Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Did they set up that ginger-bread-looking "Santa's Workshop" thing again? The carousel is new though...I don't remember that being there in previous years. I haven't seen it yet, but I can imagine what it looks like. I'm sure I'll see it tomorrow.

All they really need to do is set up an outdoor ice rink and a little place for Santa to sit for photos with kids, and preferably set this all up back in the grassy area. Heck, even Ocala, Florida has an outdoor ice rink. If they can do it, then we should be able to pull it off. :thumbsup:

are those supposed to be gingerbread houses? they look like storage sheds you buy at home depot....and then they have some crappy looking snow thing coming down the stairs and the majority of the front of the square is blocked off by trees, which only makes it seem smaller and more crowded...and yeah, a carosel...whoppi! <_< ...i think this whole thing takes away from the area and to me is an eyesore....i'm all for holiday decorations, but tasteful and well executed, the decorations at the mall look better than any decorations i have seen downtown so far and that is sad......

your idea sounds much better....

Edited by charlie swords

^ The booths are a fairly authentic replica of the ones used in Germanic countries for their December Chriskindlemarkts. In Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc....hundreds of these are placed in town squares (much like Piazza Bergamo), sell home-made candies, holiday crafts and best of all, Gluhwein. Locals congregate after work and get ripped drinking Gluhwein. :lol:

Below are a few I snapped in Vienna and Lucern:

CIMG1552.jpg

CIMG1606.jpg

SwissChristmasTreesHere.jpg

And also, the Slavic countries do a version. Their's tend to be tents instead of the wooden booths. Here's a photo looking down on one from a church tower in Bratislava:

BratislavaSquare.jpg

^ The booths are a fairly authentic replica of the ones used in Germanic countries for their December Chriskindlemarkts. In Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc....hundreds of these are placed in town squares (much like Piazza Bergamo), sell home-made candies, holiday crafts and best of all, Gluhwein. Locals congregate after work and get ripped drinking Gluhwein. :lol:

Below are a few I snapped in Vienna and Lucern:

CIMG1552.jpg

CIMG1606.jpg

SwissChristmasTreesHere.jpg

And also, the Slavic countries do a version. Their's tend to be tents instead of the wooden booths. Here's a photo looking down on one from a church tower in Bratislava:

BratislavaSquare.jpg

those look much better.....now explain the carousel and trees with 1984 colored lights... :P

Edited by charlie swords

colored lights, at least the ones with the large bulbs, seem very dated to me...1984 was a year i just arbitrarily (sp?) picked....that's all

Ok, I grew up on the larger colored lights. Some may find them tacky but tacky christmas stuff has a nostalgic appeal to me. The new tiny and "safer" lights just don't have the "soul" the older big lights. When you said 1984 I was a bit confused as I remember the tiny white lights coming into common usage around that time. I also miss the big garland type decorations that used to grace our cities light poles in the form of candy canes, santa heads and Christmas trees.

Ok, I grew up on the larger colored lights. Some may find them tacky but tacky christmas stuff has a nostalgic appeal to me. The new tiny and "safer" lights just don't have the "soul" the older big lights. When you said 1984 I was a bit confused as I remember the tiny white lights coming into common usage around that time. I also miss the big garland type decorations that used to grace our cities light poles in the form of candy canes, santa heads and Christmas trees.

i understand your point and completely agree, for personal use but for a city that is trynig to be upscale i just don't think it fits....and i saw the little huts in action the other night, and it's not a bad idea, in fact i wouldn't mind seeing a little district of them somewhere (if they were built a little better) it would give that nice european little village feel if done properly. just having them crammed in that square seems a little un-thought out, it might have worked better bak in the courtyard area or spread out through both...

They're all over the place. Poinsett Highway, Pleasantburg, I-385, etc., all featuring the Liberty Bridge stretching across the top of the sign and with the color scheme of the downtown wayfinder signs.

Ah Ha! I'm going to have check this out. It's about time we replace that blue sky and hills :lol:

Meant to post this yesterday. I was able to buy a bottle of wine at BiLo on Faris/Pleasantburg on Sunday. I am thrilled with this! When my Charleston buddies come up to visit, they always think Greenville is so backwards not being able to buy beer/wine in the grocery stores on Sundays.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/10461436/detail.html

Meant to post this yesterday. I was able to buy a bottle of wine at BiLo on Faris/Pleasantburg on Sunday. I am thrilled with this! When my Charleston buddies come up to visit, they always think Greenville is so backwards not being able to buy beer/wine in the grocery stores on Sundays.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/10461436/detail.html

That is great news indeed. I wonder how many stores will choose to fork over the money for the permit?

Damn....missed the age cut-off by one year. :wacko:

This is WAY :offtopic:, but if any of you go to see only one motion picture over the holidays, please go see "We are Marshall!" I'm anxious to see how they tell this story. I was born in Huntington exactly two months and one week before this tragedy struck the community. I don't remember much about what it was actually like during those days after the crash, but years later, as I was a pre-teen and teen growing up in Huntington, it was all anybody would speak of when football season came around. The rebound that the city of Huntington and Marshall University experienced after this loss is an amazing one. This should be an inspiring story, so I encourage everyone to go see it.

Another off topic, but I was noticing the other day that there is a huge gap of development on I-85 between 385 and Pelham rd. Are any of the upcoming projects supposed to go anywhere in that stretch? It looks like you have completely left town after 385.

I believe there is a small residential complex about to go up somewhere along that stretch, but I don't recall any details.

Another off topic, but I was noticing the other day that there is a huge gap of development on I-85 between 385 and Pelham rd. Are any of the upcoming projects supposed to go anywhere in that stretch? It looks like you have completely left town after 385.

Just like 385 after you get past Woodruff Rd. Pretty Much all the way to Simpsonville

The greenville.urbanplanet.org site is the second most visted city page (___.urbanplanet.org) on UrbanPlanet with about 1500 view last month :thumbsup: Charlotte has about 1000 more. Also, I am going to try to get that page updated this month while I'm on Christmas break. I know its been a while.