Orchard Park Development

OneSweetWorld

It's alive and kicking. Scheduled to open this summer still.

IKEA Canton

The deal appeared dead when IKEA decided the land price and concessions weren't good enough. They announced they were going to look into the Lansing market instead, and *suddenly* the deal was on again as Canton decided it really did want the store after all. :rolleyes:

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of reasons deals fall apart, Zach's baby face isn't one of them.

Right, I was just insinuating that if he was the face-man/front man, then maybe Cabela's wasn't convinced of the amount of experience being applied to the Orchard Park Development. That could lead to a lack of confidence that not everything would go according to plan or as smoothly.

But then again, maybe Zach was the only one in the office when the cameras showed up.

Interesting. Kind of makes the first Cabela's rep look silly.

I saw this on the news last night. TV-8 is definitely trying to make the first rep look silly, but the first rep answered correctly. TV-8 asked if Cabela's is in negotiations with Walker for a store. They are not. They are, however, looking at potential sites in West Michigan, including the Walker site. Gathering information for potential sites and actually negotiating for a site, are two different things.

Sounds like TV-8 asked the wrong question on Tuesday and didn't think to ask a follow up question asking if Cabela's had any interest in locating in West Michigan. My guess is someone at the station finally figured out yesterday that should have asked more follow up questions...

IKEA!!! (hopefully.)

Or else a movie theater :(

As much as I would like to have an IKEA in my back yard, I highly doubt if they would put one in the GR area. We simply do not have the population draw that many of the IKEA stores have currently have. All the IKEA's right now are in some huge urban areas Chicago, Buffalo, Toronto, PA, and now Detroit. GR does not have this...yet...

Yah, I was going to say that GR is about the same size as Buffalo/Niagara Falls Metro.

Do we get the Tourism as the Buffalo/Nigara area...Nope...Ikea looks to draw from other towns and tourism...what do we have? Maybe Lansing. It would be great but I highly doubt it. I've never been to a dead IKEA, they are always busy. The numbers are not here in West Michigan.

Do we get the Tourism as the Buffalo/Nigara area...Nope...Ikea looks to draw from other towns and tourism...what do we have? Maybe Lansing. It would be great but I highly doubt it. I've never been to a dead IKEA, they are always busy. The numbers are not here in West Michigan.

Maybe Lansing? :huh: I would say we get the same tourism business that the Buffalo/Niagara area gets, especially when you include the lakeshore area. But that wasn't what I was responding to, I was responding to this sentence: "All the IKEA's right now are in some huge urban areas Chicago, Buffalo, Toronto,...."

I can't imagine that Canton, Michigan gets ANY tourism traffic, so they are looking to generate traffic. In fact, didn't IKEA take over the site of an AutoMartUSA or something similar that went out of business?

We went to the IKEA in Schaumburg and it was not that busy the day we were there. About as busy as a Target on a weekday. Just my $.02.

I am quite familiar with the Buffalo area, my in-laws live there and we visit several times a year. There is no IKEA in Buffalo, the closest one is in Hamilton, Ontario area, about an hour from Buffalo. A lot of people from Buffalo go there though, and there is a lot of other retail in between. The Buffalo area is actually not doing too badly, considering it was a highly industrialized city that met the hard times of overseas manufacturing. There are many sad stories of companies moving and thousands of worker being laid off. The area, as I stated is doing ok, it is a very sprawlled city spread over lots of land area and lots of suburbs. It is also very segregated with a lot of rich suburbs surrounding a poor inner-city, it actually seems a lot like Detroit and other typical mid-western declining manufacturing cities. However, there is starting to be some downtown revitalization. Every time I go there, I here of new downtown condos or something. I think in a few years, it will really come back to life!

• 2 weeks later...

Am I understanding this story correctly? Is Cabela's looking for rezoning, or is WOODTV just talking about the developers looking for rezoning?

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4696067

The way it is written, it sounds like Cabela's itself is looking for rezoning, doesn't it? WOOD TV may have it wrong.

The Walker Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on a rezoning application from the outdoor sports store.

According to the Walker Planning office the rezoning request is from the developer. The city has had no talks at all with Cabelas to date.

This is just a continuation of the developer trying to get all their ducks in a row to hopefully attract Cabelas to this site.

According to the Walker Planning office the rezoning request is from the developer. The city has had no talks at all with Cabelas to date.

This is just a continuation of the developer trying to get all their ducks in a row to hopefully attract Cabelas to this site.

Yikes! That's really bad reporting on WOODTV's part.

• 5 months later...

Walker city planning to discuss town center project

Last week, LSL planning suggested some changes for the retail-residential project.

They include expanding the width of the sidewalks and making the walls near the residential area at least 40% brick or stone.

They must have seen Veloise's scathing critique of Waterfall Shoppe's embarrasing accessability problems.

Walker city planning to discuss town center project

Last week, LSL planning suggested some changes for the retail-residential project.

They include expanding the width of the sidewalks and making the walls near the residential area at least 40% brick or stone.

They must have seen Veloise's scathing critique of Waterfall Shoppe's embarassing accessibility problems.

Labas, Val!

[that's a Baltic greeting to a pard]

WOODTV may be jumping the gun again:

The commission is expected to approve site plans for the Orchard Hills Development at I-96 and Four Mile Road. The development includes a $30 - $50 million Cabela's, a sporting goods facility that attracts more than 4 million visitors at each of its locations each year

Walker developments could get the green light

Sounds like Cabela's is all but a done deal.

WOODTV may be jumping the gun again:

The commission is expected to approve site plans for the Orchard Hills Development at I-96 and Four Mile Road. The development includes a $30 - $50 million Cabela's, a sporting goods facility that attracts more than 4 million visitors at each of its locations each year

Walker developments could get the green light

Sounds like Cabela's is all but a done deal.

Was at the meeting tonight, the commision did approve the conditions for th MPUD and did state that some of the requirments may have to change if a Cabellas were to come (such as allowing outdoor sales/storage of goods) but there was no indication what so ever that Cabelas was a sure thing.

Archived