920 Cherry, ICCF/Blodgett Home and Fairmount Square

joeDowntown

Um, not to be snarky or anything, but did she chain herself to a tree that was already cut down?

075317337_Cherry%20Trees.jpg

It seems like that's the kind of thing where you want to chain yourself to a tree that was still, you know, not cut down...

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's got moxie, but her timing is just a little off. ;)

Eastbrook does a pretty good job of landscaping their developments. I'm sure they won't leave it treeless. Not quite sure what her goal was but I think I'm going to chain myself to something in protest this weekend. ;)

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

According to the Press, the HPC shot it down again, this time for being "too dense". I don't understand, I thought that being in the city means increased density, if people want to have more space, then there are lots of suburbs to move to. I live about two blocks away from this developement and do not feel that the increased density would have a negative impact, in fact, more people would only increase the level of activity and the need for more neighborhood businesses.

According to the Press, the HPC shot it down again, this time for being "too dense". I don't understand, I thought that being in the city means increased density, if people want to have more space, then there are lots of suburbs to move to. I live about two blocks away from this developement and do not feel that the increased density would have a negative impact, in fact, more people would only increase the level of activity and the need for more neighborhood businesses.

I agree. Unless it had a townhouse feel. It'll be interesting to know the details.

The Press article was a bit off. No one in the neighborhood opposes density, in fact many believe that the density could be increased given that it is done with the appropriate architectural form. It is interesting that you suggest people move to the suburbs since the proposed development seems to be a bit of the suburbs moving to the city. Standard suburban development spreads out unlike standard urban development which goes up.

Neighbors have been meeting independently and with Eastbrook to outline what exactly is required for the development to fit into the context of this historic neighborhood. Eastbrook generously hired an independent architect to work with the group and came out with some mutually agreed upon facade designs. What remains in contention is the mass and scale of some of the units, essentially putting in an 80 foot wide building on a street otherwise occupied by 25 foot wide houses. I believe that HPC has made it fairly clear that such massing will not work on Hollister.

As far as the idea that the process is being held up, that is a misnomer. This is inline with the process recommended by the State Historic Preservation Office and is basic community level planning. Eastbrook made an application before working with the neighborhood and it has now been going back to correct that oversight. It is more important to have the project done correctly than it is to have it done quickly.

At first, I was relieved that the HPC and neighbors were being so selective. However, this is getting a little ridiculous. Somebody needs to tell Eastbrook exactly what they want so they can start building! I don't know who to be frustrated with--neighbors, HPC, or Eastbrook. All I know is that there is a big field of dirt in my backyard that I am sick of looking at and would love to see some homes on ASAP.

Speaking of Nitro, I saw his picture in a Business Journal supplemental publication today (Health Care issue). Something about a green roof.... :whistling:

Here's yer steel Rhino.

699559918_0701e6be26_b.jpg

Whoever got those planters worked into the Cherry Street rebuild budget did a nice job!

699559848_1265b784fd_b.jpg

Speaking of Nitro, I saw his picture in a Business Journal supplemental publication today (Health Care issue). Something about a green roof.... :whistling:

Here's yer steel Rhino.

699559918_0701e6be26_b.jpg

Whoever got those planters worked into the Cherry Street rebuild budget did a nice job!

699559848_1265b784fd_b.jpg

Thanks for the shot of the steel finally up aound the front of the DAB building. Perhaps an update is in order. As was alluded to in an earlier post, we are having a very difficult time with the vendor in Dallas that has been contracted to manufacture the replacement ornamentation peices. Tomorrow folks from Rockford Construction are flying to Dallas for the third time to try to extract some promises from the folks. Most of us associated with the project are quite pessamistic that these folks will change their behavior because we have had so many promises in the past. Indeed Rockford Construction has located another vendor that may be willing to take on the project. I think a final decision is due later this week.

The interior is coming along very nicely. Finish carpentry is about 75% done, painters are now on the final finish coat, ceramic tile in the rest rooms is 75% complete, ceilings are done, some carpet is installed, etc. Rockford is on track to have the interior complete by August 3. HVAC testing and balancing and flush out runs the first 2 weeks of August and furniture installation runs the last 2 weeks. ICCF staff will be moving in on August 31.

Pouring the cap on the front porch and steps will also begin within days. When that is complete the brick vaneer around the front porch will start. Construction of the garden in the front of the building is to start very soon as well. If we havew to move in with the exterior masonry ornamentation in complete, so be it!

• 1 month later...

I had the opportunity to take a peek around the building today -- and meet Houser. The interior is almost completely finished. Move-in will begin within the nest couple weeks. Although most of it looks like a common office building, there are several areas with well-restored original features -- especially the boardroom and auditorium. Some of the terra cotta for the front columns has arrived and more is scheduled to come in the next week or so.

An interesting observation: as the masons were laying out the bases for the new columns, it became apparent that the front steps were poured about 8 inches too narrow and will require some kind of small build-out in order to support the column. Whoops!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived