920 Cherry, ICCF/Blodgett Home and Fairmount Square

joeDowntown

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since our renovation funds come from an ICCF program I had to stop in there to drop off some reciepts for the first time yesterday. They did a bang-up job on the inside, really nice all around right down to the paint job on the stair risers!

Can't wait to see the outside change over the next couple of weeks...

I was snooping around the site and was looking at the colum components and was wondering what they were made out of? It does not seem like a normal clay product to me, is it some type of composite? It is very thin walled and has some sort of embedded mesh. Just curious if anyone knows.

I had the opportunity to take a peek around the building today -- and meet Houser. The interior is almost completely finished. Move-in will begin within the nest couple weeks. Although most of it looks like a common office building, there are several areas with well-restored original features -- especially the boardroom and auditorium. Some of the terra cotta for the front columns has arrived and more is scheduled to come in the next week or so.

An interesting observation: as the masons were laying out the bases for the new columns, it became apparent that the front steps were poured about 8 inches too narrow and will require some kind of small build-out in order to support the column. Whoops!

I was snooping around the site and was looking at the colum components and was wondering what they were made out of? It does not seem like a normal clay product to me, is it some type of composite? It is very thin walled and has some sort of embedded mesh. Just curious if anyone knows.

It is concrete reenforced fiberglass, made to look exactly like the original terra cota. Original pieces were taken off the building in order to create a perfect mold for the new pieces. They were then glazed to the exact shade of cream. Pretty incredible, eh?

Where were you snooping? I didn't see evidence of your presence.

• 1 month later...

Apparently Eastbrook appealed the HPC's denial of their four-unit building on Hollister to the state level. They are also coming back with a new two-unit proposal for the Hollister site for the next HPC meeting.

And yes dtown and tslater, the brick street was redone this year. It looks incredible. You can see a portion of it here:

GreenWell2.jpg

Archived