Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Please refresh my memory - East Blvd directly across from Freedom Park, what’s being built?  Two (2) Tower Cranes active at this site.

That is a luxury apartment complex I think Mr Jim Gross is involved can't remember the name.  

Edited by KJHburg
correction on the developer
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 5:58 PM, tarhoosier said:

Jim Gross of Arlington and other high end homes in intown areas.

Does anyone have renderings for this project?  I’ve seen one rendering attached to an article about the construction loan, but nothing else.  

What I did hear about the initial scale of the project vs what I see being built leads me to believe it may have been scaled back.  Does anyone know how many stories / how tall this will be?

Does anyone know if some of the other projects on East Blvd are still going to break ground soon?   Curious about the Epicurean Site, Starbucks/Keyman Building Site, and the Alpine Ski Center site.

Just now, drawscape said:

There is no way those are final renderings from an architecture firm, they have to be early conceptual renderings that were discarded due to be so ugly...........right?

That's most likely correct. It's so easy to render complete projects these days, the renderings shown were most likely just to see the massing of the buildings.

The site plans that were submitted to the city are attached. There is some good info in there about the project.

2016785152_APPROVED-LDUPED-2022-00008-Vol1-of-2(1).pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, CLTdev18 said:

That's most likely correct. It's so easy to render complete projects these days, the renderings shown were most likely just to see the massing of the buildings.

The site plans that were submitted to the city are attached. There is some good info in there about the project.

2016785152_APPROVED-LDUPED-2022-00008-Vol1-of-2(1).pdf 62.53 MB · 1 download

Those can't possibly be the final renderings, no way. Definitely just massing models from SketchUp. Hilarious that they're out there in public though.

K2M's stuff is... fine. They're the ones who did the luxury condos in Myers Park with the exposed stairs and walkways. I actually like pieces of that project, but I wouldn't expect this one to be super-creative.

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Synopsis of article: Southern Land has the right to build on the site  of Wyatt Leeper historic store and Tyber Creek restaurant. Clearwater owns property at corner of Worthington and Cleveland and proposed moving the store building to their lot to save the building. Now Clearwater says move too difficult and proposed lot too small to make move viable and Southern has to decide fate of Historic designated store building. 

The Historic Landmarks Commission may have something to say about it too, since this is a landmarked building.

2 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

K2M's stuff is... fine. They're the ones who did the luxury condos in Myers Park with the exposed stairs and walkways. 

You're telling me it wasn't an after-thought? I always figured the exposed stairs were a result of the building being fully designed and at the last minute they realized they needed another stair so instead of properly redesigning they just threw it on the exterior of the building. Sheesh.....Maybe they have low fees and that's how they get work?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

https://clevelandconstruction.com/general-contracting/projects/east-boulevard-apartments

here is what those apartments will look like on East Blvd.  

this is a curious rendering of the new apartment complex  maybe this is what our skyline will look like in the future.

East Boulevard Apartments

I am cracking up at that skyline in the background lmao. Love how you can even see where it is copy and pasted.

1 hour ago, AltNative said:

You're telling me it wasn't an after-thought? I always figured the exposed stairs were a result of the building being fully designed and at the last minute they realized they needed another stair so instead of properly redesigning they just threw it on the exterior of the building. Sheesh.....Maybe they have low fees and that's how they get work?

Ha, the stairs/walkways and the large-scale precast frame system around them is actually the part of the project I like. It's at least visually interesting.

That Myers Park project you mention, Opus Myers park, is a Jim Gross project, same as this one. 

When the Opus was in construction I saw a 3D visualization of at least some of the units. The subtitles for the visualizations were in English and Chinese.

Jim Gross was a neighbor in Dilworth for some time and our paths have crossed intermittently since that time. He studied architecture at UNCC as a student. He purchased, lived in, renovated and sold two or three houses in the neighborhood and then moved on to others pursuits. He is responsible for Factory South (former Lance Plant)  and the Arlington, the desert rose tower on adjoining property on South Boulevard.

He bought the Temple Israel property at Dilworth Road and Mount Vernon and developed Dilworth Crescent. Later he developed Carmel Crescent.

Factory South was his first large scale project and he told me he learned from it. One thing was to limit those with advance deposits from flipping their interests. He would walk through the under construction building and encounter real estate agents chaperoning interested parties and he asked what they were doing. They represented a depositor and were selling their units against his own inventory. 

• Like 4