Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Question about the residential tower coming to South Main (we hope). The company that's supposed to be behind this, Holder Properties (built the Meridian tower), hasn't designed any residential towers, according to the company's portfolio on its website. It seems as though perhaps the company wants to "experiment" with Columbia. Does this concern anyone? You guys think we may end up with a crappy looking tower?

Question about the residential tower coming to South Main (we hope). The company that's supposed to be behind this, Holder Properties (built the Meridian tower), hasn't designed any residential towers, according to the company's portfolio on its website. It seems as though perhaps the company wants to "experiment" with Columbia. Does this concern anyone? You guys think we may end up with a crappy looking tower?

I don't see why a residential tower by Holder would look crappy if their office towers don't.

Wow, thats a lot for ANY city in SC, mush less a small town! Lexington is well positioned to grow in population.... maybe enough to become a primary metro city?

Does anyone think we will see a Columbia-Lexington MSA soon?

Irmo, Cayce, Forest Acres and Blythewood would be so bitter. Maybe Columbia might do some more surprise annexations in Lexington County and stunt it's growth.

^ :lol: I doubt it :)

I think that the USC thing will be a cross bewteen the new Quads they have been buliding and the new School of Health. So mabye a solid 5 floors, but nothing major.

I would be very suprised if we see anything along the lines of say Capstone or the Humanities Office Tower in height for in campus structures again.

I don't think anyone has said that Columbia is not sprawling. The difference is that the Upstate is much, much worse.

And the Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, West, etc., etc. Such is the life we must live in the 21st Century, I suppose. :rolleyes:

My question is, would the Midlands benefit from a Columbia-Lexington MSA?

Absolutely not. Lexington is well positioned to continue to be a suburban town. People there don't want "big city" development, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I don't think anyone has said that Columbia is not sprawling. The difference is that the Upstate is much, much worse...

That will always be the defense of midlands-lovers, and I agree, but that is also what makes the Upstate stronger as a region. I must include that it has some of the most pristine and beautiful unihabited land in the whole state. :wub: As citizens of a historically rural state, we don't know a thing about real sprawl here yet. :(

That will always be the defense of midlands-lovers, and I agree, but that is also what makes the Upstate stronger as a region. I must include that it has some of the most pristine and beautiful unihabited land in the whole state. :wub: As citizens of a historically rural state, we don't know a thing about real sprawl here yet. :(

Don't worry Skyliner you're getting there, I lovingly think of Greenville County as Gwinnett Jr. Matter of fact, lets just move the county to Metro Atlanta it would make a little more sense. :D

P.S. I'm only joking!

Perhaps you forget from which region I hail :rolleyes:

Yeah the Columbia Metro is pretty much spreading from Camden to Red Bank (Lexington Co. White Knoll HS etc.). It's taking shape just like the rest of the southeast. The only reason Columbia doesn't have a high sprawl index like GSP is because Cola metro is more centrally weighted.

Exactly!

I believe you meant to say "we're getting there?" ALL of our major metros are in a similar pattern of sprawl from what I can see, only in Greenville you have a higher population living out in the suburbs.

True but I'm an outsider now so I can't say "we're" unless I'm referncing the entire sprawling mass of cities in the South. Anyway, doesn't Columbia have the highest Daytime population increase in the State? I remember reading it was almost as high as our daily increase.

Yeah the Columbia Metro is pretty much spreading from Camden to Red Bank (Lexington Co. White Knoll HS etc.). It's taking shape just like the rest of the southeast. The only reason Columbia doesn't have a high sprawl index like GSP is because Cola metro is more centrally weighted.

This is true, and I believe it's because of the way Columbia is laid out. I can't think of many other cities whose CBD lies at the edge of the city itself--in Columbia's case, this is because of a natural boundary (the Congaree). Given this, West Columbia and Cayce, in particular, are just Columbia on the west bank of the river with different names.

I have not, but have found this fact worth very little to many living in Spartanburg. Perhaps you could explain why? :(

How so? I generally disagree with that. I haven't come accross anyone that doesnt think we are a part of the Upstate, or that doesn't see that as an advantage for our community.

I have been in contact with many living in Spartanburg who desperately want to get out of the area and the state. It's an overall dissatisfaction with the area. I can't explain why this phenomenon exists, but I do try very hard to encourage them to get out and make a difference in the community, knowing there are also many who love the city and the region. :unsure:

True but I'm an outsider now so I can't say "we're" unless I'm referncing the entire sprawling mass of cities in the South. Anyway, doesn't Columbia have the highest Daytime population increase in the State? I remember reading it was almost as high as our daily increase.

Percentage-wise Greenville has the biggest daytime increase.