Foundry Park

wrldcoupe4

Yeah, I think there will be about 4 acres left to develop once Meadwestvaco and the parking deck are built. The Ethyl folks envision shops/entertainment, and more than one building housing residential, office, or maybe a hotel. That's long term vision of course and wouldn't occur until after MWV is finished probably.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work has definitely begun. A fence with green "non see-thru plastic" (not sure of the technical term) has been erected around the site. Heavy equipment and trailers have are also on site. Great to see!!

If Foundry isn't, what will be your next project, Shak? I hope you can remain in Richmond. Maybe you can move over to Center Stage since it breaks ground on June 1st. Or maybe the proposed tower on the 9th and Cary triangle will need your help. :)

I hope to remain in Richmond as well. The company I work for asked me if I would like to re-locate to Maryland. (HELL NO!!!).

Center Stage is being done by another general contractor (Gilbane).

From the Mayor's E-newsletter via email:

Fortune 500 company MeadWestvaco Corp. is locating its international headquarters in Downtown Richmond, and the groundbreaking is set for May 21. The packaging giant is bringing up to 1,000 employees to its new riverfront location just west of the Federal Reserve Bank, when the doors open in 2009.

MeadWestvacos decision to come to Downtown followed fierce competition among neighboring localities who sought to lure this major employer. Mr. John Luke Jr., MeadWestvaco's chairman and chief executive officer, noted all of the energy and excitement of Downtown," along with factors such as proximity to the Citys financial district and the airport, and the positive impact of Virginia Commonwealth University as some of the reasons for choosing Richmond. Numerous individuals played a role in making this a reality, and our community will greatly benefit from having yet another Fortune-ranked company among us.

Today, Meadwestvaco officially broke ground on their new riverfront Headquarters downtown...

Work Begins on Meadwestvaco HQ

The 300,000-square-foot office building at 501 S. Fifth St. is being developed by Richmond-based NewMarket Corp. as part of a larger commercial and retail development planned for the site called Foundry Park. NewMarket Corp., which has its headquarters adjacent to the site, is a petroleum additives company.

A reply from my inquiry to JBlackwell at RTD reads: "...you're right, the building is closer to 7th than 5th, but the company considers the 5th Street side the main entrance.

"I also counted 11 levels, but the architects and company said the two lowest levels are only 'half' floors for a cafeteria."

It seems to be a trend downtown for suburban-like buildings. I'm glad that PM & MWV will be there, but it's almost impossible to figure out how many levels each has.

Is it just coincidence that the two new similar buildings will anchor the north and south ends of 5th/7th Streets downtown?

This is amazing!! :w00t:

MeadWestvaco Breaks Ground

untitledle5.png

Monday, May 21st

Groundbreaking of the MeadWestvaco Headquarters in Downtown Richmond.

Today officials broke ground on the new headquarters, part of a long-term development project named Foundry Park, located on the riverfront site between 5th Street and 7th Street in Downtown Richmond. Construction of the new headquarters is expected to be completed around mid-2009. The building is designed to be about 300,000 square feet constructed of precast limestone concrete and horizontal bands of both tinted and reflective glass. A double-height balcony on the northeast corner will provide an expansive view of the city center.

Also incorporated into Foundry Park will be a new parking deck fronting Byrd Street between 5th and 7th Streets. This deck will be for Federal Reserve Bank employees.

MeadWestvaco is a Fortune 500 global packaging company that delivers high-value packaging solutions and products to the world's most recognized companies in the food and beverage, media and entertainment, personal care, home and garden, cosmetic and healthcare industries. The company also has market-leading positions in its Consumer & Office Products, Specialty Chemicals and Specialty Papers businesses.

Archived