The Watering Hole

It is absolutly BEAUTIFUL out today!

Amen, sib! Typed from my usual summer evening haunt: wifi outdoors at Four Friends. (Toasted almond gelato, mmmmmmm.)

By the time I get back home there will be more than 25 miles on the odometer. White Pine Trail was busy (lots of folks missed the forecast and wore long sleeves/pants). Swung past the Alpine Fred for dinner and provisions, sat outside there too.

When is the ice rink supposed to close? The weekend forecast looks like a return to March.

I was guilty of wearing shorts on that first nice day. Its funny when people do that, even when its only like 60 degrees out. They always have to wear sorts on the first nice day of the year.

I sat on my front porch for about 4 hours while discussing my spring break plans with my friend. Then, i went and got Big John Steak and Onion and ate that outside, too.

Hilarious video (has little to do with GR):

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2773525

My sis sent me the YouTube link. and then I found this high-res one. Ready to ride down to Austin to be a Street Spankers groupie.

First part is poo-poo ca-ca vulgar, but it gets better.

ETA: Found in the Standale Fred parking lot the year they opened.

magnets1.jpg

magnets2.jpg

Edited by Veloise

Just have to share the good news...signed a purchase agreement on my first house last night! It means I'll be leaving downtown :( but it's the end of crappy landlords! My wife and I will be moving out to Caledonia towards the end of April...if anybody knows of any good restaurants/hangouts in the area it would be appreciated (already noticed the Sam's Joint).

Just have to share the good news...signed a purchase agreement on my first house last night! It means I'll be leaving downtown :( but it's the end of crappy landlords! My wife and I will be moving out to Caledonia towards the end of April...if anybody knows of any good restaurants/hangouts in the area it would be appreciated (already noticed the Sam's Joint).

So you ended up not buying in Wildflower Creek eh? Caledonia is a pretty broad reaching address, where abouts are you going to be?

If anyone is interested, for the latest month, the Grand Rapids forum had 1130 page views (unique visitors) for the month, and the GR Coffee House had 364 page views.

The Grand Rapids forum was the busiest forum last month on all of UP. Of course, this isn't a "# of visitors competition". :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd share some pictures of our production of "CATS" last week. It was a HUGE success, all four nights were completely sold out.

The whole group:

n1266570114_30004034_8766.jpg

Rum Tum and Bustopher:

n1266570114_30004031_6920.jpg

Curtain call, whole cast:

n1266570114_30004030_6709.jpg

Little bit closer to the choir:

n1266570114_30004033_8404.jpg

Sorry no Grizabella pictures, but here's a video I uploaded on YouTube with her. She is a PHENOMENAL singer; I'm in the process of obtaining our production DVD and uploading that later.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ngjPSokCRKc

Some stats:

- the entire set took us from the minute we announced the show in December up until the day of the performance to be built. Gathering all the junk appliances, hauling the wood, planning it out, building the platforms and trap doors, and finding the right details to make it look like an authentic junkyard took a LONG time.

- rehearsals lasted from after school (about 3:00pm) until around 9 or 10pm at night EVERY school night, and pretty much ALL DAY on all Saturdays and Sundays. This does not include the various vocal and dance choreographing lessons the kids had to take.

- costumes, make-up, wigs, and other needed accessories cost us over $200 per cat. Times that by 45 cats and that's a lot of money. Times the make-up cost (around $50 per cat) by the four show nights and that adds up as well, too.

- only tickets that were on sale were general admission $8. that is a HUGE discount compared to other high schools that do productions as large as "CATS."

- lighting took about one full week to program. We had to find the appropriate spotlights, adjust various lamps, and program it all into the computer.

- microphones were a HUGE hassle. We had, in all, about 16 microphones and 10 or so overhead mics. It took three weeks for me to get situated with the sound board and turn the mics on correctly without any mistakes during the whole show (I was the technical guy for the show).

- we built custom ramps for the cats to run up and down from the stage into the auditorium aisles through the orchestra pit. "CATS" is meant to be an interactive show, and we made it just that.

- we received an enormous amount of publicity from the press and local television stations. sure, you'd expect th publicity because it's a broadway show, but reporters and theater directors from all over the state and nation came in just to see our version of the show.

- all the cats' make-up took up four hours every show night to put on.

- we striked the set on our last show night right after the show. it took us 17 hours (non-stop) to completely tear it down and organize it in our woodshop.

- I personally hung Christmas lights ALL OVER the auditorium and stage for a special surprise during some songs. It looked so gorgeous when they were all lit on stage. But, what we put up had to come down: it took me about eight hours getting them set up and only one hour to tar them down.

- the Grizabella ascension chair (to the heaviside layer) took us about a full week to finish and practice using. We also had to spend a lot of time making sure it wouldn't collapse or fall while Grizbella was actually sitting in the chair. She had to be raised to the very top of the stage and stay there, quietly, until the entire show was done.

I love the Uccello's in Caledonia. Especially their late night deals. I think Im at that location every other weekend.

So you ended up not buying in Wildflower Creek eh? Caledonia is a pretty broad reaching address, where abouts are you going to be?

I looked at Wildflower Creek too as we liked the style of houses being built, however, that one house sat there by itself for so long. I see now though, that two more are being built.

There were some, umm, issues with the house in Wildflower Creek. Considering it's been on the market for 6+ months now, the builder was unwilling to negotiate on price...market's too soft to play that game. We made an offer on it the day after seeing it; methinks the builder thought we had our little hearts set on it. After a few rounds of negotiation I think he tried to call our bluff on our final offer...'cept we weren't bluffing. :dontknow: Also had a very negative experience with the realtor.

We're moving right next to the high school, by the corner of Johnson and Kraft.

PRCH is following me around, or maybe vice-versa, or most likely we have similar interests in DT events. Yesterday's parade: campaigning our respective causes: heavy metal music, and peace.

prchandmoi.jpg

(Souzie wears an ancient Celtic symbol for "ran out of wide green ribbon," which was remedied yesterday afternoon: all set for next year!)