City View Phase 3 (Under Construction)

vdogg

Phase two's information has been updated and the project has changed substantially! :yahoo:

Phase Two

Currently in the design stage, the second phase of CityView will be a mixture of uses including residential, office, retail, and perhaps a hotel. Phase II will be intersected by Constitution Drive Extended. CDE will extend from the intersection of Bonney Road and Bendix Drive, to the current end of Constitution Drive, located to the north of Thalia Creek.

CityView Phase II, as currently planned, will be a mixture of uses within four buildings and two parking garages. The buildings will range in height from 7 to 15 stories.

The first section of Phase II will contain office/retail and residential uses within two buildings and a parking garage. The first building will be an 8 story apartment building, and will wrap the parking garage on two sides. The building will contain approximately 114 apartment homes ranging in size from 914 to 1440 square feet, along with a community room and fitness center for the residents.

The second building will be a 15 story “mixed use” design. The first five floors will be retail/office commercial space of approximately 100,000 square feet. Floors six thru fourteen will contain 117 apartment homes. The fifteenth floor will feature a community room and outdoor plaza for the apartment residents. Access to the residential units will be via an elevated pedestrian walkway from the parking garage.

The parking garage will be approximately 8 stories, with a rooftop pool/cabana area and outdoor plaza.

The second section of Phase II will contain office/retail and residential uses within two buildings and a parking garage. The first building will be a 7 story mixed-use building, with two floors of office/retail use at approximately 11,000 square feet, and 25 loft style condominiums at around 1000 square feet per unit.

The second building will be a 10-15 story luxury condominium building featuring approximately 100 homes. Amenities will include a club room and outdoor pool pavilion.

When completed, Phase II of CityView will contain approximately 110,000 square feet of retail/office commercial space, 230 rental apartment homes, 25 studio style condominium homes, and 100 luxury condominium homes.

Two 15 story buildings instead of one. :D I'm ecstatic. In that location that will be awesome. This is a significant expansion of their plans and will turn Bonney road into quite the intensive urban district. This will truly extend the bounderies of downtown VB towards 264 and it will even put pressure on the Days inn and Circuit City properties for future development.

this is really good to hear. It is kind of funny for me, I have been living in Portland for a while now and something like this would be a so what bit of news cause we currently have a millionaire downtown under construction right now where all the towers are 20 something floors high and if you were to take those towers and put them in VB it would be a downtown, but here it is just going to be a dense neighborhood. Kind of funny, but seperately noting, this is good to see for VB, wish the architecture was better, but can't have everything sometimes.

Although, VB will be getting a bit of Portland with the development that happens just west of the town center, I forgot what that one is called.

You know it has been a while since we have seen a great phot shoot of that area including mt trashmore views, parking garage, and so on views. Would be nice to see. hint hint.

Wow, that is extremely exciting! I still wonder how much these units will cost... Does anyone know? I like the mixed units though; some condos, some apartments, some studios... I am also a fan of the rooftop plans they all seem to have!

Edited by RJWGMU

Could someone google earth or find a map rendering showing the extension of Constitution to Midtown? I've never been back in Columbus Station so i really don't know how the road goes, or ends. Thanks :)
I don't have anywhere to post photos up on the net right now, but if you go to the CityView homepage: http://www.ripheat.com/cityview_town_center.php Click on the 2nd photo on the right side of the page. That shows the 2 locations for Phase I (dirt spot at left) & Phase II (dirt spot at right). Constitution is the road that end just North of Thalia Creek, more or less directly between the 2 phases. It will extend from that point, in a smooth curve, through Phase II to that interesection of Bendix & Bonney Road (the intersection you can see at the bottom right part of the photo).

okay, that helps more. Phase 1 is just an apartment/condo complex. Is there going to be much connectivity between the two parts? Actually it is gonna seem somewhat off for that area too. I am not one for skylines cause streetlife is much more important, but the location of this in comparision to the towncenter is going to create a very weird skyline for that area. Especially seeing that the condos in between the projects isnt going anywhere.

okay, that helps more. Phase 1 is just an apartment/condo complex. Is there going to be much connectivity between the two parts? Actually it is gonna seem somewhat off for that area too. I am not one for skylines cause streetlife is much more important, but the location of this in comparision to the towncenter is going to create a very weird skyline for that area. Especially seeing that the condos in between the projects isnt going anywhere.

I thought Columbus Station was a rental apartment complex not condos. And after comparing Dragas's website and aerials of CS, I'm starting to wonder if part of complex are apartments owned by Dragas and the other half are condos. I don't know if they could redevelop the portion along Constitution as live/work lofts and condos. Anyway, it looks like a quarter mile walk (5 minute walk) between Columbus and Bonney with construction of the CDE. That should open up movement between employees at the Convergence Center and Resource Bank HQ and TC. I'm sure with good lighting, City View residents will make the stroll down Constitution to TC. It's flat and only a 5 minute walk.

Edited by hoobo

I thought Columbus Station was a rental apartment complex not condos. And after comparing Dragas's website and aerials of CS, I'm starting to wonder if part of complex are apartments owned by Dragas and the other half are condos. I don't know if they could redevelop the portion along Constitution as live/work lofts and condos. Anyway, it looks like a quarter mile walk (5 minute walk) between Columbus and Bonney with construction of the CDE. That should open up movement between employees at the Convergence Center and Resource Bank HQ and TC. I'm sure with good lighting, City View residents will make the stroll down Constitution to TC. It's flat and only a 5 minute walk.

Actually half are condos and the other half are apartments cause I once looked at buying a condo over there before picking one off First Colonial.

Connectivity between the urban parts are important, which mean carrying streets over. There needs to be some form of coherent grid going on. Actually one thing that is bothering me about VB is that if feels like they are letting the developers build their downtown rather than creating an idea for how they wish the urban development to happen. But then again, that is how the city grew anyway, developers decided how the city would develop, not the city government.

The front of Columbus Station is all apartments and all the rest are all condos. I live back there myself and I am glad I don't live in the projected path of the proposed widened road.

this all will be a GREAT addition to the va beach skyline! the property values in that condo area between the tc and midtown will skyrocket! so as of now, the tallest is 15 stories,right? this is great!

• 3 weeks later...

Is the billboard located on the same site?

It's located on the phase II land. Billboard isn't really an accurate term. It's just a sign with a rendering on it. Kinda like what they had in front of the Westin only not as fancy and with no digital display. I'll take a pic of it tommorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Was checking out some of the vb construction sites on this beaaaautiful day outside. Here's a few snapshots I grabbed from CityView, http://purdue.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2...amp;id=13701583 .

For some reason I can't post them as images here, although I've done it in the past.

Looks like the Phase II area is a full staging area at the moment, and the sign on site basically just has a drawing of the building & contact informations, nothing really interesting, or that you can't already see on the CityView website.

The final few are photos of Cornerstone as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a new rendering of what phase I will look like when completed. I didn't see any new renderings of phase II. I just posted this one because I thought it was from a neat perspective. Also, they've started advertising for the phase I apartments in the apartment guide.

phaseArendering.jpg

Here's a new rendering of what phase I will look like when completed. I didn't see any new renderings of phase II. I just posted this one because I thought it was from a neat perspective. Also, they've started advertising for the phase I apartments in the apartment guide.

phaseArendering.jpg

That's a cool looking sketch. I wish they had it produced in the computer though!

• 2 months later...

Construction of Constitution drive extended will begin in February of 2009 and finish in October of 2009. The city and developer will be splitting the cost. I am currently in the process of copying relevant documents and will post them here in a minute.