What's Missing in Northwest Arkansas?

I don't think they'd sell to them. Albertson's tried to buy out some of the Harps or all of it and sell off the stores they didn't want 5 or so years ago. I don't think Harp's wants to be relegated to only the smaller towns in the area.

I hope they don't get bought out, because it's kind of like a local icon we still have here in NWA. Otherwise if they did get bought out by Kroger, than it would be a battle between the big 2 in the area.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they don't get bought out, because it's kind of like a local icon we still have here in NWA. Otherwise if they did get bought out by Kroger, than it would be a battle between the big 2 in the area.

I don't think Harp's will sell and they might take a hit if a new grocery company came in but I would think they'd still get some support because they are a local company also.

You know what we be a big positive for hispanic development?

An actual hispanic farmers market kind of deal where it would be like an authentic hispanic produce market outside or something. I think that would be extremely successful and would be a plus to hispanic development.

You know what we be a big positive for hispanic development?

An actual hispanic farmers market kind of deal where it would be like an authentic hispanic produce market outside or something. I think that would be extremely successful and would be a plus to hispanic development.

That should be something Springdale should look into. But I think the only problem is that I don't think there are that many hispanics in the area that farm. I think they mainly came in to work in the factories here. But it would be a good idea. Maybe if they just worked a little bit of land in their yards and such. But I think they may tend to keep most of what they grow in general.

That should be something Springdale should look into. But I think the only problem is that I don't think there are that many hispanics in the area that farm. I think they mainly came in to work in the factories here. But it would be a good idea. Maybe if they just worked a little bit of land in their yards and such. But I think they may tend to keep most of what they grow in general.

In time I'm sure. There's a lot of hispanic wholesalers up here that sell produce. If they got together and did something like that, it would be pretty cool.

We were actually going to get something like this. In the old Consumer's Grocery Building across from Walmart in Rogers, two developers wanted to build a mexican village kind of deal that was going to have a bar, boxing ring, hispanic vendors, and a restaurant. It was called Zocalo or something like that. The only problem was that they wanted to put a bar kind of deal in there, and with the boxing ring being right there, the ABC turned it down. Now the building is a convention building.

In time I'm sure. There's a lot of hispanic wholesalers up here that sell produce. If they got together and did something like that, it would be pretty cool.

We were actually going to get something like this. In the old Consumer's Grocery Building across from Walmart in Rogers, two developers wanted to build a mexican village kind of deal that was going to have a bar, boxing ring, hispanic vendors, and a restaurant. It was called Zocalo or something like that. The only problem was that they wanted to put a bar kind of deal in there, and with the boxing ring being right there, the ABC turned it down. Now the building is a convention building.

Seems like that would be a good idea for Springdale. It's already in a wet county and also has a large hispanic population. I think a development something along those lines would be interesting. Zocalo would be a good name too. It's actually a middle-eastern term I believe that refers to a marketplace type area. The Spanish picked up the term from the Moors who conquered southern Spain for quite a while before Spain pushed them out, right before they 'discovered' the Americas. Sorry, just felt I had to throw that in. :D

Seems like that would be a good idea for Springdale. It's already in a wet county and also has a large hispanic population. I think a development something along those lines would be interesting. Zocalo would be a good name too. It's actually a middle-eastern term I believe that refers to a marketplace type area. The Spanish picked up the term from the Moors who conquered southern Spain for quite a while before Spain pushed them out, right before they 'discovered' the Americas. Sorry, just felt I had to throw that in. :D

No, I'm glad to hear that, because when they announced that name, I wondered what it ment. Being in Springdale, it would be allowed to sell liquor which would be cool, but if it was just strictly produce, fruits, and meats along that line, along with traditional and nontraditional hispanic dishes would be awesome. We have a large population of El Salvadorians, Mexicans, Hondurans, and people from Belieze.

No, I'm glad to hear that, because when they announced that name, I wondered what it ment. Being in Springdale, it would be allowed to sell liquor which would be cool, but if it was just strictly produce, fruits, and meats along that line, along with traditional and nontraditional hispanic dishes would be awesome. We have a large population of El Salvadorians, Mexicans, Hondurans, and people from Belieze.

I knew we had quite a few Mexicans and El Salvadorans, but I didn't know we had that many people from Honduras or Belize. Although I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I do think something like that sounds interesting. Although we do have a number of supermercados around Springdale and Rogers. But I think this might offer a little different experiance and such.

What about an Asian Market?

That would be interesting too. Although I don't think we have as many Asians as Hispanics. There are a number of Vietnamese, many of which I think have been coming from Ft Smith. But most of the others nationalities are pretty small I think. Of slightly different area but Springdale does have the largest Marshallese population outside their homeland. It doesn't amount to a huge amount of people but I think it would be cool to try to incorporate some of their culture here. Their President seems to come over every once in a while to visit the people in Springdale.

That would be interesting too. Although I don't think we have as many Asians as Hispanics. There are a number of Vietnamese, many of which I think have been coming from Ft Smith. But most of the others nationalities are pretty small I think. Of slightly different area but Springdale does have the largest Marshallese population outside their homeland. It doesn't amount to a huge amount of people but I think it would be cool to try to incorporate some of their culture here. Their President seems to come over every once in a while to visit the people in Springdale.

Not a market devoted to just one kind of asian culture, but devoted to all asian cultures. Benton County is about 9% Asian. Plus the large percentage of Marshallese population. I think it would be extremely successful, it's just a question of where it would fit best.

Bentonville?

Rogers?

Springdale?

Fayetteville?

Not a market devoted to just one kind of asian culture, but devoted to all asian cultures. Benton County is about 9% Asian. Plus the large percentage of Marshallese population. I think it would be extremely successful, it's just a question of where it would fit best.

Bentonville?

Rogers?

Springdale?

Fayetteville?

One of the advantages I see for Fayetteville is it's foreign student population. many don't stay after they graduate but there's always quite a number of foreign students at the university. If it were close enough I could see the students also helping it become a success.

One of the advantages I see for Fayetteville is it's foreign student population. many don't stay after they graduate but there's always quite a number of foreign students at the university. If it were close enough I could see the students also helping it become a success.

The University would support that because of their campaign with cultural diversity.

I'm sure Wal-Mart would also.

The University would support that because of their campaign with cultural diversity.

I'm sure Wal-Mart would also.

Not including the students I'm not sure how the Asian population here in Fayetteville compares to the rest of northwest Arkansas. I'm really not sure if there are any 'pockets' of Asians in one spot in northwest Arkansas. So something like this might be possible in just about any of the cities in northwest Arkansas.

Not including the students I'm not sure how the Asian population here in Fayetteville compares to the rest of northwest Arkansas. I'm really not sure if there are any 'pockets' of Asians in one spot in northwest Arkansas. So something like this might be possible in just about any of the cities in northwest Arkansas.

There are big big Vietnamese and Laotian communities in Ft Smith and even some Asian gangs. Thsi dates back to Ft Chaffee being a big refugee center after the fall of Saigon.

What's missing in NWA...

Let's see:

An amphitheater for outdoor music in the Spring and Summer

More Highways or Other forms of Transportation

Nordstrom

The Cheesecake Factory

More Seafood Restaurants (we have hardly any...and Red Lobster doesn't count)

A couple of Tex-Mex restaurants in Fayetteville

10-20 story buildings

Costco

An upscale or organic type grocery store (maybe Whole Foods)

Upscale Wine Bar (maybe in Pinnacle)

Joe's Crab Shack

Another Upscale Hotel (other than Embassy Suites)

Dave and Busters (it's an entertainment play place for adults)

An entertainment/bar district in Rogers or Bentonville

A more diverse population

These are the list that I would like to see...they are not necessities, but would be nice to have. It would definitely help keep the people that are here already.

What's missing in NWA...

Let's see:

Nordstrom

The Cheesecake Factory

10-20 story buildings

Costco

Joe's Crab Shack

These are the list that I would like to see...they are not necessities, but would be nice to have. It would definitely help keep the people that are here already.

Nice list RemusCal!!!

I'll agree with you on just about everything up there

An upscale Wine Bar would be a perfect fit for the Pinnacle Area, I couldn't agree with you more.

We are in a lack of seafood restaurants especially in Benton County. I have heard talk that Joey's Only Seafood has been scouring locations in Bentonville, Rogers, and Fayetteville. I would like to see more "local seafood restaurants" other than chain restaurants.

Joe's Crab Shack and The Cheescake Factory would work out well in developments like the Pinnacle Promenade or Pleasant Crossing.

An amphitheatre was something I hadn't even thought of. It's true though that we would be able to have more entertainment and be able to attract concerts and such. One would fit well in near Fayetteville I think.

I'm not to sure about a Nordstrom's though. Places like Dallas only have 2 and cities like Memphis, Nashville, and Oklahoma City don't even have one. We are getting a Saks Parisian. I would like to see one, but I'm not sure we have the population.

What's missing in NWA...

Let's see:

Nordstrom

The Cheesecake Factory

10-20 story buildings

Costco

Joe's Crab Shack

Ah I very extensive list. I also agree with you pretty much. Just curious are the seafood restaurants that we have not to your liking? Or are you just wanting more than what places like Powerhouse and Mermaid's offer? I've heard a lot about Dave and Buster's and also wish they'd have a location here. An upscale wine bar would also be nice since I'm a pretty big wine fan. Ironically it seems that Tex-Mex type restaurants seem to have a hard time competing with Mexican restaurants around here. Many that have opened don't seem to last very long.

Here's an odd thing I have yet to mention. I wish there were some wineries here in northwest Arkansas. I know we couldn't make great wines here in northwest Arkansas. You'd probably have an even harder time here than areas like Altus here in the state, because of the colder nights in the spring. But I'd still like to have some here somewhere in the area. I really like just driving around Altus around all the grape vines. Even if it didn't make great wine I think it could still do okay as far as a tourist aspect. This area used to have some winderies and it also used to have a lot of vines. Of course many of them weren't for wine around Tontitown. They used to sell a lot of grapes to the northeast area of the country from around Tontitown. Of course many of those areas are now probably subdivisions now.

Here's an odd thing I have yet to mention. I wish there were some wineries here in northwest Arkansas. I know we couldn't make great wines here in northwest Arkansas. You'd probably have an even harder time here than areas like Altus here in the state, because of the colder nights in the spring. But I'd still like to have some here somewhere in the area. I really like just driving around Altus around all the grape vines. Even if it didn't make great wine I think it could still do okay as far as a tourist aspect. This area used to have some winderies and it also used to have a lot of vines. Of course many of them weren't for wine around Tontitown. They used to sell a lot of grapes to the northeast area of the country from around Tontitown. Of course many of those areas are now probably subdivisions now.

The pleasant grove Road exit in Rogers used to have a grape field in it.

It would be nice to have a really nice winery with a wine bar or something in it. It could even have a master plan with some of the golf courses around here.

I know we are getting a Saks Parisian up here, but wouldn't you guys like to see another kind of department store other than J.C. Penny and Dillards?

Some suggestons are Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Foley's, Mervyn's.

I certainly wouldn't mind it although I can't say I'm overly familiar with many of those stores. I believe I've seen Foley's and Mervyn's in Oklahoma. From what I can remember I didn't think they were any better than Dillard's personally. Maybe I'm a little biased because Dillard's is also an Arkansas company.

I certainly wouldn't mind it although I can't say I'm overly familiar with many of those stores. I believe I've seen Foley's and Mervyn's in Oklahoma. From what I can remember I didn't think they were any better than Dillard's personally. Maybe I'm a little biased because Dillard's is also an Arkansas company.

Then how about something like Lord & Taylor or Nordstrom?

I know we seem to get a lot of negativity whenever we mention the possibility of a Nordstrom. I know the general facts about where Nordstrom goes and where they are not located, but it seems like we need more retail opportunities up here.

Archived