Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I'm not sad about that. Guess my prediction in the above quote was right! It was awfully generic compared to the wildly successful Menchies. 

It would be nice to have a boutique move in there if the building is going to stick around in its current form. I don't think we really need another takeout place which is more likely. 

I drove down McDonald today. Curb, gutter and sidewalk only on one side? Please tell me both sides will be done and this isn't an example of Charlotte "half-assedness".

yup, its a half-assed job.

The sidewalk on one side is a nice improvement over what was there before, but it does seem awfully cheap.

CBJ is reporting that the parcel next door to the Dowd Y is Being considered for 180,000 sqft of office space by Beacon Partners who has the parcel under contract. They will wait until they have tenants for half of the space before breaking ground.

CBJ reports that Beacon will manage the existing building as is for 3-5 years before building a new class A building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2012/12/beacon-says-no-rush-on-morehead.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2012-12-14

Seems like a metaphor for all Charlotte office space.....

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...

Beacon Properties has purchased the office building which is adjacent to the Walgreens / Harris parcel on Morehead near Kenilworth. CBJ also reports that the Walgreens parcel is still for sale.

Hmmmm.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/01/beacon-makes-another-morehead-office.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-01-03

It looks a lot like the neighboring Tremont development from the glory days. I hope it is an extension of the existing building: Nicely done with retail included. Does this back up to the small townhome project on Euclid?

It looks very little like the Tremont to me unfortunately. Looks very blah. But whatever, can't win them all I suppose. 

I hope between the DCDA (since this has to go through rezoning) and the Historic District Commission, they can get get something better than the average Gateway Homes product.  Their infill on Ridgeway in Elizabeth and 6th&Irwin next to Ray's Splash Planet, both built withing the last year, are hugely uninspiring.  Not because they are bland and really cheaply constructed, though they are, but because they completely ignore the fact they are located in urban neigborhoods and have their resident ingress/egress in the rear of the buildings for main (and in 3rd Ward, only) access.  Its like the concept of walking anywhere from their buildings is non-sensical.

Hopefully I'm surprised.  I'm ok with a simple building at this site...it just should be sterile and institutional feeling to walk by.

I don't mind those or the adjacent building. Not my favorite style but fairly pleasant and inoffensive. 

I've known some people that lived in the old apartment building that currently sits there. It's sort of a shame to lose a building that allowed people to get in such a great location for VERY cheap, but it was deteriorating and it was obvious its days were numbered.

Two small observations:

1) The former autoparts store on Tremont (behind the Dunkin Donuts) is currently being gutted. I don't yet know what it will become.

2) The HT parking lot is significantly worse after their renovation. I honestly didn't think it was possible for that parking lot to get worse.

• Like 1

Two small observations:

1) The former autoparts store on Tremont (behind the Dunkin Donuts) is currently being gutted. I don't yet know what it will become.

2) The HT parking lot is significantly worse after their renovation. I honestly didn't think it was possible for that parking lot to get worse.

I'm excited to see a re-use/re-development of industrial places in the busy part of SouthEnd, however I still think that there needs to be more density and redevelopment further out (near Clanton Rd. Idlewild Rd. areas).  There are way too many Pawn Shops and eyesores such as that Pepsi plant and the likes.  Yes, the East Blvd. HT is a zoo.  I do love going there because of all the beautiful young professional men (in suits or gym clothes) that go there!  We need a grocery store in SouthEnd desperately! Publix hurry up!

EDIT:  The former La Paz spot is being turned into Luciano's Italian Restaurant and it looks almost done. (I think someone mentioned this a while back).

Edited by Temeteron

I'm excited to see a re-use/re-development of industrial places in the busy part of SouthEnd, however I still think that there needs to be more density and redevelopment further out (near Clanton Rd. Idlewild Rd. areas).  There are way too many Pawn Shops and eyesores such as that Pepsi plant and the likes.  Yes, the East Blvd. HT is a zoo.  I do love going there because of all the beautiful young professional men (in suits or gym clothes) that go there!  We need a grocery store in SouthEnd desperately! Publix hurry up!

EDIT:  The former La Paz spot is being turned into Luciano's Italian Restaurant and it looks almost done. (I think someone mentioned this a while back).

The Pepsi plant is an eyesore!? it looks fine to me, it is not run down and is well maintained. I guess opinions may differ ;-)

The Pepsi plant is an eyesore!? it looks fine to me, it is not run down and is well maintained. I guess opinions may differ ;-)

Anything thats not a Saks Fifth Avenue is run down... (sarcasm font)

I agree about the Pepsi plant.  It is boring architecturally, but the fact that it is well maintained and with Pepsi branding, most people think positively about it and would not mind living next door to it.  

I actually used to live near the Pepsi plant. I am ok with the plant where it is at because the building is against the street without the parking being in the front, the building is well maintained and Pepsi is giving itself free advertising for being in such a desirable area of the city. Now if only there was a Pepsi store on the site that the public go into, that would be pretty cool.

At the risk of being contradictory, the trail is only on one side of the tracks starting at Park Avenue. It changes sides a couple of times, but is otherwise only on one side. From Tremont to New Bern it is on the west side only. It wouldn't surprise me to find that Colonial Reserve is building trail on the east side for the duration of its property.