City View Phase 3 (Under Construction)

vdogg

It's gonna be interesting to see things go here. I have heard several units in Columbus Station might be torn down to make way for this road extension.

You can gurantee it. Not only are there apartments right in the path of the extension, but they are widening the enitire length to 4 lanes. That will take the units closest to the road as well. I'm willing to bet that a substantial portion of that 15 mil is going to buy property or condemn it).

I am actually involved in this project and wanted to take a moment to clarify a few things about Constitution Drive. The most important point is that no units (apartments or condos) will be taken for the extension and expansion of Constitution Drive. All of the road improvements will be made within the 90

I am actually involved in this project and wanted to take a moment to clarify a few things about Constitution Drive. The most important point is that no units (apartments or condos) will be taken for the extension and expansion of Constitution Drive. All of the road improvements will be made within the 90' ROW which has been reserved for over 30 years. The west side of the road will remain as it currently is set up, with all improvements being made to the east of the existing road. The new road will be 4 lanes; however the speed limit will be 25 mph. Construction is scheduled to start in the fall of 2008 and should take 12 – 14 months to complete. Hopefully this will clear up any questions and/or concerns regarding the extension of Constitution Drive.

Thank you very much and welcome to the forum. It's always good to get some inside input. I must admit that the road didn't look wide enough to accomodate the extra lanes and extension, but its' very good that no one will lose their homes. Fall 2008 is far earlier than what was indicated in the cities 2009-2010 budget (feb 09 was the date given), are they still helping with part of the bill? Also, is the construction of phase II timed to coincide with the road construction, or will this happen after constitution is complete? Thanks for any answers you may be able to provide. :)

• 1 month later...

They've finally posted the design of the building that fronts bonney. I am highly impressed. This will make a fantastic addition to downtown Virginia Beach.

Cityviewphase2image3.jpg

Cityviewphase2building3bottom.jpg

That does look great, however will it get scaled back because of the housing market?

That does look great, however will it get scaled back because of the housing market?

No, this is a brand new rendering which has been scaled up from the original, not down. Besides, this is not a condo tower. From their site:

"The second building will be a 15 story

Wow !! That building looks awesome! It kind of reminds me a little of the Meridian at City Center, perhaps a little more 'grand.'

It's going to do wonders for expanding the downtown of Virginia Beach, and giving it a real scale - a gradual buildup of height to the center of TC.

And it's going to look so great with the two new VBTC office towers !! Wooo!

Looks a lot like Harbor Heights, especially with the glass corner.

HH is more in the shape of a u though, this one isn't. The coloring seems different (hopefully it's brick, but i'm not holding my breath). I think this building will be uniform all around, judging by an earlier rendering, instead of one side just being left blank. I can definitely see the resemblance in the corner glass though, and some of the street level appearance. It's the same architect for both towers, so some crossover is to be expected.

it looks like it will be a little bit taller that Columbus One. Not that bad. Even better when they connect the road and I hope the city decides to dig up that little creek to turn that into a good size lake with a trail around it. Then the VB downtown would start to take shape.

Gorgeous, i like the design alot, and being slightly removed from TC the rents should be lower than the 'luxury apartments' at the Cosmo

I think what I like about this is that it reminds me of something you'd see on the approach to DC. It just has that classic urban look to it. You know what else i've just realized? It's been about 2 years since we last criticized a design from CMSS. :lol: They really did turn a corner, i'm glad they've started to get a little more bold with their designs.

I think what I like about this is that it reminds me of something you'd see on the approach to DC. It just has that classic urban look to it. You know what else i've just realized? It's been about 2 years since we last criticized a design from CMSS. :lol: They really did turn a corner, i'm glad they've started to get a little more bold with their designs.

I agree with each point you just made - it looks a LOT like the highrises in Arlington and Alexandria on the hills overlooking the Capitol. It's just really good design.

It's been a good week or so for urban developments around here :)

It's been a good week or so for urban developments around here :)

It's been a good month really. It's like someone just opened the flood gates. If this is what a recession means for Hampton Roads, I won't mind if it last a little bit longer :lol:.

• 2 months later...

I haven't had my camera and i'm flying by, but this phase one of this project is nearing completion. They're accepting reservations for apartments now, and the right side of the development looks to be 90% complete, while the left looks to be around 70%. If anyone gets the chance to take pictures before I do, please post them, this development looks great!

Phase 2 is just a dirt lot still

• 2 months later...

Looks like a few new renderings on CityView's website. This is gonna look great when they are done.

Those renderings have been out for a while. I posted them a few pages back in this thread. Nothing has changed recently, still waiting on them to start CDE which is supposed to be starting this fall according to them.

Yes, Constitution will be extended to Bonney Rd.
Once the city extends Constitution to Bonney, they should take a look at extending it across Bonney, down Bendix, then creating a new overpass across 264 to Mt. Trashmore -- a signature entrance, with perhaps only two lanes of vehicular traffic, and a broad pedestrian/bike area. Maybe bend Edwin drive around, take part of that parking lot east of Edwin, and connect them?

When we talk about making VB Boulevard into a Champs-

• 2 months later...

Heatwole expects road construction to begin in March, kicking off the second phase of CityView at Town Center. Once the developer completes the $16 million road project, with the city footing $9.2 million, ownership will be transferred to the city, City Councilman Jim Wood said.

Yay! Finally. I was getting worried about this. Between the 2 15-story buildings in this project, Aloft, and Gateway Tower, we should have a few highrises under construction at the same time. Should look pretty impressive from 264. :)