Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I'm thinking about starting a petition to encourage more parking decks closer to street frontage. Our streets are being overrun with windows and apartments. We need more chain link fences, signage and colorful graphics.

There actually does need to be more color. And if there is no retail or anything on the deck, then we have no one to blame but our own zoning laws.

I'm much more concerned about how they treat the other three sides (Lexington, Caldwell and Morehead). The South Blvd side is not really streetfront because of grade change, so it's not a bad side to do some wacko things on. 

I do wonder how they'd deal with signage ordinances on this though.

^its not at grade today, but with that amount of construction, they absolutely have the opportunity to make it at grade.... in fact, it looks to me like they are dropping the retaining wall anyway.  This land (s blvd frontage) is land that was once part of an Independence blvd/south blvd/morehead/caldwell interchange Clusterf**k.  I say this only to point out that they currently own this land due to the grace of the public entity  that was willing to sell (or give) it to them.  I think they should do whatever is in the public good to repay that debt of generosity.

I mean, that frontage is the turn-lane for the on-ramp to I-277.  People drive very fast right here once passing the stop-light at Lexington.  This is clearly the best frontage for a parking deck.  I wouldn't mind a more brick aesthetic.

The site plan for the rezoning indicates "future phase" where the surface lot is at Lexington/Caldwell.  That's not part of the current building expansion plan.

• 3 weeks later...

a small project that never hit my radar is the Knights of Columbus (E Kingston btw Cleveland and South) are gone and a gut rehab of the building is now underway. No idea what it might become.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Charlotte,+NC+28203/@35.212091,-80.85578,3a,75y,226.92h,80.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8Vr3EH-Uqp6hKT6KVpNxDg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f7737e3c37f:0x879cb358b2536318!6m1!1e1?hl=en

In different Dilworth news David Walters has a short piece in the DCA newsletter on the reputation the DCA has as oppositional to development. He looked at DCA reviews of rezoning from 2004-2014 and found only 13 (29%) of the cases were formally opposed by the DCA,  I was surprised the number was so low, my image of the DCA was that they were reflexively anti-density, perhaps I need to reevaluate my concerns about them.

a small project that never hit my radar is the Knights of Columbus (E Kingston btw Cleveland and South) are gone and a gut rehab of the building is now underway. No idea what it might become.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Charlotte,+NC+28203/@35.212091,-80.85578,3a,75y,226.92h,80.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8Vr3EH-Uqp6hKT6KVpNxDg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f7737e3c37f:0x879cb358b2536318!6m1!1e1?hl=en

It'll be a new Dilworth Montessori School

In different Dilworth news David Walters has a short piece in the DCA newsletter on the reputation the DCA has as oppositional to development. He looked at DCA reviews of rezoning from 2004-2014 and found only 13 (29%) of the cases were formally opposed by the DCA,  I was surprised the number was so low, my image of the DCA was that they were reflexively anti-density, perhaps I need to reevaluate my concerns about them.

Did he provide any info as to what was supported versus what was opposed?  29% seems like a pretty high number from my perspective, though I am not experienced in this area at all.  Challenging 1 out of 3 rezoning applications seems like it would send a pretty clear message to developers that they will likely have to fight and may need an alternative plan in line with current zoning.  The timing matters as well.  If 10 out of those 13 opposed cases came in the last 5 years that would show a completely different current atmosphere than the 10 year average.  These are just some thoughts that came to mind.  I would be curious to know the answers if the letter happened to have these facts.

^ No additional details on what was supported or opposed were provided (it was a relatively short article and Walters spent a few paragraphs being defensive).

Good point on the multiple review process, that had not immediately occurred to me. There are certainly lots of hurdles to clear.

Also adding to the negative perception of Dilworth is the contentious climate that is created by often conflicting goals of HDC, TOD/MUDD, DCDA, Historic Landmarks, and PHD

I think this process between the different committees is one thing contributing to the Van Landingham rezoning decision being pushed back each month.

• 4 weeks later...