Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, archiham04 said:

I think that HOAs still have control... its just the municipalities that have been neutered.  GOP would never rattle the Homebuilders lobby

I am the HOA president. We have no control or recourse unfortunately. The ex-mayor of Cornelius, Tarte, introduced the law and it passed under the current administration (June 2015). I guess the GOP went ahead and rattled. It was a shock to me.

A Canadian developer has acquired a strip of low-slung commercial buildings at West Morehead and South Mint streets, and he plans to redevelop them into a block of restaurants, bars and gathering places.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article60445391.html

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

4 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

A Canadian developer has acquired a strip of low-slung commercial buildings at West Morehead and South Mint streets, and he plans to redevelop them into a block of restaurants, bars and gathering places.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article60445391.html

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/10863-freemore-projects-west-morehead-freedom-drive-bryant-park/?page=24

Being discussed here in the Freemore thread, but it actually should probably be in the Gold District thread.

The Cantina 1511 building on East is being completely gutted right now, and will become a chain tacos and tapas place called Babalu. The name sounds familiar now so maybe this was reported already or rumored. Anyway I groan a bit at the idea of another mexican/tex mex place on East, but with Tijuana Flats gone, and the focus looking pretty far from Bakersfield's, I'm ok with it. The renderings look hideous in the article but seeing pictures of their existing locations it looks like the details and decor soften it quite a bit. Overall I'm pretty ambivalent here, it doesn't look bad but its a little uninspired too.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/38760/babalu-dilworth-update/

I'm not sure what the threshold for "Chain" is but I don't think Babalu has many locations.  It is a top shelf restaurant in Jackson MS where they appreciate some good cookin.  When it was first announced I think 1511 East Blvd was to be their second location.   It is mmm, mmmm good.

Edited by archiham04

1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

I'm not sure what the threshold for "Chain" is but I don't think Babalu has many locations.  It is a top shelf restaurant in Jackson MS where they appreciate some good cookin.  When it was first announced I think 1511 East Blvd was to be their second location.   It is mmm, mmmm good.

Ok cool good to know it is a quality place. I was using the term chain a bit loosely just since it is an existing out of town restaurant, but this will be their 5th location. 

The menu sounds quite good, and while I think it is different enough from Bakersfield (more tex-mex and california vs. Bakersfield's fairly authentic mexican street food), I think most people are going to lump them together instantly. Given the way Bakersfield looks on most nights I think there's enough business to go around though.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a rendering of this? What project again?

2 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

This is the Morehead-Kenilworth project viewed from level 8 of CMC parking at same corner. A superb view of skyline from this location because one is above trees.

(I cannot attach photo using laptop. Using phone here. Any idea why?)

image.jpg

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

"The Dillon"

What's the latest on the retail situation here? I know it got scaled down a bit. I'm worried that it is an all-or-nothing site, like it needed to be a specialty grocer or something just as significant or nothing at all, given the lack of any other retail within several blocks. 

3 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

What's the latest on the retail situation here? I know it got scaled down a bit. I'm worried that it is an all-or-nothing site, like it needed to be a specialty grocer or something just as significant or nothing at all, given the lack of any other retail within several blocks. 

Honestly, I think its going to end up being the Rite Aid that "everyone" was against across the street. 

^ I know nothing specific about this site but my casual observations of the area is that the specialty grocery market is tapped out, they can't provide enough space for a mainline grocer (or Southern Season), and the project does not feel visible / accessible enough to be a drug store. 

Just now, kermit said:

^ I know nothing specific about this site but my casual observations of the area is that the specialty grocery market is tapped out, they can't provide enough space for a mainline grocer (or Southern Season), and the project does not feel visible / accessible enough to be a drug store. 

I personally agree about the grocery store. But just so you know Pappas is trying to get a full size 50k grocery store as part of the Greenwood Cliff/Realtors Association Building Project. LOL, so developers don't think its tapped for whatever reason.

On 2/6/2016 at 9:08 AM, asthasr said:

What? No. The state government passed laws saying that cities can't impose limitations on the design of buildings, so we're going to get a lot more ugly crap built now.

Those laws only apply to single family houses. Multi family and mixed-use/commercial, etc are still allow to be regulated.

On 3/2/2016 at 11:33 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

"The Dillon"

final-corner-morehead-kenilworth-no-car*750xx4000-2250-0-375.jpg

Why is the main entrance be sunken below the grade of the street? That's weird.

23 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Honestly, I think its going to end up being the Rite Aid that "everyone" was against across the street. 

People didn't mind the Walgreens so much as they didn't want drive-thru and suburban design. This project doesn't appear to have that, unless they somehow crammed it into the parking deck.

In the least exciting announcement of the day: Construction has begun on the outparcel expansion at Dilworth Crosing (the Food Lion, Comet Grill strip center on Park). Actually I am kinda pleased to see this since it has a _chance_ to make that part of Dilworth a bit more of a pedestrian node.

(Tuesday Morning is also relocating from the weird center where Toast is to the more visible center that contains Ru San's and Fran's)

1 hour ago, kermit said:

In the least exciting announcement of the day: Construction has begun on the outparcel expansion at Dilworth Crosing (the Food Lion, Comet Grill strip center on Park). Actually I am kinda pleased to see this since it has a _chance_ to make that part of Dilworth a bit more of a pedestrian node.

(Tuesday Morning is also relocating from the weird center where Toast is to the more visible center that contains Ru San's and Fran's)

YESSSS!!!!!

102395622.jpg

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Sunflower Baking has really caught fire with the Dilworth morning crowd. I have been in twice this week, it was packed to the gills both times.

I'm glad they FINALLY got a location that's better than their Elizabeth spot. I never wanted to go into the strip mall parking lot. But they have some of the best stuff around.

This is the project between the Tremont and the corner of Tremont and Euclid. The photo doesn't do it justice but I really like it. Good variation in the front, interesting ped passageway thing on the left and the building in the back that has Chicago style multilevel decks. I am pleasantly surprised.

(unfortunately I watched them build it -- it aint going to age well due to poor construction quality)

Dilworth_crossing.jpg

I recently moved from a house to a 1998 vintage condo. The interior finishes were immediately suspect even to this non professional, such as wavy walls, small gaps where there should be a tight joint, continuous roofing issues, obviously builder grade everything. Much of this can be remediated over time with the application of money. We have been pleasantly surprised at the soundproofing. There is a small dog on one side and a family with a 5-6 year old boy on the other side and we hear nothing, ever. The issue we were most concerned about has never arisen.

It is brick faced so the aging process will be more modest than plank/clapboard/EIFS IMHO.

My wife has her medical care in the existing building on Morehead and a month or two ago the staff said that there would be changes to their facilities because the new building (illustrated in the story above) required them to move to make way for the suspended walkway connector you can see in the illustration. They also said this project had been known on the Morehead campus for some time. I enquired no further.