The EpiCentre / TwoTenTrade / aloft

ElricSeven

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess if we were really cool we would have known this a month ago. I found this article dated Jan. 6, 2006 which says...

Aloft's bar and a 24-hour food area make the hotels a good fit for mixed-use developments, said Mit Shah, president & CEO of Noble Investments. Noble plans to break ground later this summer on a 176-room Aloft in Charlotte that will be part of a mixed-use development. The hotel will be built on top of a Prime Steak House and a Fox Sports Grill.

At least we again have word on Prime.

The article is from Commercial Property News.

Looking at the earlier (colored pencil?) renderings, it looks like there was a larger (10 stories or so) structure next to the main tower on the northwest corner of the block, with signs indicating it housed a cinema and a bowling alley. When I saw that I thought "multiplex" - which, of course, would have been cool; but in more recent (3d) renderings, the 10 story structure is gone and replaced with something more in the 4-story range, merely the same height as the rest of the entertainment complex.

Somehow it would just seems right for Epicenter to have a big, commercial chain cinema showing first-run hollywood movies on five or six screens, complementing all the major, mass-marketed restaurants and chain boutiques. I don't picture Epicentre as an ultra-upscale place. Swank and hip, absolutely - but it had really ought to be entertainment, retail, and dining for the chain-loving masses of all ages.

While I like to think my taste pallete has progressed beyond chain dining, I would indulge in my guilty pleasure that is called TGIFriday's were they to open one downtown. It's odd, that I always thought of them as an uber-suburban chain, but they are in tons of urban buildings in Manhattan including a pre-war building right across from Madison Square Garden/Grand Central Station.

I personally don't favor the site for a cinema, though I think bowling would be a better amenity.

I have nothing wrong with this being heavily populated by chains (let's face it, that what the rea estate lenders and suburbanites alike prefer), but if every place is just restaurants and bars, then it's going to be a bit overly-contrived. Give me a few storefronts that make me want to wander through from time to time, instead of being pulled in to get a quick bite then leave.

The theatre business in general is not doing so well at the moment as people are not going to theatres as much. There are various reasons for this but one of them are the lackluster movies that Hollywood is putting out now. Because of this the economics make it really difficult to open a theatre with just 6 screens.

Bowtie was include in some older articles, but also in the renderings, along with Fox Grill and Prime Steaks, etc.

I sure hope that the difficulties in the industry doesn't mean that both Epicenter and Elizabeth Ave will lose its proposed theatres.

Me too. Am I the only one who's surprised that all of the construction will only have those seven chain restaurants? It doesn't seem that the cost of the construction would be justified. There's got to be a ton more stuff than that.

I think it will be ironic if this project lacks a movie theater when all is said and done. The whole reason the imploded the OCC was that the theater people said it was too hard to build in the old building. Who knows though. Maybe he'll build the shell of the theatre anyway.

I think we would all agree that only putting restaurants and bars in Epicenter would be a huge mistake. Uptown needs FUN THINGS TO DO! Like bowling, like going to an urban theatre to see first run Hollywood films, perhaps a skating rink? If people come Uptown just to eat, then the place will still be practically desserted. Build things that bring people in! Make Uptown FUN!!!!!

Me too. Am I the only one who's surprised that all of the construction will only have those seven chain restaurants? It doesn't seem that the cost of the construction would be justified. There's got to be a ton more stuff than that.
I wouldn't worry about that. Remember the entertainment and retail section of Epicentre is FOUR STORIES TALL and takes up an entire 500x500 foot city block. No way will seven chain restaurants fill all that space.

Restaurants are the core competency of uptown retail. There is a whole lot of money to be made off the lunch budgets of people who run as fast as they can to leave the city at the strike of 5. I'm sure there will be more to this complex, and if not, that will just leave more space for random small businesses to lease.

This is the project I find most intriguing right now. I'm too lazy to bag a lunch (I can't believe how many of my white collar co-workers do, including my supervisor... they think $8 for lunch is too much).

I'm chintzy in a lot of ways -- but I'm willing to buy my lunches uptown. My employer pays me enough for the convenience and I'd rather circulate some of my disposable income that way, to local merchants who *do* something, than by putting it into parking garage fees.

This is the project I find most intriguing right now. I'm too lazy to bag a lunch (I can't believe how many of my white collar co-workers do, including my supervisor... they think $8 for lunch is too much).

I'm chintzy in a lot of ways -- but I'm willing to buy my lunches uptown. My employer pays me enough for the convenience and I'd rather circulate some of my disposable income that way, to local merchants who *do* something, than by putting it into parking garage fees.

$40 a week

$160 a month

$2000 a year

man, you must be raking in the dough. When I worked downtown, I barely spent $20 a month for lunch.

$40 a week

$160 a month

$2000 a year

man, you must be raking in the dough. When I worked downtown, I barely spent $20 a month for lunch.

Seriously, there comes a time to put the microwave ramen and tuna fish sandwiches in the past. I'm glad I earn enough, to afford the convenience of buying lunches! But you all will get a proper chance to call me a cheapass, whenever the discussion rolls back to housing prices or thrift store clothing. :shades:

To keep this topic on Ghazi-- I have visited the chain restaurants in his other complexes off Park road and North Tryon. I like what he puts together better than say, big knowns like Crosland or Grubb & Ellis. So I'm guardedly hopeful, that EpiCenter will turn out to be something interesting and compelling.

For the most part yes. That is why they are digging so deep right now. I think there might be some above ground parts of the deck under the tower, but not much.

It's probably posted on here somewhere but i didn't feel like reading through all of the threads, how many levels will the parking deck be. I seem to remember hearing 8, but i could be wrong. If it is 8 and they are mainly underground, then i would say they are not even close to finishing the whole. I just want to see more action on the web cam then just digging.

Archived