The Watering Hole

Has anyone had experience with subcontractors doing damage to personal property inside an apartment? Say your apartment management says there needs to be drywall and the subcontractor piles the stuff against the wall and it falls and breaks your personal property.

Edited by Rizzo

Has anyone had experience with subcontractors doing damage to personal property inside an apartment? Say your apartment management says there needs to be drywall and the subcontractor piles the stuff against the wall and it falls and breaks your personal property.

The property management should have required a certificate of insurance, proving that the sub had insurance. In the subs insurance should be coverage for property damage liability. That will cover what ever he/she broke that was yours.

Management served us a slip about a few weeks ago detailing that if something broke or was stolen none of the parties could be held responsible.

If I gave you a note saying that I'm not responsible for damages to your car and then I smashed the hell out of your car.. I think I'd still be responsible. Sounds like a legal issue more than an insurance issue. Where's Budgie?

Do you have the sub's contact info?

No, no, no, it was a load of crap for which I was humored... This is what it said, "We're going to install a spirkler system. It's going to take a total of six months. Yah, its going to be annoying and ruff having to deal with everyone in and out of your personal space (sorry you can't lock your door) -- we don't care. Now, if one of our guys breaks your crap or steals your laptop, well we don't care therefore -- yeah we don't care so we don't have to pay for it."

It wasn't anything of much value, but it got me annoyed. I'm not going to file any claims as I come from the old world where a an exchange of words gets the job done. I was more interested in anyone else's experience and how they resolved it.

Edited by Rizzo

How was the concert, Papa?

John Mayer has some pretty good songs.

He was great! He did a lot of guitar solos, which was cool. Unfortunately we were surrounded by a bunch of 40 somethings just standing around (guys who acted like they were dragged there by their wives).

We were all talking last night how sweet it would have been to ride light rail or streetcars to the concert. Especially with parking at $8.00 and gas back up to $2.49/gallon. :blink:

Downtown sure was super busy tonight and my favorite restaurant was packed! Thanks john mayer!

Heh heh. I was in the Friends, in the window overlooking RPC, when a couple kids burst in, demanded to know where the arena is. I provided exact pedestrian-oriented directions, citing landmarks ("see the the US flags, that's the B.O.B., it's on the opposite corner"). They made it sound like they wanted to move their car from wherever they'd left it. I said no, just walk, take you five minutes.

[when I get lost, I want to ask me for directions]

He was great! He did a lot of guitar solos, which was cool. Unfortunately we were surrounded by a bunch of 40 somethings just standing around (guys who acted like they were dragged there by their wives).

What a great show.. Gravity was by far a highlight. He busted out some old acoustic songs too. I'm glad I went. Pretty decent seats, eh Jeff? We we're in the same spot as you only on the other side of the arena.

What a great show.. Gravity was by far a highlight. He busted out some old acoustic songs too. I'm glad I went. Pretty decent seats, eh Jeff? We we're in the same spot as you only on the other side of the arena.

Yes, great seats! Section 123 at the closest end to the stage, and we were right in front of the entrance for the locker rooms (closed off last night) so there was no one behind us. As my wife said, "close enough to see the stage and the band, but not close enough to see John's strange facial expressions". :lol:

Yes, great seats! Section 123 at the closest end to the stage, and we were right in front of the entrance for the locker rooms (closed off last night) so there was no one behind us. As my wife said, "close enough to see the stage and the band, but not close enough to see John's strange facial expressions". :lol:

And MAN does he make some weird faces.. hahaa

Did anyone see the results of the GRBJ poll? On their front page...

What would you like to see happen to Grand Rapids' downtown?

1. Controlled, gradual growth that includes a mix of shopping, residential and commercial.

13 16.05%

2. Explosive growth with a heavy retail emphasis.

28 34.57%

3. Transformation into a vibrant commercial center without much more entertainment or retail.

5 6.17%

4. Stay the same as it is.

35 43.21%

Total Responses 81 100.00%

Can you believe that most people who read the GRBJ want downtown to stay the exact same way that it is?

That can't bode to well to welcoming any urban growth...