920 Cherry, ICCF/Blodgett Home and Fairmount Square

joeDowntown

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never quite understood why the HPC denied that request. I know the reason was that they thought the develpement was too dense, but i thought denisity was good. It reduces cost and resouces and since it puts more people in a smaller space it allows for more green space. There are seveal areas in the city where you will find multi-units buildings mixed with single family homes. I thought the diversity was good for the community. I think the HPC does great work, so i'm wondering what there thinking was behind this decision.

• 3 weeks later...

Condo plans divide Fairmount Square neighbors

Thursday, December 06, 2007

By Jim Harger

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- The streets are in place and the lots are staked out for a condominium project in the city's Fairmount Square neighborhood.

But after more than a year of sparring between preservation-minded neighbors and developer Eastbrook Homes, it's still unclear what the area's first privately backed housing project in 30 years will look like.

Neighbors who convinced the city's Historic Preservation Commission to reject Eastbrook's plans this summer now claim there isn't enough green space around the 35 units in the latest plan.

I know some people here live in this area. Is it true that neighbors are "divided", or are there just several people who just don't want Eastbrook there no matter what they come up with? The comments about "two car garages" is a bit strange. If you polled Grand Rapids residents who only have 1 car garages currently, I'm guessing 95% of them would love a two-car garage. :huh:

Eastbrook has brought on Tom Nemitz of Cornerstone Architects to design the new townhomes, which is a big change for them since most of their design work is done in-house (at least it used to be the case several years ago). Plans should be available to the public here shortly (keeping an eye out for the agenda pdf). Starting prices also now look to be $159K, which is lower than they had originally proposed.

Here are the new designs, compliments of a fellow Planeteer :thumbsup: :

Pretty straightforward. I do think they look more like the neighboring homes than the old plans.

2093543598_77bfd5ab8a_o.jpg

As well as a breakdown of the exterior materials to be used:

2092793797_f0374d1662_b.jpg

Blodgett is a new street in the development that runs East/West, and Hollister Ave runs alongside the development North/South and intersects with Cherry. Here is the old site plan, which has now been revised to the new layouts, but essentially the layout remains much the same (AFAIK):

265679371_7b4c1f8f55_o.jpg

Here were the previous plans that were rejected by the HPC:

265679364_c518310a91.jpg

265679365_04392fbc18.jpg

265679368_0d9b2a501d.jpg

I have to agree... the new design does look better than the old one. I don't have a problem with the desity, considering that what was there before certainly wasn't very dense. I am excited to see this project get going, the more people in the area, the more chance there will be to drive the neighborhood to be even better, and the more opportunity for what I really would like to see in the area...a real neighborhood grocery store.

I have to agree... the new design does look better than the old one. I don't have a problem with the desity, considering that what was there before certainly wasn't very dense. I am excited to see this project get going, the more people in the area, the more chance there will be to drive the neighborhood to be even better, and the more opportunity for what I really would like to see in the area...a real neighborhood grocery store.

Where would someone put a real neighborhood grocery store in East Hills? And how big does it have to be to be considered adequate? Does it need a meat dept. and a bakery and a large produce section? Does Martha's Vineyard count as a neighborhood grocery?

Edit: This might be off topic though. I don't know where it would go though, maybe it's own topic in Coffeehouse? I definitely think there is a need for a decent grocery store to serve the Heritage Hill/East Hills/west midtown area. But, you pay for the small size and convenience in higher prices.

We go to the Family Fare on Fulton too, but head out to Meijers out once a month or so. I think that a little meat market would be nice in the area- currently there really isn't much choice anywhere close, the Family Fare doesn't have the best meat department. In the summer, however we utilize the Farmers Market all the time, in my opinion, that is the best asset the area has. :)

:D thanks Jeff.

Is this quote still accurate? "Cummings said most of the townhouses will have two bedrooms, but all will be built to be easily expanded if another bedroom, a rec room or a den is needed. The homes will offer about 1,500 square feet of living space and will sell from $125,000 to $195,000."

ala 2004.

Archived