SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

Does anyone know what is happening at 1520 South Blvd, which used to be where Jack Mason's bar used to be? I walked past there this morning and saw workmen inside.

Then this evening, being nosey, I took down the permit number of 'B1617202'. The sign on the door says something about combining 2 1st floor units, but I wonder what they might be converted into. My vote is for some grocery/retail...but there is a CVS across the road and a small market has just opened up next to Einsteins Bagel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, k

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what is happening at 1520 South Blvd, which used to be where Jack Mason's bar used to be? I walked past there this morning and saw workmen inside.

Then this evening, being nosey, I took down the permit number of 'B1617202'. The sign on the door says something about combining 2 1st floor units, but I wonder what they might be converted into. My vote is for some grocery/retail...but there is a CVS across the road and a small market has just opened up next to Einsteins Bagel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, k

I dunno but the Laurel Market kicks ass.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, k

Extension of the Aveda Institute next door. Nothing too exciting, alas. A grocer in the area, like a Reid's or Talley's would be great but that area has such parking issues (not really issues overall, but for that kind of use people need to get in and out rather quickly) that I doubt it would be considered.

I meant to say that building, not that area :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this rendering for the project to be built on Park Avenue in SouthEnd. This is the one The Business Journal mentioned a week or two ago that will be built on part of the block behind Price's on Camden. The building faces the city and each unit is to have large balconies. There are 36 or 40 units. They are supposedly going to be actively on the market next week or the next.

post-9752-1156365675_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1156365675_thumb.jpg

The Hanover Company just bought the Ferguson warehouse on W. Tremont Ave last week. This is where they will be building an 11 story 300+ unit apartment tower. It's good to see the project moving forward.....it will help tremendously to spur the conversion of W. Tremont and Hawkins streets from industrail to transit supportive uses.

I believe it will have to be...though it is a large site, it takes up the prime frontage on Tremont......I don't think it would be structurally sound enough or financially feasible to build on top of the existing building, which is fine by me, because I'm not particularly fond of the building.

That is pretty small. It seems smaller than the current space at Atherton. Are they getting kicked out of Atherton?

The Summit/Camden/Tryon intersection, though, is shaping up to be a very interesting spot in the city.

It is small. They had drawings at a meeting recently for SouthEnd folks, CATS, and developers in the area. The Trolley Museum will not be large. It is going to be adjacent to the Art League building. There will be an open area with plantings, benches, and set ups for events between the Trolley thing and Boulevard Company's project at Camden and Tryon. This will all lead to a platform for the light rail and trolley at Renssalear Station -- I loved the renderings, they made Boulevard Co put a wall along its parking area that will have mosaics, portions for changing art, and it is a fairly long platform. This will lead to a mini greenway from South Blvd and all of it will be beside and adjacent to "C".

Camden is going to be HOT.

The Boulevard Company project you referring to is the yet to be built ~5 story residential building where the parking lot currently is, correct? It seems like its going to be awfully tight through there to get a "plaza", the trolley museum and a new mid rise in betwen Art League and the Fowler building, but maybe there is more room than I remember.

None the less, I agree with Dubone, it will be a pretty busy intersection.....now if that suburban office building (maybe a printing business?) would just relocate that is at the SW corner of Summt and Tryon.

The Boulevard Company project you referring to is the yet to be built ~5 story residential building where the parking lot currently is, correct? It seems like its going to be awfully tight through there to get a "plaza", the trolley museum and a new mid rise in betwen Art League and the Fowler building, but maybe there is more room than I remember.

None the less, I agree with Dubone, it will be a pretty busy intersection.....now if that suburban office building (maybe a printing business?) would just relocate that is at the SW corner of Summt and Tryon.

It is tight, if you go down there it is the open area between the Art League and the Boulevard Co parking lot -- but it will lead to a large platform and another walkway to South...overall it will be a great connector for Camden, Light Rail, "C", South Blvd, Tryon...

The Hanover Company just bought the Ferguson warehouse on W. Tremont Ave last week. This is where they will be building an 11 story 300+ unit apartment tower. It's good to see the project moving forward.....it will help tremendously to spur the conversion of W. Tremont and Hawkins streets from industrail to transit supportive uses.

Is this building going to be on Camden right there across the street from Pikes?

Yep....right across Tremont from Pikes.....maybe Pike's will extend their hours once this and a couple of other project are completed.

In today's print Charlotte Business Journal, The Tremont was mentioned as including a coffee shop and Dilworth Clocks will move in (since their existing location is getting demolished for this project). It stated that it will begin construction in December. It also mentioned that there will be a second phase of similar scope......does anybody know more about this, like where it will be located? Perhaps adjacent to the east on the same blok (corner of Tremont and Euclid) where there are some small brick houses and the old apartment building?

Yep....right across Tremont from Pikes.....maybe Pike's will extend their hours once this and a couple of other project are completed.

In today's print Charlotte Business Journal, The Tremont was mentioned as including a coffee shop and Dilworth Clocks will move in (since their existing location is getting demolished for this project). It stated that it will begin construction in December. It also mentioned that there will be a second phase of similar scope......does anybody know more about this, like where it will be located? Perhaps adjacent to the east on the same blok (corner of Tremont and Euclid) where there are some small brick houses and the old apartment building?

The apartment building on the corner of Euclid and Tremont will no "go" but the homes between the current Tremont site and those apartments will. I think there are two houses there and a vacant lot.

Archived