CONSTRUCTION THREAD: The Camperdown

RestedTraveler

But affordable housing all means affordable rents, and I do not know if the new apartments will be in that range or not, I think if things go well at McBee Station and at The Lofts of Greenville that more and more apartment opportunities may arise and maybe at lower rents as well.

I'm not convinced that more apartments will arise, myself. I've seen apartment complexes elsewhere in the country (primarily in Florida) being converted into condos and sold. The same could happen here if the housing market stays strong.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not convinced that more apartments will arise, myself. I've seen apartment complexes elsewhere in the country (primarily in Florida) being converted into condos and sold. The same could happen here if the housing market stays strong.

That was becuase when the interest rates went down so low everybody wanted to own their residence which meant apartments had trouble leasing, developers started buying them up and selling them in condos, it was a fad, a craze, a bubble even. And their were apartments condoed in the upstate as well.

Now interest rates are climbing less people will be buying and more people are renting which means more apartments will be needed. That means more will have to be built to replace the ones sold as condos as well as more apartments built for the new people moving to the area. Now, it just needs to be proven that people will rent apartments in Downtown and maybe more will be built downtown rather that in the Suburbs were most of them are being built.

Now, it just needs to be proven that people will rent apartments in Downtown and maybe more will be built downtown rather that in the Suburbs were most of them are being built.

It's a catch-22. No one will build apartments because it hasn't been proven yet. It hasn't been proven because there aren't enough available to serve as proof.

But they are, McBee station will have 192 apartment units.

:thumbsup: I am excited about this. I imagine they will maintain a high occupancy rate. Consider the many people who would like to "test" the waters of downtown living, but don't want to commit to a mortgage yet. Also, there are many who aren't sure whether Greenville will be their home for a long term, and this would give them a great option in downtown until they either move away ( :cry: ), or find a condo, townhome, or house somewhere ( :D ).

Even though it is several blocks off of the main hub of activity on Main Street, Main at McBee would be my preferred choice location-wise simply because you have so much right there - Publix, Staples, etc. That would be so great to just walk to and from the supermarket! :thumbsup:

Oh, I almost forget. I got an email today from the Marchant Co. about the Camperdown.

Question: Are you still planning for construction of this to start sometime this fall?

Answer: The developer has not committed to a start date. I would certainly hope that would be the case as the demand and interest in the property is great! Timing is perfect also. Kathy Slayter

Also recall that there was a blurb in the Greenville Journal TBA section about The Camperdown, and how there is renewed interest lately in terms of getting it off the ground. It also mentioned that the project was first announced 4 years ago, and I did not know it had been that long. Hopefully something will start to happen soon! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Question: Is the Camperdown going to be a LEED certified or a green building?

Answer: It is "a green building" - curious as to why you are asking. Also, see that the townhomes near the governors' school are all sold - great work. K

• 2 weeks later...

Word has it that Harper is ready to begin work on this site as the number of required units to be pre-sold has been met. Thanks to g-man430 for keeping in correspondence with them, even while in exile.

looks like i have been proven wrong!! i love it when that happens :thumbsup:

Yea, I don't know about you folks, but I've been anticipating the Camperdown's construction much more than the Pinnacle on Main as it's just one more piece falling into place in the jigsaw puzzle along the Reedy. Once the Kroc Center and the new Cleveland Park West are under way, this area will tie in very nicely with the rest of Downtown. :shades:

I work for Harper but have not heard anything mentionable about the camperdown. We are going to start the brick work on the publix beside 29 in september. They are working on starting the parking deck now there though. If all the units have been sold then i would suspect that it wont be long before you see an office trailer and some grading equipment down there.

Word has it that Harper is ready to begin work on this site as the number of required units to be pre-sold has been met. Thanks to g-man430 for keeping in correspondence with them, even while in exile.

This sounds encouraging, but we have heard similar rumors for some time now on this and other projects. Who was it that said "call me when someone sticks a shovel in the ground"? :silly:

Archived