The Watering Hole

Did anyone see the results of the GRBJ poll? On their front page...

Can you believe that most people who read the GRBJ want downtown to stay the exact same way that it is?

That can't bode to well to welcoming any urban growth...

I've always thought that one of the reasons that downtown never changes is because people don't want it to. It's very discouraging to see that the citizens of Grand Rapids want to see things stay the same. Wasn't this one of the reasons that the size of Icon was reduced. That's why I love the UPers; it's refreshing to see that there are so many interested in moving ahead!!!

Did anyone see the results of the GRBJ poll? On their front page...

Can you believe that most people who read the GRBJ want downtown to stay the exact same way that it is?

That can't bode to well to welcoming any urban growth...

actually the majority want growth, just what kind is what they differ on :shades:

this is a long shot but does anyone know of any big festivals that take place in Miami during may-jul??

Go to their local newspaper, chamber of comerce, or a website for any special interest group in which you participate. (E.g. bicycle clubs, square dancers, Civil War re-enactors, tuba players)

I have had decent luck pulling up old websites from previous year events. Just google on the time frame.

Miami in July...mmmm...

this is a long shot but does anyone know of any big festivals that take place in Miami during may-jul??

Yeah, the "Too Damn Hot to Go Outside until 11:00 PM Festival" lasts from May - September. Makes for great night life though.

If anyone is interested, Andy Guy of Rapid Growth Media has his own blog now called Great Lakes Guy. Check it out. Watch out Granholm, in several of those entries he comes out swinging! :thumbsup:

i posted something on the miami site and then realized that I was the first poster there in 3 days :tough: that will turn out to be a waste of my energies :)

Here's a related question(s) - Why is this such an active UP forum? I noticed that many other UP forums don't have nearly the action as this one. In my current community, there's some competition from a popular site/blog that focuses solely on development/redevelopment in the central city, but other than that there are nowhere near the number of participants, posts, threads, topics, etc. on my local UP site as I find here on the GR forum.

I have to admit I've met a few people from other parts of the country who noted that the natives of West Michigan they knew (and it wasn't always very many) were never at a loss of words, even if we pronounced some of them funny or called our soft drinks, "pop". Is that tendency to be "expressive" a coincidence or culture?

Here's a related question(s) - Why is this such an active UP forum? I noticed that many other UP forums don't have nearly the action as this one. In my current community, there's some competition from a popular site/blog that focuses solely on development/redevelopment in the central city, but other than that there are nowhere near the number of participants, posts, threads, topics, etc. on my local UP site as I find here on the GR forum.

I have to admit I've met a few people from other parts of the country who noted that the natives of West Michigan they knew (and it wasn't always very many) were never at a loss of words, even if we pronounced some of them funny or called our soft drinks, "pop". Is that tendency to be "expressive" a coincidence or culture?

That question gets asked a lot. In terms of "page views", the last time I saw stats in May 06, we were in the top 5 subforums on this site with something like 30,000 page views per month. We're also up to about 1600 separate topics with over 55,000 responses. Is it a cultural thing? I'm not so sure. I'm not even a native of West Michigan.

I think it has a lot to do with a dedicated group of us here constantly scouring the local media outlets for any kind of neighborhood or redevelopment news to keep people coming back. Because of that, several other sites have opened up that compliment this site and give us more to talk about, like Chris Knape's blog at the Press and RapidGrowthMedia. We also have a lot of people in the GR forum who contribute photos, and pictures speak a thousand words. I've noticed the most active subforums have active photographers involved (Providence, Charlotte, Greenville SC, Nashville).

We've also been mentioned in almost every media outlet in Grand Rapids now (several times in several of them) so that pushes more membership. We don't do any UrbanPlanet advertising in GR, so it's all word of mouth.

PBJ and I were commenting this weekend how bad the potholes are this year. They're AWFUL.

I have a good pothole story...(well *bad* story really...)

Last week after playing roller hockey @ Rivertown Sports (http://www.rivertownsports.com), I managed to get STUCK, yes STUCK in a pot hole in the parking lot. This thing was 8" deep and about 4' in circumference. I took 3 guys and me flooring the gas to escape its clutches. Worse part, the whole thing was filled water. I owe those 3 guys a beer, as they got a little wet. :whistling:

At least I know to avoid that section of the lot - maybe there should be a cone in it.