Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

Why does everybody have such a negative attitude towards it?

-nb

Three words - Friday night parking.

I don't mind parking and walking, but some weekends you can't even find a parking spot - whether it's going to the theater or to one of the restaurants.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In keeping with Celebration Cinema....

Does anyone have any insight as to how Woodland's theater is performing? I had heard that they were not hitting the numbers they thought. In thinking of my family, we still always go to Celebration North even though Woodland is a little closer.

Just wondering if it was pulling in the seats it projected?

Because basically it's a collection of buildings rather than a well-designed plan that gives you the impression or feeling of a city center. It's a very disjointed complex with some strange architecture...

I sometimes frequent that Fred's, and to get there I ride up Leffingwell (a quiet, wide, traffic-free street) and then east on Knapp. Coming from that direction, there's a lovely bucolic setting, and then suddenly >BAM!< Neon! Parking lots! Traffic lights! It looks like Cedar Pointe when viewed from across the lake.

Especially jarring late evenings, when a couple cars get stacked at the light and otherwise Knapp is dark.

Is celebration fully built yet, or are they going to keep filling it in, yes there are some problems like the dranage pond out front and parking but tehy can be improved and it might be better when its fully built

As for the woodland theater I don't think its doing that great but look at it. It was built really cheaply compared to the one at rivertown and the place is always trashed, there is also no direct connection to the mall and it was not until recently that the red robin and the new bar open which might help. overall I was very dissapointed in the quality and cleanliness of theater the first time I went to woodland, judging from the rivertown one

In keeping with Celebration Cinema....

Does anyone have any insight as to how Woodland's theater is performing? I had heard that they were not hitting the numbers they thought. In thinking of my family, we still always go to Celebration North even though Woodland is a little closer.

Just wondering if it was pulling in the seats it projected?

I find it interesting that you go out of your way to Celebration North, when I think that Cinemark is a better movie going experience. IMO the overall ambiance is nicer at Cinemark, that is if Woodland is anything like Rivertown.

Anyway, can the area support another theatre downtown and another one in Walker, in addition to the Star on Alpine?

I find it interesting that you go out of your way to Celebration North, when I think that Cinemark is a better movie going experience. IMO the overall ambiance is nicer at Cinemark, that is if Woodland is anything like Rivertown.

Anyway, can the area support another theatre downtown and another one in Walker, in addition to the Star on Alpine?

Theres a theatre going in this thing? :sick:

If this development gets a theater, Star on Alpine will close for sure.

In regards to Celebration Village, I think people are voting with their feet as to whether Celebration Village is a success or not. That whole complex is always busy. I know the developers are also working on a possible hotel on the Northeast site as well, which is shown on their site plan, with more ground floor retail facing the theater. It is a little disjointed between IHOP/Macatawa Bank and the rest of the development, but I heard that had a lot more to do with those particular tenants as opposed to the developer.

If this development gets a theater, Star on Alpine will close for sure.

In regards to Celebration Village, I think people are voting with their feet as to whether Celebration Village is a success or not. That whole complex is always busy. I know the developers are also working on a possible hotel on the Northeast site as well, which is shown on their site plan, with more ground floor retail facing the theater. It is a little disjointed between IHOP/Macatawa Bank and the rest of the development, but I heard that had a lot more to do with those particular tenants as opposed to the developer.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5...mp;nav=menu44_1

I guess there is going to be a theatre in it :sick:

Although some might disagree, the last thing I would want this to do is to turn Alpine into Plainfield.

Hmmm:

But if not Cabela's, then what? Officials with Trademark Property tell us Destination Entertainment - a hotel-indoor-outdoor water park.

That would be cool.

Any guess (even if purely a guess) how much housing would sell for in a development like this?

The housing aspect i think also may be overkill the housing market is starting to cool so who will be snapping up these house's?. Also another movie theatre on that side of town makes no sense. All thes movie theatres at once is kinda crazy if this one gets built the downtown one i dont see it being built.

The housing aspect i think also may be overkill the housing market is starting to cool so who will be snapping up these house's?. Also another movie theatre on that side of town makes no sense. All thes movie theatres at once is kinda crazy if this one gets built the downtown one i dont see it being built.

The housing market has been cool here for a couple of years now. In fact, some realtors I know think we may have hit bottom and are slowly climbing out. I hope they're right.

It's too hard to tell at this point how expensive housing will be in this development until they give some kind of detailed site plan and renderings, and even then it would be difficult to determine until they release pricing. Will they have condo "flats" above the retail? How will the townhouses be layed out? etc... The NW side does have a lot fewer housing/condo developments going on compared to other areas around Grand Rapids, so maybe it will do well.

But it seems there are a lot of people targeting empty nesters and young professionals....

I'm a young professional who is eager to get into the housing market and I think this could be cool and think it might be a neat place to live.

Depending on price and the walkability of the neighborhood in relation to everything else, shops, movie theatre, restaurants, etc. If its just a parking/driving mess where I'd have to drive 2 blocks to eat b/c I'd get killed if I would try to walk, doesn't sound like an engaging community to me.

I don't think the downtown movie theater has a service area of the entire metro, rather serving people near Downtown.

I'm a young professional who is eager to get into the housing market and I think this could be cool and think it might be a neat place to live.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking for a house / condo in the GR area for almost 2 months now, but unfortunately have yet to find anything that fits what I am looking for.

I'm sure some of it is due to me being rather picky, but at the same time, I've found that a LOT of the houses for sale in GR need a LOT of work (roof needs immediate replacement, basement leaks, floors / ceiling are in terrible shape, etc.) I don't mind doing cosmetic work, but when structural / mechanical work in excess of $15k will be required almost immediately - it doesn't surprise me at all that homes aren't selling.

At the same time, all of the new condos going in are out of my price range at $200k and above...I think I am like a lot of people my age (mid-twenties), in that I don't want to be a slave to a mortgage and property taxes, scraping by each month just to pay down debt.

I'm guessing that I am not alone in my searches, and I also think that there's a HUGE untapped market of potential home/condo buyers that is being completely ignored right now.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking for a house / condo in the GR area for almost 2 months now, but unfortunately have yet to find anything that fits what I am looking for.

I'm sure some of it is due to me being rather picky, but at the same time, I've found that a LOT of the houses for sale in GR need a LOT of work (roof needs immediate replacement, basement leaks, floors / ceiling are in terrible shape, etc.) I don't mind doing cosmetic work, but when structural / mechanical work in excess of $15k will be required almost immediately - it doesn't surprise me at all that homes aren't selling.

While I don

If done right I could see wanting to live in one of these things, but looking at this it seems like you'd just be buying a house in a sea of parking. I see very little housing here, and it isn't where you'd expect it. By the ravine? No, that's where the mega-store is located. WTF?

-nb

At the same time, all of the new condos going in are out of my price range at $200k and above...I think I am like a lot of people my age (mid-twenties), in that I don't want to be a slave to a mortgage and property taxes, scraping by each month just to pay down debt.

I'm guessing that I am not alone in my searches, and I also think that there's a HUGE untapped market of potential home/condo buyers that is being completely ignored right now.

I agree CK1. (without taking this topic off topic)

The only housing I see on this site plan is what looks like townhomes near 4 Mile, and then I also believe they are talking about doing residential above the retail (as was shown in that similar development they referenced in Texas).

Archived