University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

It seems to me they are just doing their best to get n'infrastructure in place for their planned future growth. Chancellor White wants to be over 20,000 undergraduate students one day, and the current campus simply couldn't handle that many. It seems they are doing it the smart way, getting the facilities in place to drive student growth instead of letting overcrowding drive facilities growth.

They are shooting for 22,500 students by 2010. I don't have the numbers from last year but I think they were over 18,000 now.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also hate that they don't stick with one similar architecture feel throughout the campus. It doesnt have to be the same, but at least stick with something similar. Even a mix of the gothic style like Ozark Hall and the more classical look of Old Main would be fine. Just ANY continuity would be nice, I just absolutely don't get it. The new business building is a big box and the JB Hunt classroom building makes no sense whatsoever. It wouldn't have taken much, if anything, to make them fit better into campus. I guess it just makes too much sense.

I hate to disagree with you but I will be teaching in the new WCOB building (Walker Hall) and I think it fits in too well. This stuff all looks the same to me. Looks like it was done in the late 70s/early 80s. Not a great period. I wish the architects would have done something different. That blonde brick sucks. They wanted to use a darker brick but weren't allowed to by us at the WCOB. Too bad. We need diversity in architecture, not sameness. Sameness makes everything bland. Sameness would make us look like a junior college, like it was all built at the same time. The most famous college and university architects always do stuff that is radically different. Check out Perry Dean Rogers, and the science building they did on the campus at Wellesley College if you wanna see what I mean!

I hate to disagree with you but I will be teaching in the new WCOB building (Walker Hall) and I think it fits in too well. This stuff all looks the same to me. Looks like it was done in the late 70s/early 80s. Not a great period. I wish the architects would have done something different. That blonde brick sucks. They wanted to use a darker brick but weren't allowed to by us at the WCOB. Too bad. We need diversity in architecture, not sameness. Sameness makes everything bland. Sameness would make us look like a junior college, like it was all built at the same time. The most famous college and university architects always do stuff that is radically different. Check out Perry Dean Rogers, and the science building they did on the campus at Wellesley College if you wanna see what I mean!

You weren't joking when you said radically different. If that was on the UA campus it would be the most talked about building but I think it would be mostly as the butt of jokes much as the Clinton Library is in LR. I guess it's a question of who is the design of the campus aimed at. Is it for the general taxpaying public or is it meant to be a showcase for architect's work? This particular building would have a hard time passing Fayetteville's compatabilty restrictions. This is a photo of the Welleslley Science Center constructed in the mid 70's. for reference.wellesleysciencecenternw3.jpg

You weren't joking when you said radically different. If that was on the UA campus it would be the most talked about building but I think it would be mostly as the butt of jokes much as the Clinton Library is in LR. I guess it's a question of who is the design of the campus aimed at. Is it for the general taxpaying public or is it meant to be a showcase for architect's work? This particular building would have a hard time passing Fayetteville's compatabilty restrictions. This is a photo of the Welleslley Science Center constructed in the mid 70's. for reference.wellesleysciencecenternw3.jpg

Where is this? I've never seen it on campus.

Just curious, what do you teach? I'd be very interested to hear some of your perspective on the University since you are teaching there.

And, I see what you are saying, but I would hate to ever see anything like that building anywhere near the university. That thing is awful.

Just curious, what do you teach? I'd be very interested to hear some of your perspective on the University since you are teaching there.

And, I see what you are saying, but I would hate to ever see anything like that building anywhere near the university. That thing is awful.

I teach entrepreneurship at the Walton College. I love the U of A and think it's a great school--especially for what it costs to go there. I have a daughter there as well in the Fulbright College.

I wouldn't mind seeing the new WCOB building in the traditional collegiate gothic style, like the addition to the library.

I swear, the offset, blue tinted windows are horrible. Its an awful building. Blonde brick rarely suits my taste.

Such a shame to spend so much money building something brand new, only to instantly transport it architecturally to the 1970s.

If you must go retro, at least go to some decade with a little taste. <_<

I wouldn't mind seeing the new WCOB building in the traditional collegiate gothic style, like the addition to the library.

I swear, the offset, blue tinted windows are horrible. Its an awful building. Blonde brick rarely suits my taste.

Such a shame to spend so much money building something brand new, only to instantly transport it architecturally to the 1970s.

If you must go retro, at least go to some decade with a little taste. <_<

No disagreement from me. The building looks too much like our current building. But the truth is, the powers that get buildings built on campuses wanted it to blend in. It does have some fantastic interior spaces and unbelieveable classrooms.

No disagreement from me. The building looks too much like our current building. But the truth is, the powers that get buildings built on campuses wanted it to blend in. It does have some fantastic interior spaces and unbelieveable classrooms.

I do like how the original WCOB main building has beveled style window ledges that give some depth and make it somewhat appealing and textural, even though its blonde brick.

• 2 months later...

KUAF, the University of Arkansas NPR affiliate radio station, is moving to a new location if plans work out. The building at the nortwest corner of School and Mountain directly north of the Fayetteville Public Library will be the home if the UA Board of Trustees approves the purchase. An extensive renovation project is planned also. I think this is a great idea and location. It will redevelop a building that needs it and give the radio station much needed space to broadcast from. A major fund-raising program will be needed to accomplish what it needed. Hopefully the listeners will step forward to help them reach their goal.

KUAF Article

KUAF, the University of Arkansas NPR affiliate radio station, is moving to a new location if plans work out. The building at the nortwest corner of School and Mountain directly north of the Fayetteville Public Library will be the home if the UA Board of Trustees approves the purchase. An extensive renovation project is planned also. I think this is a great idea and location. It will redevelop a building that needs it and give the radio station much needed space to broadcast from. A major fund-raising program will be needed to accomplish what it needed. Hopefully the listeners will step forward to help them reach their goal.

KUAF Article

Oh yeah, I heard about that a little while back and forgot to mention that. Sounds like a good deal to me too. I think it's also interesting that they'll be right next to the library as well.

I thought I remembered someone mentioning this but now I can't remember and I can't seem to find it in this topic either. Anyway looks like 4-5 houses just east of the parking deck have been torn down. I think someone mentioned that the U of A was doing something over there. Looked like one maybe two houses were still just across the street east of the parking deck. Not sure if it will be going too. I'll also mention the top of the parking deck is STILL closed. Not sure what's going on. I never see any work being done up there. Seems odd to just close it because there aren't enough people parking to fill it all up or something.

futureuofaprojectbs6.jpg

Did you walk up into the new courtyard Mith?

It's very, very nice. Has a fountain, trees, etc.

I noticed the houses being torn down the other day. I wonder what is going on there? I guess the University is trying to move in that direction a little bit. Not too much room for future growth on the Hill these days.

The parking deck is fantastic, very nice, very convenient, however....I'm no economist, but it seems to me that if the parking deck was more affordable, the university would make more money. I would love to park in the deck, but the $550 is a little steep. They fill up about a third of it during the busiest times of the week. Seems if they charged $200 or $250 per person and filled it up, everyone would come out ahead.

All that said, they will probably begin to sell a few more spots because of the proximity of the new buildings.

Thanks for the pics.

The WCOB building isn't horrible, I guess, but the Hunt building is bad.

Didn't the U of A just spend a bunch of money redo-ing the exterior of the Science/Engineering building on Dickson? You know, the one that looked just like this new Hunt building does....

:unsure:

Did you walk up into the new courtyard Mith?

It's very, very nice. Has a fountain, trees, etc.

I noticed the houses being torn down the other day. I wonder what is going on there? I guess the University is trying to move in that direction a little bit. Not too much room for future growth on the Hill these days.

The parking deck is fantastic, very nice, very convenient, however....I'm no economist, but it seems to me that if the parking deck was more affordable, the university would make more money. I would love to park in the deck, but the $550 is a little steep. They fill up about a third of it during the busiest times of the week. Seems if they charged $200 or $250 per person and filled it up, everyone would come out ahead.

All that said, they will probably begin to sell a few more spots because of the proximity of the new buildings.

I guess not, I wasn't aware there was a courtyard.

Thanks for the pics.

The WCOB building isn't horrible, I guess, but the Hunt building is bad.

Didn't the U of A just spend a bunch of money redo-ing the exterior of the Science/Engineering building on Dickson? You know, the one that looked just like this new Hunt building does....

:unsure:

Yeah I know a lot of people don't care for the color of the brick, but I guess it doesn't bother me too much. I think the WCOB is interesting. But I do admit the Hunt Building doesn't do anything for me. They may be redoing the exterior of the Science Engineering Building. That does sound familiar. But I didn't notice, I just took a few shots to the north and south from the parking deck.

I thought I remembered someone mentioning this but now I can't remember and I can't seem to find it in this topic either. Anyway looks like 4-5 houses just east of the parking deck have been torn down. I think someone mentioned that the U of A was doing something over there. Looked like one maybe two houses were still just across the street east of the parking deck. Not sure if it will be going too. I'll also mention the top of the parking deck is STILL closed. Not sure what's going on. I never see any work being done up there. Seems odd to just close it because there aren't enough people parking to fill it all up or something.

futureuofaprojectbs6.jpg

That's where they are building apartments to help replace the spaces that were lost when Carlson Terrace was torn down. The UA bought that whole side of the street.

I imagine the parking deck was built with future growth of that area in mind. The new business buildings and whatever will be built where KUAF is now will help fill it.

That's where they are building apartments to help replace the spaces that were lost when Carlson Terrace was torn down. The UA bought that whole side of the street.

I imagine the parking deck was built with future growth of that area in mind. The new business buildings and whatever will be built where KUAF is now will help fill it.

Thanks for the info. With the Harmon Parking Garage so nearby I wonder if they'll get rid of that parking area near the old KUAF.

futureuofaprojectbs6.jpg

The UofA wants to put a skybridge from the parking deck across Duncan and connect it to a new apartment building. That is why many of the houses are being torndown. But I know of at least one little house that is not going anywhere for now... :shades:

The UofA wants to put a skybridge from the parking deck across Duncan and connect it to a new apartment building. That is why many of the houses are being torndown. But I know of at least one little house that is not going anywhere for now... :shades:

Is it right across the street from it? I thought I saw one of two houses still over there while all the others were gone. A skybridge would be pretty interesting. More photo opportunities for me. :D

Archived