The EpiCentre / TwoTenTrade / aloft

ElricSeven

of course the empire state building was built during the depression, when everyone needed somewhere to work, and there were over 3400 people who worked on the building, compared to a couple hundred working on epicenter, but still anything is possible

Today people are no longer expendable in tower construction......stupid OSHA. :whistling:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today people are no longer expendable in tower construction......stupid OSHA. :whistling:

Ha. We also no longer have the employ of thousands of surefooted Native American Mohawk "skywalkers" and ironworkers who were essential in building many of the great structures of the 20th century.

No kidding. I read once that the developer expected to lose about one life during construction on each floor of the ESB. In fact, "only" about half a dozen people died. Can you imagine 6 deaths during construction of a skyscraper today?

BTW, Mohawk steelworkers are still a thing. Many of them worked around the clock on the debris pile at Ground Zero, and they're still a regular feature of NYC construction sites.

BTW, Mohawk steelworkers are still a thing. Many of them worked around the clock on the debris pile at Ground Zero, and they're still a regular feature of NYC construction sites.

Really? That's pretty cool. Maybe some will move down here for construction jobs.

I didn't think the Bobcats Coliseum would be finished on it's very aggressive schedule, although it was.

But this is one heckuva massive project. If Ghazi pulls this off on schedule, people will believe he can do anything.

Considering the rumor of an office tower possibly going on this site on trade st side, what do we need to look for during this phase of construction? I would think if 12+ stories were going on top of the retail section that steel would need to be driven under the parking deck. Right now, looking at the web cam, that doesn't seem to be the case. There appears to be concrete footings, but steel isn't going down. Does this mean no tower on that side? And does it confirm the hotel going on the 4th st side?

Oh, and the 2nd crane is still going up, I guess the rain the last two days delayed them.

BTW - i had no idea what those black mat-looking things were in the bottom left corner as you look on the webcam until i saw the Wacohvia blasting videos. Then I realized they were used to cover the blasting areas. They looked like they were used yesterday in that area.

My desk overlooks the site - I think they do about 4 or 5 blasts a day - makes the building shake, but pretty cool to watch.

And you're right - the mats are used to stop the dust from going everywhere.

I was poking around the Charlotte Center City Partners web site and found what looks like a new posting about this project. It confirms the hotel on 4th & College. The office space will be dispersed throughout the project. No office tower is mentioned or shown. You can also see where they plan to connect the skywalk. I hope the hotel rendering is jusy a placeholder because - yikes - that is one ugly hotel. It' even worse next to the awesome tower. Looks like they plopped down the Center City Holiday Inn on top of a small office building. I must say retail is looking like a clone of Arsley and Park Towne. The retail completion is set for early 07 and the office/hotel portion is slated for late 07 completion. No mention of a condo tower completion date.

epicentrerenderingcompilation9.png

Here's the PDF:

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/files/p...899_0085494.pdf

Archived