Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Proposed Office building to be located next to Solis Dilworth.  1030 Kenilworth Ave.  12,000 sf office, with the option to increase to 18,000 sf.  Looks to be office over parking, so no street presence.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/90C2336A-5205-4057-BAF6-6F2B62200F55.pdf

Edited by rjp212

Proposed Office building to be located next to Solis Dilworth.  1030 Kenilworth Ave.  12,000 sf office, with the option to increase to 18,000 sf.  Looks to be office over parking, so no street presence.

That might be one of the worst proposals I've seen yet. Looks like every sub-par 70's/80's office building on Morehead that we can't wait to see replaced. 

• Like 2

I actually got onto street view because I was sure that building had been there since the 60s

4 per 1,000 parking ratio - wow. I hope one day the city cuts down and the maximum is 3 per 1,000. New buildings Uptown should be 2 to 2.5 given ALL of the decks and alternatives around. The city cannot continue to grow with such huge parking ratios. Not enough cars can fit on the roads. 

• 2 weeks later...

a couple minor notes:

Ed's is quadrupling the size of their back deck. I would guess it will open up within the next month.

Fresh Market is nearly done with exterior work. Opening at the end of October November may be possible. (Observer updated open date today -- just before Thanksgiving)

Edited by kermit

a couple minor notes:

Ed's is quadrupling the size of their back deck. I would guess it will open up within the next month.

Fresh Market is nearly done with exterior work. Opening at the end of October may be possible.

I haven't been to Ed's since the beginning of summer, but the new owner really has dumped a lot of money in this place since he took over without changing much of the neighborhood watering hole feel of it.. at least to me. The expanded deck will be a welcome addition.

I wonder if they would ever consider Making Kenilworth and Scott two way streets. I feel like it might help with the congestion. I can never decide if it would help or hurt. You can see from this picture, shot from Romany and Kenilworth, that both were once two way.

eSZfxovY.jpg

Congestion actually isn't bad on Kenilworth.  I take it home (down Park to Archdale) every day as opposed to either 77 or South Blvd or Tryon because it's a lot faster.

I have a buddy who lives on Kenilworth and he said it takes him 20-30 minutes to get down the hill some mornings. 

I wonder if they would ever consider Making Kenilworth and Scott two way streets. I feel like it might help with the congestion. I can never decide if it would help or hurt. You can see from this picture, shot from Romany and Kenilworth, that both were once two way.

eSZfxovY.jpg

I'm not sure how converting them to two-way would work. You have to have two lanes of continuous flow in each direction to maintain the flow during rush hour. How would you split up traffic?

I thought the 1-way traffic was for speed and safety of emergency vehicles at CMC. Hospital originally faced away from Scott (Not even in this photo) but over the years the rear became the emergency entrance thus the 1-way issue.

The Ambulances turn into CMC from either Morehead on Morehead Medical, or from Kenilworth at Romany.  The back "employee" entrance that sort of faces Scott and Kenilworth, is sort of the original front entrance to the hospital, that actual original front entrance is something like 80' inside that door.  Where the Emergency Room is now was originally a side entrance, or rather the side entrance parking lot. 

1950-01.thumb.jpg.92edbd83e7df3eb7ae3f32

In this picture we see the original front entrance, with the original oval drive.  The main drive, going from the bottom left to bottom right, is labeled as Scott Ave/CR on some maps,  Today where that drive hits Scott is basically where Blythe Blvd hits Scott today.  Around 1972 a New addition was built on the backside and that became the "front" entrance, sort of facing Kings.  It was slightly before that that Blythe Blvd was built, though its routing was different than it is now.  The Drive on the bottom right by the two story structure actually hits Fountainview and ends into Scott where Loop Rd hits today., and you can just make out Garden Terrace by the construction site in the middle right. 

(I hope this works) Map from 1948 http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/ncmaps/id/9450/rec/27

Edited by DEnd
  • Like 1

Apologies if I missed this, but does anyone have details on the development adjacent to Morehead Place, specifically the vacant lot at the corner bounded by Morehead and Royal Court? 

I understand construction of an office building is about to begin. Orange fencing is up and dirt has been turned towards the back of the lot.     

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...