Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

They are using real limestone for the entire facade. For that, I'm more than ok with the converative architecture.

oOooOoo Nifty. I actually like the design alright. Especially along more head with the various height differences.

Revised renderings, massings and other aspects of one of the many east morehead projects in the pipeline. This is the Morehead Properties LLC project.

Screenshot2012-03-20at92701AM.png

Screenshot2012-03-20at92750AM.pngI love the skybridge condos, even though I'd be scared to death to live in them. Also notice on the Sample Street Elevation that it includes the 12 story office tower that is proposed beside it.

Edited by Guest

They are using real limestone for the entire facade. For that, I'm more than ok with the converative architecture.

True, I'd rather them do something conservative but thoughtful and high quality than something thats funky and modern at a glance and cheap upon closer inspection (we have a lot of that already). Does anyone know what the site looks like from the top though? Its unclear to me what the proximity to the street will be.

True, I'd rather them do something conservative but thoughtful and high quality than something thats funky and modern at a glance and cheap upon closer inspection (we have a lot of that already). Does anyone know what the site looks like from the top though? Its unclear to me what the proximity to the street will be.

Screenshot2012-03-20at105114AM.png

see site plan.

Edited by Guest

Great, let's get rid of more of what few small-scale affordable retail spaces we have. I know its not a particularly interesting building and has front parking, but I wish it would stay until something truly better replaces it. I guess I should have known by now that we can't build anything without having the entire block as a blank slate :/

Edited by nonillogical

• 1 month later...

Some Dilworth retail updates:

JJ's Red Hots is coming along, with HEAVY interior work (they gutted the whole place and are redoing the patio and everything), and the news today that it will feature a takeout window! I think this is going to be the place to finally work in that location. They are slated to open in July.

Nearby in the strip across from Caribou/Brueggers, Pour Olive has opened, an artisan olive oil and vinegar shop. I bought a gift in there the other day and was impressed. Dozens of dispensers with detailed descriptions where you pour your own selection into custom bottles, and mini cups for all the tasting you care to do. I was really impressed by the quality of everything, and how flavorful good olive oil can be. The owner showed me around like a wine sommelier recommending pairings and potential uses for each. He said they'd be doing occasional events and might host things like wine tastings. Really cool place.

Two doors down in the same building a women's clothing boutique looks ready to open with dresses in the window. I'm not 100% on the name but I think it was along the lines of Nestique.

I think it got mentioned already but there is a french bakery going in one of those house retail spaces between thai taste and alexander scott. Interior work seems to be making progress.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, the old Blockbuster is actually being split into 3 retail spaces, and all have tenants lined up already. The Jersey Mikes, which was already mentioned, a frozen yogurt place, and I cannot remember the 3rd unfortunately but I'm pretty sure it was more food.

The frozen yogurt place irks me a little, because I have no love for a place that seeks to move in and cannibalize a successful niche business with a practically identical product. I don't think Menchies is going anywhere though, and in reality will probably make this new (and more generic-looking) effort doomed from the start.

I just had to share...I am ecstatic about the signage for JJ's that went in yesterday. Looks old-school, fits the building, eye-catching, and IMO its pretty surprising for Dilworth, in a good way. Looks a lot larger in person.

This just solidifies my confidence that this is finally a tenant that is really serious and is here to stay. I think that's the area of the walk-up takeout window below the sign in the first image, btw.

img0140lhw.jpg

img0139ux.jpg

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention, the old Blockbuster is actually being split into 3 retail spaces, and all have tenants lined up already. The Jersey Mikes, which was already mentioned, a frozen yogurt place, and I cannot remember the 3rd unfortunately but I'm pretty sure it was more food.

Will the Blockbuster building be reused? I can't tell if you mean the building or the site. Of course it would be nice to get a more urban building built, but regardless it is nice that it will not be a vacant relic.

Will the Blockbuster building be reused? I can't tell if you mean the building or the site. Of course it would be nice to get a more urban building built, but regardless it is nice that it will not be a vacant relic.

The Blockbuster building is being reused. the only reason why I like the Blockbuster parking lot is because it is easier to cut through it than to wait to make a left turn from East onto Kennelworth.

I like the re-use of the building JJ's is going in, but I can't believe the narrow sidewalks there. East actually gets a large amount of pedestrian traffic. It is ridiculous that we have planting strips instead of wider sidewalks. 8' sidewalks from back-of-curb with tree-wells should be the design from Lobardy Cir to Dilworth Rd East.

I tend to agree. I guess I would have preferred to city to have shouldered the tab during the East Blvd steetscape projects. I think new construction should require back-of-curb sidewalks, and perhaps a renovation requiring building permits should require a widened sidewalk, but with the city reimbursing a significant portion of that expense.

There _may_ be a new multi-family project in the works in Dilworth. Demolition is underway on the four remaining single family houses on the west side of Euclid between Tremont and McDonald. These houses have been used for offices for the past decade. This is the last remaining gap between the new multi-family condo structures on the block so the new landuse seems obvious, but I have not heard any project announcements yet.

http://maps.google.c...12,1.99,,0,6.41

A sign is now up here for "The Cottages on Euclid" the rendering on the sign looks like the complex next door at 2005 Euclid. Sorry I don't have any other information.

It will, at least, be better than what was there before.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dilworth Quarterly mentions a small project that (I think) has flown under everyone's radar:

Lincoln-Harris has proposed two buildings, a 14,000 sqft Walgreens (with a drive through) and a 16,000 sqft office building on the Springs parcel across Morehead St from Ascension Lutheran. Needless to say, DCDA is not happy about the drive-through (among other things).

I assume this is the parcel being referred to? http://goo.gl/maps/fjLo (the front facade is awesome, but the rest of the building is pretty dreadful)

Suburban construction on that lot would be really disappointing, but I will say that a 24 hour drug/convenience store nearby would be extremely helpful. The Rite Aid in Southend has horrible hours and the CVS badly needs remodeled and better staffing (and bike racks, which they refuse to put in).

^ I finally checked polaris and the two parcels on the West corner of the intersection (across Kennilworth from CMC) are owned by "Edward Springs Interiors." You are right, that midrise on the opposite corner really needs to go.

The original info said "across morehead from ascension lutheran..." which would mean this: http://goo.gl/maps/Sfgk

The sign in front of the white house does say "Edward H. Springs" but I can't imagine these 2 buildings going away. Hopefully it was just a miscommunication and we are talking about that office midrise which has been due for demolition for some time.