NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I drive by the Amelie's apartment building several times a week...the proportions do not look good in person.  It just goes on and on and on without any balconies or anything to break up the monotony.  Maybe the finished product will look better (somehow) but if the siding mostly looks like what's currently on the Amelie's facing side then it will look terrible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, kermit said:

1) Hurray, I am very glad to see a MUCH needed bike project get built!

2) Help me understand how a half a mile of cycle track (which goes through ONE intersection) can cost $25 million per mile to build and take three years. I understand construction cost inflation is high. But really, $25million for a mile of cycle track on an existing roadway????? WTF? How is this not a two day project?

That does seem really high, but presumably a lot of that is in the sidewalks and perhaps lighting upgrades (similar to what they did on South Tryon over 277 years back). There's only sidewalk on one side of Mattheson today. For the cycle track, maybe there's a more meaningful barrier being included? 

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

That does seem really high, but presumably a lot of that is in the sidewalks and perhaps lighting upgrades (similar to what they did on South Tryon over 277 years back). There's only sidewalk on one side of Mattheson today. For the cycle track, maybe there's a more meaningful barrier being included? 

I would imagine this includes the ramp that goes down to Cullman Avenue, which is going to be hugely expensive. 

• Thanks 1

Pretty sure this price is for XCLT Segment 5 on Matheson Ave only (Jordan PL Segment 5 and Segment 6 both already built)

image.thumb.png.853909b57c58cdf2dda0140ee23d1fd7.png

Here is the design as of 2019 (I dont think it has changed)

Matheson Ave Bridge site plan 2019.pdf

Really small stuff in this detail, but note that this is a full resurfacing and re-imagining of Mastheson Bridge.  From 1 south side to north:

1. 9 ft wide sidewalk; 2-way traffic
  2. 2-way cycletrack
  3. road diet reduction down to 1 car lane in each direction
  4. 1-way cycletrack westbound

image.thumb.png.cde221a7a8906cfce01ed67b0fd0c54a.png

They will build higher and more robust bridge walls and better lighting for safety.

The 2-way cycletrack will be the XCLT.  It will run up Jordan Pl and then cross Matheson bridge, and then make a turn down Chick Godley Rd to follow Little Sugar Creek. and eventually cross the railroad spur to get to future Cullman Ave Park/Queen's Park.   I assume they are installing a flashing light or similar at Chick Godley Rd?

Although XCLT turns at Chick Godley Rd, it also extends down to N Tryon St and connects to dedicate bike lanes on N Tryon

image.thumb.png.1a3b835cc2e31fb0f4df90b23d906e1d.png

There will also be ped and bike  street crossings for Matheson Ave that connects Jordan Pl to Yadkin Ave. 

image.png.e85581ab3636c5f3fd5647b8e067575a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The City made Kaleido Apts build section 6 when they bridged Sugar Creek to get to their parcel.  But to my knowledge, there is no public plan announced yet to cross teh rail spur.  The railroad has fought the at-grade crossing which is unbelievably stupid considering how infrequently that rail spur is used.   So we will probably get some sort of massive spiral ramp on both sides to gain 25ft to cross the spur 

image.thumb.png.dbb663f42d0c3070290b692e015b0c3a.png

edit:  Estimated completion date for Segment 6 (Matheson Ave to East Craighead St is now 2Q 2028)  The two major barriers are the rail spur mentioned above and bridging a Little Sugar Creek tributary to build out Philemon Ave connection.   It does appear to still be in the design phase:

https://www.charlottenc.gov/Growth-and-Development/Projects/XCLT/XCLT-Matheson-to-Craighead

image.thumb.png.de989d0de0d8d545f5ac4a6e0fa2d199.png

Segment 7 (from Craighead to N Tryon St) just went out for bid and will be completed 4Q 2025

https://www.charlottenc.gov/Growth-and-Development/Projects/XCLT/XCLTCraighead-to-Tryon

image.thumb.png.f44927f6b3b4f456d9c4f61fa1290145.png

Edited by 3397char

On 4/9/2024 at 7:55 PM, kermit said:

OK, this would make the $5,000 per foot price for a bike track somewhat more reasonable.

I do wonder if we are spending our bike infrastructure money wisely. Seems like it’s really just being used on spotty big-ticket items (eg uptown track, Belk ped bridge and this)  and we are still left with a disjointed network (no cross-Charlotte). I do see how this particular segment is a critical and necessary piece of the puzzle though, so I am not sure what I think.

I share your concerns of spotty, vanity projects that still are far from making biking a form of very practical, cohesive, and widely accessible mobility. 

4 minutes ago, 3397char said:

The City made Kaleido Apts build section 6 when they bridged Sugar Creek to get to their parcel.  But to my knowledge, there is no public plan announced yet to cross teh rail spur.  The railroad has fought the at-grade crossing which is unbelievably stupid considering how infrequently that rail spur is used.   So we will probably get some sort of massive spiral ramp on both sides to gain 25ft to cross the spur

Isn't that spur basically just used to turn around the Amtrak?

• Like 1

Also.  If the plan all along was to run the trail up Jordan Pl, along Matheson, and over to Kaleido, I don't really understand why it was designed to head back towards Brevard before turning onto Jordan Pl.  Probably should have just stayed on N Davidson till it got to Jordan Pl.  Especially since it doesn't even go directly past the 25th St station (although the regular 25th St sidewalks provide a more than adequate connection).

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I share your concerns of spotty, vanity projects that still are far from making biking a form of very practical, cohesive, and widely accessible mobility. 

This is a part of the Cross Charlotte Trail.  Not spotty at all. It is a key link in a 30+ mile continuous path. 

19 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Also.  If the plan all along was to run the trail up Jordan Pl, along Matheson, and over to Kaleido, I don't really understand why it was designed to head back towards Brevard before turning onto Jordan Pl.  Probably should have just stayed on N Davidson till it got to Jordan Pl.  Especially since it doesn't even go directly past the 25th St station (although the regular 25th St sidewalks provide a more than adequate connection).

Fair question.  I suppose they sacrificed a more direct route to instead follow the creek more and thus a less car intensive. ped friendly, natural setting.  But conversely, that begs the question of why did they not just cross N Davidson at Cordelia park and follow Sugar Creek through all of this  25th St Station area?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

Isn't that spur basically just used to turn around the Amtrak?

It is a really long spur: it runs along Atando, then along N Graham, then along Sugar Creek through Derita and then up Statesville Rd.  There it meets another Norfolk Southern Line, so really more of a connector than a spur.

But in terms of usage I think only a handful deliveries a week as most of the customers on this route are long gone.  But if it has future plans like the Red Line (another poster said this, which I did not know) then I can see why they are trying to preserve it to some extent.  But it already has around a dozen at-grade crossings in really tight areas, including Tryon St just 100 feet away from the Cross Charlotte trail.   Somehow making this line higher speed in this area is a pipe dream.

Edited by 3397char

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Thanks so much for the clarification. This certainly makes the budget more logical. It also makes clear that my concerns are not really driven by the project itself, rather there were driven by how the press (in this case a Joe Bruno tweet) present the project. When discussing these projects we really should be clearer that substantial portions of these costs are going to maintaining car culture (in this case resurfacing all the lanes of the bridge), rather than 100% going towards bike infrastructure.

I was also unaware that the pieces of the Cross Charlotte trail were already complete on both side of the bridge. I am completely on board with this project now.

This project is only phase 1 of the Matheson Ave road diet.  The City is also going to hit Jordan Place to The Plaza real soon in a separate project that is already approved.  (Separate money source from the Cross Charlotte trail)

image.png.00139a44fec2b59827e21ba3706dd28a.png

https://www.charlottenc.gov/Growth-and-Development/Projects/Matheson-Conversion

This will fully bike connect Tryon Hills, NoDa, Optimist Park, Villa Heights and Plaza Shamrock with dedicated bikeways. And once completed Matheson Ave will no longer be a 4 line drag strop

Not funded yet is the Plaza and Matheson Ave intersection redesign which will extend this connectivity into Plaza/Shamrock better linking Country Club Heights and Midwood as well. (but this project is more focused on fixing the Shamrock Road meander)

Shamrock/Plaza/Matheson Intersection Redesign Study

• Like 3

1 hour ago, videtur quam contuor said:

I wonder if Long's Monument company, on Graham at Atando and on that rail connector, uses rail for their materials? They occasionally provide monuments of substantial size. These for civic and other purposes in addition to memorial purposes.

The only functioning siding track along Atando is for the largest scrap metal company.  And there are none in use along Graham St.  Everywhere else they have completely pulled up the track or it is clearly in extreme disrepair. Monument Co is probably paying for intermodal transfer from the rail yard. 

• Thanks 3

On 4/12/2024 at 3:36 PM, nicholas said:

The reality is that it's going to be spotty for a while because we're really far behind on bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.   It's (very) slowly getting better, but unfortunately there's relatively little money going towards these projects, and the general public pushback makes it hard to reach the tipping point of widespread use due to the slow rate of construction.  We have to take what we can get, and continue pushing for more.

I suspect a couple branches off of the Rail Trail, especially down Summit and Tremont, would generally garner widespread support (and maybe even some corporate funding) because everyone sees how active those streets already are.  But most people see Matheson as it currently is (an automotive sewer) and until people walking/biking becomes a ubiquitous sight, it is hard to shift the mindset of people along that corridor.

well said!

• Like 1