Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

Not as action packed as David’s picts, but it is a very photogenic crane, which happens to be adjacent to quite a few UPers.

I hope it doesn’t fall on me while I sleep (but my neighbors 150 year old oaks are probably a bigger risk)

EF6277E4-C47C-460A-9437-BD858A35D643.jpeg

A82DEF16-BDD1-4BFC-AA2E-97A263CC6F03.jpeg

I am curious how often I have walked by you when walking my dog now :tw_grin:

• Like 4

a central Dilworth rezoning is controversial (who would have guessed that? ) at the Starbucks site on East Blvd.

"""Neighbors are pushing back on SunCap Property Group's plan to build a 300,000-square-foot development in the heart of Dilworth.

The $90 million project is expected to include up to 300 multifamily units, ground-floor retail and office space, according to previous CBJ reporting. The bulk of the project — about 270,000 square feet — is expected to be multifamily, with 15,000 square feet of retail and 20,000 square feet of office space.

Collin Brown, of local law firm Alexander Ricks, spoke on behalf of SunCap at a public hearing during last night's Charlotte City Council zoning meeting. Brown said the petition changed since it was first filed with the city in March 2022. Originally, SunCap wanted to rezone 2.01 acres at East Boulevard and Scott Avenue to mixed-use development district, from its current zoning.

After various community meetings and a look at the city's unified development ordinance, which takes effect on June 1, SunCap determined that it only needed to rezone the 0.28-acre Starbucks property.  

The zoning change will allow for a building height of up to 65 feet with the opportunity for bonus height that could make the building as tall as 80 feet. Gary Klasen, president of the 1315 East Condominium Association, said this is what he and many other residents of 1315 East are unhappy about.

"The owners and residents of our 142 condos are not against planned and reasonable growth," he said. "An 80-foot height on this, or any future parcels, is inconsistent with the character of our distinctive neighborhood ... (and) sets a trend for all future parcels, leading to increased density, significant congestion and potentially lower property values"""

full story here https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/04/18/suncap-property-group-rezoning-dilworth-project.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

a central Dilworth rezoning is controversial (who would have guessed that? ) at the Starbucks site on East Blvd.

"""Neighbors are pushing back on SunCap Property Group's plan to build a 300,000-square-foot development in the heart of Dilworth.

The $90 million project is expected to include up to 300 multifamily units, ground-floor retail and office space, according to previous CBJ reporting. The bulk of the project — about 270,000 square feet — is expected to be multifamily, with 15,000 square feet of retail and 20,000 square feet of office space.

Collin Brown, of local law firm Alexander Ricks, spoke on behalf of SunCap at a public hearing during last night's Charlotte City Council zoning meeting. Brown said the petition changed since it was first filed with the city in March 2022. Originally, SunCap wanted to rezone 2.01 acres at East Boulevard and Scott Avenue to mixed-use development district, from its current zoning.

After various community meetings and a look at the city's unified development ordinance, which takes effect on June 1, SunCap determined that it only needed to rezone the 0.28-acre Starbucks property.  

The zoning change will allow for a building height of up to 65 feet with the opportunity for bonus height that could make the building as tall as 80 feet. Gary Klasen, president of the 1315 East Condominium Association, said this is what he and many other residents of 1315 East are unhappy about.

"The owners and residents of our 142 condos are not against planned and reasonable growth," he said. "An 80-foot height on this, or any future parcels, is inconsistent with the character of our distinctive neighborhood ... (and) sets a trend for all future parcels, leading to increased density, significant congestion and potentially lower property values"""

full story here https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/04/18/suncap-property-group-rezoning-dilworth-project.html

This is completely asinine. 1315 East is 8 floors at its tallest. Isn’t an 8 floor residential building about 80 feet tall??? How is this not the most blatant form of hypocrisy? How is their building “consistent with the character of (their) distinctive neighborhood” but this new one isn’t? Am I missing something?

7 hours ago, kermit said:

^ as a neighborhood resident who can currently see five cranes  from my front porch, I feel the need to say the NIMBYs should  go F’ themselves. We all gotta do our share to provide housing for Charlotte, this building is a sensible way to do that.

Plenty of empty lots for up-zoning here in the west end, and we're as close and in some cases, closer to Uptown than in Dilworth, and the lots happen to be along a fixed transit line to boot.  I doubt they'd meet with resistance here.   

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

You don't really see neighborhoods like this in other cities of 3 million people.

Not sure I agree, places like the Annex in Toronto, Virginia Highland in Atlanta, Hays Barton in Raleigh, Fisher Park in Gboro (OK, both of these are much smaller than 3 million), Indian Village in Detroit, all over MSP... feel much the same as Dilworth to me. I think its just a product of urban growth being concentrated in the auto-era so new housing production mostly by-passed the streetcar suburbs. Your  right, you don't really see these sorts of places that saw their greatest growth before WWII.

I would also say that densification is coming to the edges of the neighborhood along South blvd, over by the Hospital / Morehead and (possibly) around East and Kennilworth. I do think we will see _some_ ADUs (there are already a few) and a few new 'plexes (there are also a handful of these already) built soon which will help densify the interior of the hood. I think more effort is being made to densify Dilworth than any other South Charlotte hood (which is not to say its enough, but change is happening).  

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I noticed that Cleveland Construction is the General Contractor for the East Blvd Development (Near Freedom Park) and things  seem to be progressing quickly.  A real difference from the Glacial pace of things at the Carolina Theater Renovation.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...