NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

3 hours ago, kermit said:
  • You are right about the floodplain issue (The Factory, The Village, The Park, The Factory II). This does mean nothing can get built here, right? Its it still possible to retrofitting existing structures to new uses? (this might be good news)

By my understanding, you can still build in a flood plain. You have a few choices of how to do it. Let me use examples from the Biltmore Village area of my hometown of Asheville to demonstrate what I mean. The whole area is a flood plain notoriously prone to flooding, often severe.

1. Build it up to put the occupiable space above flood level and have unoccupiable space (like parking) below. Examples: New Morning Gallery addition, (not terrible but not great), 10 Brook Street (better), Grand Bohemian Hotel (best - very tastefully done)
  2. Pile up some dirt to lift it out of the flood plain and build on top of that dirt. Examples: Zoe's Kitchen, River Mill Lofts is a 254 unit apartment complex under construction at the corner of Thompson and Stoner
  3. Wet Floodproofing. Allows flood waters to enter a structure, but materials (concrete, tile, stone) and construction techniques (raised electrical fixtures, drainage systems) are employed that minimize damage. More common for retrofits but sometimes used for new construction. Example: New Morning Gallery's old building (You can't really tell from this picture but the inside of the lower floor of this building has been flood proofed.)
  • Like 1

There are different types of floodplains. While part of the land is in the type that you're referring to, the bulk is not, and is not buildable. It's also a part of what will become the greenway, which is why it has been purchased by the county. 

1 hour ago, orulz said:

By my understanding, you can still build in a flood plain. You have a few choices of how to do it. Let me use examples from the Biltmore Village area of my hometown of Asheville to demonstrate what I mean. The whole area is a flood plain notoriously prone to flooding, often severe.

1. Build it up to put the occupiable space above flood level and have unoccupiable space (like parking) below. Examples: New Morning Gallery addition, (not terrible but not great), 10 Brook Street (better), Grand Bohemian Hotel (best - very tastefully done)
  2. Pile up some dirt to lift it out of the flood plain and build on top of that dirt. Examples: Zoe's Kitchen, River Mill Lofts is a 254 unit apartment complex under construction at the corner of Thompson and Stoner
  3. Wet Floodproofing. Allows flood waters to enter a structure, but materials (concrete, tile, stone) and construction techniques (raised electrical fixtures, drainage systems) are employed that minimize damage. More common for retrofits but sometimes used for new construction. Example: New Morning Gallery's old building (You can't really tell from this picture but the inside of the lower floor of this building has been flood proofed.)

Clearly not an expert. I do know its possible to build on a floodplain, but I had thought Meck county required that you are required to add the same amount of space to a floodplain as you remove from it (so there is no net change in the area of the floodplain). I didn't see how that could be easily accomplished in Little Sugar Creek.

RE Biltmore Village: I am still ticked that the flood in 2004 (?) took out the original incarnation of the Hot Shot Cafe -- I really miss that place.

On 3/14/2016 at 6:51 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

YES! I've been waiting for this one. I've been hearing rumblings about a new retail/entertainment development coming to Noda between Crescents spot and the evening Muse. Looks like they have scheduled a meeting with the Noda Community. Hope you guys can make it! 

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/NoDa%20Idea%20Session%20Invitation_031616.pdf?token=AWwH-KH4YfOc0hwIyE2_Xryf8xzIPvroDqY_fwrmpv6N0yDTO6qAwipCHTtTaa4L8wrhVOK5HVafz-xXwEY7c9saHiqQxbI7tbr3HHanS6s70tyhWsRJ00CPl_qxuATrZ6A

Only worry I have is the developers. Elle Capital Partners, have almost 0 experience with Retail. So I'm scratching my head over here.

edit: in green they are referencing a lot of projects that haven't been announced 

Did anybody go to this tonight?

It does feel "right" along N. Davidson and Mercury in particular in my opinion.  Modern vs. not / opinions on aesthetics aside - I think that from an urban design perspective it feels appropriate on those 2 streets.  Alexander not so much...  What about down the internal street beside the Theatre?  Last time I saw it looked like they were starting on steps and planters in there maybe?

Is it occupied/leasing fully now?  Haven't been over there in a while.  Can't wait to see what happens with the Crescent site on the rail line.  Between these two NoDa will be a completely different neighborhood from 5 years ago.

1 minute ago, UrbanGossip said:

It does feel "right" along N. Davidson and Mercury in particular in my opinion.  Modern vs. not / opinions on aesthetics aside - I think that from an urban design perspective it feels appropriate on those 2 streets.  Alexander not so much...  What about down the internal street beside the Theatre?  Last time I saw it looked like they were starting on steps and planters in there maybe?

Is it occupied/leasing fully now?  Haven't been over there in a while.  Can't wait to see what happens with the Crescent site on the rail line.  Between these two NoDa will be a completely different neighborhood from 5 years ago.

Speaking of Crescent and the Rail Line did anyone go to the Noda Station meeting for the land between Crescent and Noda CBD.

^ or Cabbagetown, or East Atlanta, or Fourth and Gill in Knoxville, or central Carrboro, or West Durham or portions of west Greenville SC west Columbia, or.....

your request is quite vague. In what semse do you mean similar?

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ or Cabbagetown, or East Atlanta, or Fourth and Gill in Knoxville, or central Carrboro, or West Durham or portions of west Greenville SC west Columbia, or.....

You're right sorry about that. Basically an area not adjacent to downtown that has an arts/food/beer scene but no corporate demand generators (what a hotel typically looks for). I know people have debated here how strong the food is, but I do believe that its going to keep getting better. I think the area is unique enough to draw hotel guests, but examples elsewhere would help. 

2 hours ago, kermit said:

^ or Cabbagetown, or East Atlanta, or Fourth and Gill in Knoxville, or Carrboro, or East Durham or portions of west Greenville SC or.....

Dellmar Loop in St Louis. Very similar transit, distance to downtown and entertainment options (and crappy food) no real corporate presence. They do have more affeluance surrounding them and better housing stock.

The Moonrise Hotel there is a great model for a midrange boutique hotel.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, nofthewall said:

Can anyone assist me in finding other neighborhoods around the country similar to NoDa, preferably in a city about our size?  It would be an added bonus if it was a neighborhood that has a hotel.  TIA.

The Alberta Street neighborhood in Portland has a similar feel, although I'm not sure if they have any hotels in the area.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 2:59 PM, kermit said:

Clearly not an expert. I do know its possible to build on a floodplain, but I had thought Meck county required that you are required to add the same amount of space to a floodplain as you remove from it (so there is no net change in the area of the floodplain). I didn't see how that could be easily accomplished in Little Sugar Creek.

RE Biltmore Village: I am still ticked that the flood in 2004 (?) took out the original incarnation of the Hot Shot Cafe -- I really miss that place.

I think it had several epic incarnations.  I miss the Hot Shot ca 91- 96. 

21 hours ago, kermit said:

My Hot Shot golden age was 1987-1993. I really miss waitresses with boufonts!

Did you know that Sunflower bakery was started by (since been sold by)  a lady whose grandparents ran the Hot Shot from 83-93.  She worked there for a period of time.

On March 14, 2016 at 6:55 PM, kermit said:

does the green stuff on the other side of the tracks (in the flyer) refer to already announced projects? I didn't remember any discussion of The Factory (I and II), The Park or The Village.

Took 2 weeks to find. But here is the plans for the spaces highlighted on that map. 

http://www.flywheelgrp.com/#!projects/clvl