The EpiCentre / TwoTenTrade / aloft

ElricSeven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that is an excellent observation, rd21. It might be an interesting twist if this site actually has three towers. It actually might be consistent with atlrvr's observation that Doug Smith referred to aloft as being at the corner of Trade and College. Perhaps aloft became the third tower, and Ghazi still plans the other tower at College and 4th.

Frankly, given the unbelievable location at the heart of downtown, it might not have ever made sense to put lowrise on such a large portion of the block. Even if the office tower isn't built as an immediate part of this project, it makes sense to build the foundation for it and sell airrights when the office market picks up. We certainly will need the office space in the future.

I second that opinion. The rest of the article gave detailed description of the 5 buildings and didn't discuss an office tower, so I'm assuming that it is conceptual at best, but it would certainly make sense to design the site to accomodate it.

Cha, any inside info on this one?

I dunno, a project is a year or so old and they just keep tacking stuff on it, I don't see how this idea would be put in front of us by a source such as that, I wanna know where they heard about the 18 story office tower and such, which I would love, that'd be great, but a lot of people in the condo would have views of an office tower, that would suck, a lot of people on the other side are gonna have views of a hotel, and thats gonna be bad enough.

Where would this stuff be on this picture, I am assuming aloft will be on the right side, and I the office will be on the opposite side from there, or on the side of the tower, I dunno I'm trying to figure it out, where does everyone think things are going.

post-1742-1141753105_thumb.jpg

post-1742-1141753105_thumb.jpg

Email the author of the article and let up know what he says. If douggie didn't make a typo in saying aloft would go at Trade, then it would go on top of the building with a circular design at the corner, on the bottom of that image. Then a potential office building would go on the right at 4th and College. We had always assumed aloft would go there because that was the orig plan for the second tower. Office space was listed a while ago as a possible use for tower 2.

i'll ask one of the architects this weekend about how many towers there will be if ya'll haven't heard anything new by then

I should have asked last week. One of the architects was here. The arch. for the Epicentre DMR. Mr. M was here. i thought about asking but he left before i could. If he calls the office I will ask.

I've been getting all messed up with the projects, but i had no idea that the residential tower would be done in EARLY 2007 as it says in the business journal. They better build quick to meet that deadline.

The business journal rarely gets anything right it seems. Early 2007 is impossible, I've been hearing Q3/Q4 2007, which is fast, but more realistic.

How recent was that biz journal article you are referencing?

I think I agree with atlrvr's estimate.

A recent article said the crane would be used for the deck and retail and later be used for the condos. I don't think the crane's presense means the tower is now a definate. This whole project has been delayed for years, and so we can assume that there are always issues for them to work through, some of which could be showstoppers.

How recent was that biz journal article you are referencing? I agree with atlrvr's estimate. A recent article said the crane would be used for the deck and retail and LATER be used for the condos. I don't think the crane's presense means the tower is now even definate. This whole project has been delayed for years.

It was in an article from today. It was actually about how Ghazi was planning a $200 million project in Milwaukee. Here is the link:

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...06/daily21.html

It talks about the Epicentre project in the last paragraph.

Oh, ok, I see now. Yeah, that sure can't be right. :)

It is interesting that they didn't mention the aloft. Perhaps the aloft hotel component is due early 2007, and the writer trying to pump out the backgroun info on the Milwaukee project just got mixed up.

Oh, ok, I see now. Yeah, that sure can't be right. :)

It is interesting that they didn't mention the aloft. Perhaps the aloft hotel component is due early 2007, and the writer trying to pump out the backgroun info on the Milwaukee project just got mixed up.

Could be. Or maybe it is the mistery office tower (that nobody knows about) that will be done in early 2007.

It is less likely the office component. The hotel component has an announced tenant and an economic benefit to speed to market. The office component would likely have trouble because the office market right now, and the fact that Wachovia's tower is absorbing most of the stray possible tenants out there.

It is still hard to imagine any tower component being done in a year, especially since they haven't even begun foundations. But needless to say it would definitely not be the 53 story tower.

they mentioned that the retail would be done this year, which would be crazy, the people doing the building have said that there is an unpresedented amount of people working on this project, and oh yea, Standing at 1250 ft tall and nearly 1500 ft to the antenna on top, built between 1930 and 1931, the empire state building took only 14 months ( 1 year and 45 days) to construct, all I haveta say is anything is possible.

thats a 102 story building, we are talking 53, with modern technology, thats all I gotta say......

But I still say this'll be done late 2007 early 2008

don't know if this was mentioned or not, but I throwing it in since it was exciting to me when I headed out to lunch.

One of the tower cranes is now almost complete on the site. They were busy putting it up today. I know that duplicate posts are frowned upon, but my shear ecxcitment caused me to post :D

A2

(edit: ooops I did post a duplicate post. But I guess if duplicates were ever excused it should be for crane sightings. :P )

Archived