Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

On large scale development like this, developers many times are asking for infrastucture to be funded by the municipality. Many times it's in the form of tax credits by the city or state, or interchange improvements provided by the state, etc.. But I think you knew that arleady Nitro. :D

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I gave up too soon on this development too soon. :blush: But living in walker has taught me not to get my hopes up with this city until I see good and solid construction underway. Anyway I'm glad to see the green light on Orchard Park. Now if somebody would give Walker a swift kick on the seat of its pants to get the infrastructure improvments issue dealt with on a timely bases, we'll see some major construction soon.

I guess I gave up too soon on this development too soon. :blush: But living in walker has taught me not to get my hopes up with this city until I see good and solid construction underway. Anyway I'm glad to see the green light on Orchard Park. Now if somebody would give Walker a swift kick on the seat of its pants to get the infrastructure improvments issue dealt with on a timely bases, we'll see some major construction soon.

IIRC, they had foundation poured and some stuff up for the building to house a 2nd sheet of ice. Neighbors complained about the building "blocking their view" or some nonsense. NIMBYism at its finest. I don't think the 2nd sheet has ever been installed. I think they covered the foundation work and other stuff that *was* completed with tarps. It's been a while since I've been over there, however.

• 1 month later...

Cabela's seeks $15 million in incentives for Walker site

WALKER -- Cabela's Inc. will build a store in Walker if an economic incentive package worth about $15 million can be put together, according to state and city officials who attended a meeting with the outdoor retail giant last week.

Cabela's officials also told state, county and city representatives at a meeting Friday that Walker is the only site in Michigan they are considering.

Cabela's seeks $15 million in incentives for Walker site

WALKER -- Cabela's Inc. will build a store in Walker if an economic incentive package worth about $15 million can be put together, according to state and city officials who attended a meeting with the outdoor retail giant last week.

Cabela's officials also told state, county and city representatives at a meeting Friday that Walker is the only site in Michigan they are considering.

GRDad, you beat me to it! :thumbsup:

The next question would be: Is it worth $15 Million to bring Cabela's here? I think it will depend on what they require the city/county to do and how long it will take to to recoupe the monies spent from the additional tax base added to the area. What are your thougths?

So Cabela's want $15 million in help - don't you think the developers of Orchard Park would have some incentive to kcik in a few million as well to seal the deal? My guess is that the land, leases, and homes being built would be much, much, much more valuable with Cabela's there than not...

I'm sure the city / county / state will look at all of the potential hotels, restaurants, and other potential area attractions in their evaluation of incentive packages as well (look at how Dundee has exploded in recent years). Also, it'd be nice to see Granholm step up to bat on this one as well.

Also the article mentions that Walker isn't the only site they are looking at in Michigan. So from the State standpoint, why would they care if it is built in Walker, Lansing or Muskegon? As long as it is in the State of Michigan the State will get its money from any location.

The complete article from Mlive is now available here:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...&thispage=1

• "Walker officials also have said they will not contribute money to lure Cabela's to the area.

But Planner Frank Wash said the developers could apply for state brownfield redevelopment credits if they can prove the former orchard where Cabela's would be built is somehow contaminated."

• "Walker store would employ 118 full-time and 145 part-time workers in the first year with a payroll of $6.58 million. "

• "Bossenbroek noted $30 million in incentives announced for Auburn Hills-based United Solar Ovonic's high-tech solar energy film plant planned in Greenville. Those jobs pay $12.50 an hour, about the same as a Cabela's job."

• "Sikkema said the state has stepped up with dollars to help other non-traditional projects and thinks it should for Cabela's as well.

"We've sunk millions of state dollars to improving the roads and infrastructure for the Super Bowl. Did the same thing for the (Major League Baseball) All-Star Game," he said.

"Why you wouldn't do something similar for something that has far more economic value over the long term is beyond me." "

So, Cabela's wants the city to subsidize their sprawl? No, thank you, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I have nothing against this development aside from it being urban sprawl, but I don't think it's the government's job to give handouts to companies that certainly don't need it.

-nb

Agreed, I think since the developer will reap the most from this deal, they should pitch in the most. It will allow them to get higher rents in the retail bays, attract a better group of tenants, and certainly help sell restaurant and hotel outlots. Shoot, the developer could probably GIVE Cabela's the lot and make it up on the rest of the development.

Archived