Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Speaking of Circuit City, my cousin works at the Circuit City in Va Beach (town center area). He said they are going to be completely renovating the store in the near future and rumor has it that they will add a second story.

I'm going to keep on him about that to see if any truth comes out of the rumor.

They recently renovated that store as I recall. And a 2 story CC? Never seen one myself! :shok:

They recently renovated that store as I recall. And a 2 story CC? Never seen one myself! :shok:

If they do that, then they'll divide the current site in half. There's a 2-story CC in Santa Monica but it takes half the footprint of other CC's.

Amid influx of new neighbors, Norfolks Painted lady gets new owners

The owners have discussed turning an adjacent small building, which belongs to the restaurant property, into a breakfast place called The Little Lady that will incorporate pastries made in-house and other current brunch items into an everyday morning menu. They also plan to expand the restaurant

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if I missed this somewhere else in the forum or if you guys already know but I just wanted to give a heads up that MacArthur has signed some new tenants including New York and Co., the region's second H&M store which will be the same size as the one at Lynnhaven, a Dell Direct shop, Lids and a Farmer's Market on the grassy area where the ice rink is at during the winter which will feature farm fresh, VA grown produce during the summer, and a few more tenants that I forgot. In order to accomodate the new tennants, Sharper Image, Payless, and As Seen On TV will relocate to other parts of the mall. Zales is also set to open soon and rumors are swirling that an Apple Store has been secretly signed and will be a time based regional exclusive but may not be revealed until less than a month till it actually opens. All in all, the mall seems to be in the upswing.

Don't know if I missed this somewhere else in the forum or if you guys already know but I just wanted to give a heads up that MacArthur has signed some new tenants including New York and Co., the region's second H&M store which will be the same size as the one at Lynnhaven, a Dell Direct shop, Lids and a Farmer's Market on the grassy area where the ice rink is at during the winter which will feature farm fresh, VA grown produce during the summer, and a few more tenants that I forgot. In order to accomodate the new tennants, Sharper Image, Payless, and As Seen On TV will relocate to other parts of the mall. Zales is also set to open soon and rumors are swirling that an Apple Store has been secretly signed and will be a time based regional exclusive but may not be revealed until less than a month till it actually opens. All in all, the mall seems to be in the upswing.

That's good cause I saw a lot of empty stores compared to none at Lynnhaven (unless you count the 3 empty stores in the food court).

That's good cause I saw a lot of empty stores compared to none at Lynnhaven (unless you count the 3 empty stores in the food court).

Virtually all the stores that left where due to company bankruptcy or company re-organizations that had nothing to due with their mall performance though some that recently left were due to the mall not really pursuing in renewing or extending leases. Mall managment seemed to want some tenants to finish their lease and not re-sign them in order to add new tenants which appears to be the case.

Reading the current issue of PortFolio I was surprised by the cover article, written by Tom Robotham, about Bibliophile bookshop in downtown Norfolk. I had heard of the store before (only the name really) but had never seen it and never knew that it was located downtown, or at least just a few blocks away. The article gives the address as 251 W Bute St, right by the several high rise apartment/condominium projects going up on Brambleton, so hopefully he can hold out that long as those residents should help boost his business. I'm going to make a point to check the place out next time I'm in Norfolk and I thought it relevant to post this here in case anybody else was interested and hadn't known of the place before. I think it's especially worth pointing out since a lot of us on the forum have really been pining for a big book retailer like Barnes & Noble in downtown.

Here is the link to the PortFolio article.

Farmers In Town

You don’t expect a conversation with a cattle rancher to shift from the values of grass-fed beef to a critique of New Urbanism, replete with references to Kunstler’s writings. That’s one of the many unexpected layers to this summer’s expansion of Norfolk’s Five Points Community Farm Market to a site alongside MacArthur Center Mall.....

As someone who lives within 15 minutes (by car) to a farmer's market, it is a godsend. I would love to see Norfolk have a real farmers market.

Here in Montreal we have two, Atwater and the famous March

Edited by Glassoul

I know the city has made arrangements to relocate the Union Mission but there hasn't been any recent news. It's a sticky topic with the city so don't expect anything to happen real fast.

I thought the Union Mission bought the old Va Natural Gas park on Vabeach Blvd.

I'm still quite unsure of what is taking so long. VA Natural Gas has already moved their headquarters to 150 W Main and has been there for some time.

Well they have to change the buildings to living space. I imagine it still has to go through the planning commission to change the zoning for people to stay there. Also I've heard some opposition from the neighborhoods surrounding the area. Also, Union Mission is working with donated money so it will take them a while to get this together.

Contemporary furniture store heading for Mac Arthur Center

With the growth of condos and the real estate explosion that's happening in Norfolk, EQ3 will fit well downtown, said Larry Bloom, the retailer's president of its Virginia and Washington region.

EQ3 targets the urban dweller with modern, sleek, European designs at moderate prices. Sofas, for instance, range from $499 to $999, Bloom said.