City View Phase 3 (Under Construction)

vdogg

Yay! Finally. I was getting worried about this. Between the 2 15-story buildings in this project, Aloft, and Gateway Tower, we should have a few highrises under construction at the same time. Should look pretty impressive from 264. :)

I really can't wait for the constitution drive extension...it is very overdue and will connect a lot of mixed-use area to allow for "flow" in town center. Diversify the area within walking distance and the economic opportunities will pour in!!!

Also, I feel like this is a really well-rounded and thoughtful development. I seems as though careful preservation of the wetlands is a big priority. Which will be better appreciated once the trail is in place anyways. Also I like that the top floor of the 15 story will be a community room and fitness center. It makes every space more attractive when they all have access to the same amenities. This place has the potential to be a jewel, with its awesome view juxtaposing the wetlands with the semi-urban skyline. I don't know, it seems to stir a lot of imagination...at least for me!

I hope the financing is secure and LRT comes soon to make this development really soar!

Edited by mlsimons

I really can't wait for the constitution drive extension...it is very overdue and will connect a lot of mixed-use area to allow for "flow" in town center. Diversify the area within walking distance and the economic opportunities will pour in!!!

Also, I feel like this is a really well-rounded and thoughtful development. I seems as though careful preservation of the wetlands is a big priority. Which will be better appreciated once the trail is in place anyways. Also I like that the top floor of the 15 story will be a community room and fitness center. It makes every space more attractive when they all have access to the same amenities. This place has the potential to be a jewel, with its awesome view juxtaposing the wetlands with the semi-urban skyline. I don't know, it seems to stir a lot of imagination...at least for me!

I hope the financing is secure and LRT comes soon to make this development really soar!

The trails through the wetlands and the fact that the wetlands will be a gap between this development and the town center is a great sign that Pembroke is becoming something unique, which is always a good move for an urban area.

Now if only they would of been open to linking the town center to Mt Trashmore, that bridge over 264 would of made so much sense.

The trails through the wetlands and the fact that the wetlands will be a gap between this development and the town center is a great sign that Pembroke is becoming something unique, which is always a good move for an urban area.

Now if only they would of been open to linking the town center to Mt Trashmore, that bridge over 264 would of made so much sense.

Yeah, i've looked at the map a thousand times, and I don't know how the city can put a bridge over 264 down edwin drive. I needs to be done. I originally thought about a tunnel under years ago, but now I realize that would be crazy expensive, not realistic.

But from a transportation perspective, it needs to be down to prevent town center from one day being a serious bottle neck, which would spell disaster!

Yeah, i've looked at the map a thousand times, and I don't know how the city can put a bridge over 264 down edwin drive. I needs to be done. I originally thought about a tunnel under years ago, but now I realize that would be crazy expensive, not realistic.

But from a transportation perspective, it needs to be down to prevent town center from one day being a serious bottle neck, which would spell disaster!

Well they had a chance once when the owners of that office park that was built in the way, the owners offered to sell some of the land to the city for that idea and they turned them down, which made no sense. Now the best they could do would be a walking bridge or a streetcar bridge if they ran a loop out that way.

• 3 months later...

A bridge would be absurdly expensive as well... all the lane closures that would be required to installed the deck would cost millions each. It would be really nice to have some route across though... I mean to be able to ride a bike between trashmore & TC by direct route over the thalia greenway would be great. I work on South Blvd east of Independence, and it'd be fun to be able to ride a circuit at lunch or after hours.

Even just a pedestrian bridge would be ridiculous. How much was the one from the westin to the dick's garage? Like 8 million or something? Imagine the cost of one traveling across 10 lanes of high volume interstate traffic.

Even a pedestrian tunnel, like you see on golf courses sometimes, would probably be infeasibe, although a very cool option :)

A bridge would be absurdly expensive as well... all the lane closures that would be required to installed the deck would cost millions each. It would be really nice to have some route across though... I mean to be able to ride a bike between trashmore & TC by direct route over the thalia greenway would be great. I work on South Blvd east of Independence, and it'd be fun to be able to ride a circuit at lunch or after hours.

Even just a pedestrian bridge would be ridiculous. How much was the one from the westin to the dick's garage? Like 8 million or something? Imagine the cost of one traveling across 10 lanes of high volume interstate traffic.

Even a pedestrian tunnel, like you see on golf courses sometimes, would probably be infeasibe, although a very cool option :)

'

The cost to connect two buildings is always much more costly because it is connecting two independent structures together...a pedestrian bridge would be an independent bridge that would only need itself to support, which is much easier to do...the part that becomes costly with this is the design....we have all seen those ugly pedestrian overpasses on highways where we wonder what the hell are they even connecting? But still, my guess would be about 15-20 million to have a bike and pedestrian bridge connecting the two sides.

This would be a great idea in a larger scheme where it is apart of a trail path that connects multiple areas throughout the district together....even better if it can be made into a loop of some sort.

'

The cost to connect two buildings is always much more costly because it is connecting two independent structures together...a pedestrian bridge would be an independent bridge that would only need itself to support, which is much easier to do...the part that becomes costly with this is the design....we have all seen those ugly pedestrian overpasses on highways where we wonder what the hell are they even connecting? But still, my guess would be about 15-20 million to have a bike and pedestrian bridge connecting the two sides.

This would be a great idea in a larger scheme where it is apart of a trail path that connects multiple areas throughout the district together....even better if it can be made into a loop of some sort.

Another issue that needs to be remedied... There's several large office buildings along South Blvd (right on the south side of 264 between Independence & Trashmore). As I mentioned before, I work in one of these, with probably a couple thousand other people.

If LRT does make its way to TC, Virginia Beach really needs to invest in some sort of sidewalk at the very least along Independence from TC south to South Blvd. Currently the interchange at Independence & 264 is a pedestrians worst nightmare. Anyone who drives by this area should be able to testify to this.

I'd love to ride the train from my place in Norfolk to TC and walk the 1/2 mile to work...but only if I know I can get there without playing the live action version of frogger.

• 2 months later...

yeah, wouldn't hurt.

I'm really not familiar with this development. Is this the development that's off to your right on I-264 if your going towards the oceanfront?

no, it is on the opposite side of I-2564 opposing mount trashmore, behind the office park complex

Edited by ronsmytheiii

but it's still on the mount trashmore side of 264, right? there's like three or four low rise buildings over there? because I think I've seen it from the interstate, but I'm not sure. ha once they build the 15 story buildings I'm sure I won't be able to miss it!

Edited by varider

but it's still on the mount trashmore side of 264, right? there's like three or four low rise buildings over there? because I think I've seen it from the interstate, but I'm not sure. ha once they build the 15 story buildings I'm sure I won't be able to miss it!

No other side of the road, behind the office complex

Edit: It is near the Crowne Plaza

Edited by ronsmytheiii

These don't look urban at all. I hope phase 2 looks better.. This looks like something in Kempsville! & this is supposed to be Va Beach's emerging downtown? Umm, no. Will the 15 story buildings be visible from 264? Will it add to the "skyline"

They don't look urban but they do look nice! i would imagine the next phase, being bigger, should be visible from 264

due to its proximity and the creek, I dont think phase one was ever meant to be urban feeling. Phase two will sit on a road connected to the town center, so I have a feeling that will have a bit more of an urban feeling with the ground floor retail and such...the tall building will be noticeable, but they will add to the skyline the same way the two green water towers add to the skyline because the building is so far removed from the core of the town center....but nonetheless, it will be a good addition for the area.

In other news, developer Ripley - Heatwole Co. secured a $5 million loan to begin the second phase of CityView @ Town Center in Virginia Beach, a 24-acre mixed use development on Bonney Road.

The funds will be used for site work and the extension of Constitution Drive to Bonney Road.

CityView at Town Center includes residential, retail and office space, with nearly half of the land preserved as tidal wetlands along Thalia Creek.

Phase one of the development, Midtown @ CityView, consists of 196 apartment homes, 750- to 1,550-square-feet apiece, in three buildings, connected by sky bridges to a centrally located covered parking garage.

The project architects at CMSS are currently completing the design of the next two mid-rise, mixed-use buildings, which include a 400-space parking deck, with construction beginning later this year.

When complete, CityView will contain 75,000- to 125,000-square-feet of retail and office space, 425 rental apartment homes, 30 loft-style condominium homes and 100 luxury condominium homes.

You can read the article at the Link below.. Phase 2 of CityView

CityView Article