't think we should do.

I don't want to disrespect you, but rather challenge you to question what you're reading. Millenials et. al. whatever book is a pre-emptive attempt at marketing first and foremost a book to people who want to feel like they belong to a unique and special clique. "We're different! Here's how!"

While I do agree that in a media saturated era, certain world events will undoubtedly influence the way certain people of certain age groups view the world, I believe more than anything that media and popular culture tend to shape that perception.

Ironic, as GenXers are prone to be, that a book about how "your generation" views the world will influence how you view the world.

But as everyone knows, we GenXers are all just cynical beotchs anyway. :scared:

Carry on...

I whole-heartedly agree.

Except I don't know about stating that the "baby-boomer" generation was the first to be a labeled generation with their own self-perceived identity. I would have to think that in some culture, some society, in some country some time in the past, there was a surge in population where a generation was defined by that society, who embraced their own "uniqueness", challenges, sufferings, etc., that they have identified for themselves. That makes me gag. But it seems to me human nature.

Of course, with the modern media notions of social identity, social phenomenon, etc. can spread wide and far, and quickly.

I whole-heartedly agree.

Except I don't know about stating that the "baby-boomer" generation was the first to be a labeled generation with their own self-perceived identity. I would have to think that in some culture, some society, in some country some time in the past, there was a surge in population where a generation was defined by that society, who embraced their own "uniqueness", challenges, sufferings, etc., that they have identified for themselves. That makes me gag. But it seems to me human nature.

Of course, with the modern media notions of social identity, social phenomenon, etc. can spread wide and far, and quickly.

:alc:

The Boomer mindset is a byproduct of mass media. They consumed it, just like everything else they consumed, without any context or perspective because "they were first!".

It never ends.....

Back to U of A projects.... :whistling:

I had one out of two and I'm a Hendrix alum.

The no football was a reason I went there, my family was vehemently opposed to my playing college football. They thought it would get me hurt and keep me from studying. At Hendrix I found both rugby and track and I assure you I would've been better off at Rhodes playing football academically, though I turned out fine.

I would agree with UCA's growth being in large part to do with NWA. I can't recall how many people I met at UCA from NWA/The River Valley who told me they "hated" NWA, "hated" the UA, or "hated" the Hogs. Certainly there were also many fans of the region/school/team there. Either way, there seemed to be a desire to escape NWA among some, and others because it was cheaper or UCA had a certain program that was of interest. But still, UCA isn't that far from anyone living in AR, which I think at least somewhat supports my theory that "my generation" doesn't feel it's so important to go to school far away from where you grew up, in order to "get out," if you know what I mean.

I never had that experience. Most UCA students or alums I know just chose UCA over UALR because it's more of a true college community with better academics than UALR, and because Conway's a nice college town. You aren't going to find many native Arkansans who are anti-UA or especially anti-Razorbacks.

UCA finally separated itself largely because of academics and taking itself more seriously than any in-state university than UA. It became a very nice second choice for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm suprised this hasn't been posted (and if it has, I looked everywhere for it)....but, the Walton College of Business received a $25.5 million computer system from IBM. As you remember, IBM gave about $6 million worth of computer equipment software/hardware in 2005. Apparently, IBM liked how the university was using the initial investment and gave the university the 25.5 million system.

Here's a link:

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/ibm-...421140409990002

I'm suprised this hasn't been posted (and if it has, I looked everywhere for it)....but, the Walton College of Business received a $25.5 million computer system from IBM. As you remember, IBM gave about $6 million worth of computer equipment software/hardware in 2005. Apparently, IBM liked how the university was using the initial investment and gave the university the 25.5 million system.

Here's a link:

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/ibm-...421140409990002

Yeah I was going to post that but I've busy and out of town. It's pretty impressive, and I guess that is the kind of stuff that makes a school get better rankings (no matter what they do with the stuff). I'd say though, that the WCOB is very proactive with their technology and staff.

• 4 weeks later...

:offtopic:

Sorry this is a bit off topic. But did anyone hear the U of A is going to be one of the very major campuses to totally ban tobacco on campus? I'm curious to see how they're going to enforce it. Sounds like it will slowly go into effect. It sounds like you're not even supposed to be able to smoke in your vehicle if you parked on campus.

:offtopic:

Sorry this is a bit off topic. But did anyone hear the U of A is going to be one of the very major campuses to totally ban tobacco on campus? I'm curious to see how they're going to enforce it. Sounds like it will slowly go into effect. It sounds like you're not even supposed to be able to smoke in your vehicle if you parked on campus.

I wonder what the "buy-in" rationale is about this. Sounds a little too socialistic. Obviously the majority of students don't smoke (80%), and probably those who do smoke (students AND faculty AND staff) have a sizable group of people who don't want to continue smoking. So support for this policy may be large, but what makes "big brother" UA get the right to say this? Obviously Fayetteville's restaurant smoking ban has already been around and this country is leaning towards this now. Also, people would probably benefit from not smoking and it may help them quit, but what else? It seems a little unfair, but I can't come up with a concrete reason why people should not pass this Ban because of modern consensus towards smoking's ill effects.

So how are the sorority girls going to stay thin without smoking anyways? Who is going to be able to promote "wacky-tobacky" if "unwacky-tobacky" is banned?

I wonder what the "buy-in" rationale is about this. Sounds a little too socialistic. Obviously the majority of students don't smoke (80%), and probably those who do smoke (students AND faculty AND staff) have a sizable group of people who don't want to continue smoking. So support for this policy may be large, but what makes "big brother" UA get the right to say this? Obviously Fayetteville's restaurant smoking ban has already been around and this country is leaning towards this now. Also, people would probably benefit from not smoking and it may help them quit, but what else? It seems a little unfair, but I can't come up with a concrete reason why people should not pass this Ban because of modern consensus towards smoking's ill effects.

So how are the sorority girls going to stay thin without smoking anyways? Who is going to be able to promote "wacky-tobacky" if "unwacky-tobacky" is banned?

Honestly I think the U of A is just hitting this before it becomes more mainstream. Sounds like a number of other major universities are looking at this and a number of smaller ones have already jumped on board. But like I said, I'm curious to see just how exactly they'll enforce it.

Honestly I think the U of A is just hitting this before it becomes more mainstream. Sounds like a number of other major universities are looking at this and a number of smaller ones have already jumped on board. But like I said, I'm curious to see just how exactly they'll enforce it.

There would be a riot at Hendrix if this ever happened there. I'd say close to 30-40% of the campus lights up there, and on the weekends at parties it is probably 50%. I'd be real mad if I was a UofA student. I'm going to go smoke right now just out of spite of this government paternalism.

I never had that experience. Most UCA students or alums I know just chose UCA over UALR because it's more of a true college community with better academics than UALR, and because Conway's a nice college town. You aren't going to find many native Arkansans who are anti-UA or especially anti-Razorbacks.

UCA finally separated itself largely because of academics and taking itself more seriously than any in-state university than UA. It became a very nice second choice for everyone.

I found plenty of native Arkansans who were anti-UA/Razorbacks at UCA. Also, plenty who were pro. Of course, this is a different generation, after the UA became known in some circles as the "University of Walton," and maybe the first time where real alternatives to the UA existed in Arkansas.

However I was hanging out with a lot of music-major type people who had a big chip on their shoulders about how much better the UCA Music department was over the UA's. Truthfully, they're both pretty good, but it seemed to me that the UA attracted a lot more kids from Oklahoma & Texas to their music program, whereas UCA plays strong to the in-state crowd.

Also truthfully, UCA was the 2nd place I ended up (after Hendrix). So I'll agree with your statement that it's a good second choice. Certainly it's good for Arkansas to have another academically/athletically-competitive public university.

There are some new projects in the works for the university. Ozark Hall is going to be expanded. Right now it's an L shaped building but they'll be adding a southern wing that will make it U shaped. Apparently the original plans were for it to be that way and it was never finished for some reason. It's supposed to be done in the same Collegiate Gothic style as the rest of the building. I'm curious to see if it will match up well with the rest of the building or stick out. They're also planning a 1,500 space parking deck on the north side of campus on Garland. They mentioned most of the parking is on the south side but most people reach the campus from the north side so they wanted to have more parking there. I'm assuming this will go where there's currently just some makeshift parking on the east side of Garland. No idea how many levels this parking deck will be. It's also supposed to have some ground level retail space as well.

There are some new projects in the works for the university. Ozark Hall is going to be expanded. Right now it's an L shaped building but they'll be adding a southern wing that will make it U shaped. Apparently the original plans were for it to be that way and it was never finished for some reason. It's supposed to be done in the same Collegiate Gothic style as the rest of the building. I'm curious to see if it will match up well with the rest of the building or stick out. They're also planning a 1,500 space parking deck on the north side of campus on Garland. They mentioned most of the parking is on the south side but most people reach the campus from the north side so they wanted to have more parking there. I'm assuming this will go where there's currently just some makeshift parking on the east side of Garland. No idea how many levels this parking deck will be. It's also supposed to have some ground level retail space as well.

I bet we'll see ground broke and the projects finished within a year or so. Would only private developers be able to make plans and stick to them the way the University does. I guess that's mainly due to the sources of financing though.

I do wish the University would have stuck to the Collegiate Gothic style for more buildings, especially in the central part of campus. So many different styles and building materials give it a not-well-planned feel. The addition to the Mullins Library on the east side is very impresssive until you see it from the south side and see it's an add-on. It's still a very attractive campus though.

I bet we'll see ground broke and the projects finished within a year or so. Would only private developers be able to make plans and stick to them the way the University does. I guess that's mainly due to the sources of financing though.

I do wish the University would have stuck to the Collegiate Gothic style for more buildings, especially in the central part of campus. So many different styles and building materials give it a not-well-planned feel. The addition to the Mullins Library on the east side is very impresssive until you see it from the south side and see it's an add-on. It's still a very attractive campus though.

Yeah the university does get things done quickly. But as you said, I think the ways the projects are financed does make a big difference. The different architectural buildings styles is something I hear a number of people complain about. I guess it hasn't bothered me as much as others. I guess the one positive is that you get to see a number of different architectural styles in a somewhat compact area. I think there may be more of a problem in that many buildings aren't particularly notable examples of their architectural style though.

1500 spaces seems like alot. How many spaces is the 9 story lot on Duncan? I doubt this new one will be that tall considering the one on Duncan kind of sits in a hole. Thanks for the info Rob, I had not heard anything about this huge new parking deck.

1500 spaces seems like alot. How many spaces is the 9 story lot on Duncan? I doubt this new one will be that tall considering the one on Duncan kind of sits in a hole. Thanks for the info Rob, I had not heard anything about this huge new parking deck.

It'll probably be around 5 or 6 Floors. I'm a bit suprised by this, Harmon doesn't fill up that much. I went up there plenty of times throughout the school days and the only floor that seemed decently filled was floor 6 or the ground floor.

It's probably the price that prevents so many people from parking there. How much is a pass? $450 $500? Most students just park at the Pit or Lot 56 and take a bus to classes.

It'll probably be around 5 or 6 Floors. I'm a bit suprised by this, Harmon doesn't fill up that much. I went up there plenty of times throughout the school days and the only floor that seemed decently filled was floor 6 or the ground floor.

It's probably the price that prevents so many people from parking there. How much is a pass? $450 $500? Most students just park at the Pit or Lot 56 and take a bus to classes.

It seems to me they are just doing their best to get n'infrastructure in place for their planned future growth. Chancellor White wants to be over 20,000 undergraduate students one day, and the current campus simply couldn't handle that many. It seems they are doing it the smart way, getting the facilities in place to drive student growth instead of letting overcrowding drive facilities growth.

I also hate that they don't stick with one similar architecture feel throughout the campus. It doesnt have to be the same, but at least stick with something similar. Even a mix of the gothic style like Ozark Hall and the more classical look of Old Main would be fine. Just ANY continuity would be nice, I just absolutely don't get it. The new business building is a big box and the JB Hunt classroom building makes no sense whatsoever. It wouldn't have taken much, if anything, to make them fit better into campus. I guess it just makes too much sense.

Also, I wish the campus would dress up the parking decks a bit. An example of this would be Baylor University, whose bricked the outside of their decks so that they blend in with the campus very well. An extra $100,000 would vastly improve the feel of the campus.

It seems to me they are just doing their best to get n'infrastructure in place for their planned future growth. Chancellor White wants to be over 20,000 undergraduate students one day, and the current campus simply couldn't handle that many. It seems they are doing it the smart way, getting the facilities in place to drive student growth instead of letting overcrowding drive facilities growth.

I also hate that they don't stick with one similar architecture feel throughout the campus. It doesnt have to be the same, but at least stick with something similar. Even a mix of the gothic style like Ozark Hall and the more classical look of Old Main would be fine. Just ANY continuity would be nice, I just absolutely don't get it. The new business building is a big box and the JB Hunt classroom building makes no sense whatsoever. It wouldn't have taken much, if anything, to make them fit better into campus. I guess it just makes too much sense.

Also, I wish the campus would dress up the parking decks a bit. An example of this would be Baylor University, whose bricked the outside of their decks so that they blend in with the campus very well. An extra $100,000 would vastly improve the feel of the campus.

True. I hope that they can get more affordable parking throughout the campus as well. The only two large lots are the Pit behind Bud Walton and Lot 56. May'be the rates at this new garage will be cheaper.

Archived