The EpiCentre / TwoTenTrade / aloft

ElricSeven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I wouldn't say were were "lucky" to get the Westin. This is actually the second Westin that's been downtown and I fully expected the chain to return after their brief hiatus. The current Hilton Towers a block away was originally a Westin before it changed to an Omni, then to the Hilton. The current Omni was a Radisson for about 20+ years. Franchise flags have a way of playing musical chairs. If the market is large enough and healthy enough, you can expect most of the bigger mainstream names to have at least one presense.

^I wouldn't say were were "lucky" to get the Westin. This is actually the second Westin that's been downtown and I fully expected the chain to return after their brief hiatus. The current Hilton Towers a block away was originally a Westin before it changed to an Omni, then to the Hilton. The current Omni was a Radisson for about 20+ years. Franchise flags have a way of playing musical chairs. If the market is large enough and healthy enough, you can expect most of the bigger mainstream names to have at least one presense.

Yes....you are right. I never did know that Charlotte had a Westin before so it makes more sense to why they came back and invested in that nice hotel that I think id great looking!

I think they still do not have the sales ceneter.

The building permit for the ground floor sales center and the 27th floor model mock-up in the Charlotte Plaza building was just applied for yesterday....I would estimate the sales center to open in April-May.

An article in this month's Southeast Construction magazine talks about Ghazi and his current projects. He states that EpiCentre will include a 175-room hotel. I know this has been talked about, but maybe this lends an idea to the scale of the 2nd tower that has been talked about. Moreover, since this is a recent interview, it shows that a hotel is still a valid component of the project.

Hyatt would make perfect sense in that area. It would be close to Ritz, Omni, and Holiday Inn. If W were to locate here I think they would move closer to their sister brand Westin or at least a new building on Tryon because they love to be in the center of it all.

Because it is one block from the square, even a Clarion would be expensive. Charlotte has plenty of run-of-the-mill hotels through-out the city. The classier hotels like W, Grand Hyatt, Ritz, Westin, etc., couldn't be anywhere else in the city but in the heart of downtown.

Also, specific to the Epicenter project, Ghazi is trying to find a hotel chain that can be a sister project to the luxury high rise on the same block. Only a trendy or luxury hotel could help on that front.

Makes sense dubone. Do yall think Uptown currently has a demand for hotel rooms to support say, a 25 story hotel at Epicenter?

What about a Marriott Marquis at Epicenter, and the current Uptown Marriott go condo?

If a hotel is built later on, does that mean part of the Epicenter retail under construction now would have to be demolished? Too bad the hotel and condo tower can't be built at the same time~~~

Why not a more reasonable priced chain instead of a hotel that is only going to appeal to business travelers? There are already plenty of expensive hotels rooms in downtown.

Well you know Uptown is immune to some cheap hotels. I agree though that it seems to be all bussiness but we are talking about corporate Charlotte. But just look up Tryon at the Days Inn. I thought it was kinda of funny the first time I saw it. But how are Holiday Inn rates. They usually are averge priced. But they could have jacked there prices to.

DMR architects has some renderings on their homepage that shows the massing for a second tower.

They have a 5 image slide show, and images 3 and 4 show a second tower that looks like 18 stories that cha mentioned.

http://www.dmra.biz

On a side note, I'm still really bothered by the fact that the retail at the corner of College and Trade isn't flush with the sidewalk.

Has anyone seen renderings/plans for the E 4th St. side? There's only a vague floor plan on Ghanzi's site and nothing related to Epicentre on 210trade.com. Even the video rendering omits E 4th. Id there was something attractive there, I'm sure they would show it.

Archived