SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

I think this is one of the best planned development yet as far in the South Corridor. It has generous street level retail along South Blvd., good massing, HUGE density, and what I consider a very appropriate buffer. If every parcel along the east side of South was planned this way, then I think we would have a model of how a city can offer all types of living, and be dense enough to support transit, yet still allow people wanting single family homes to live close in.

EDIT. In my opinion, the quality of urban design in most infill projects has really increased over the last several months. I wonder if this is because developers are now "getting it", or if city planners are leaning harder on them and requiring conditional rezonings with great detail. Regardless, I'm very excited with the trend I see.

Recent good examples outside of Uptown are.

This project

Grubb's upcoming Whole Foods

Morningside

Conformity Corp's Southborough (the condos wrapping the South End Lowe's)

The Tremont

Park Avenue

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, great project. The developer and the city are making a point of talking about how the project relates to the neighborhood behind it and the "stepping down" of the condos and building height. I think that attention really makes the project work well.

In a few years, South Blvd will have a corridor-like effect leading into downtown.

In a few years, South Blvd will have a corridor-like effect leading into downtown.

I would love to see this happen to Independence. Look at the vast amount of land lined with huge parking lots and ugly strip centers. Great to see it happen here, South Blvd just a few years back was so unattractive. For all the grief Gross gets about The Pink Building, that and Factory South and Meca Projects have really changed this corridor.

Someone with vision and money -- BUY INDEPENDENCE!

Yet another new project in the district. TOD is really gearing up!!

[url=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/columnists/doug_smith/15617230.htm]

This looks to be a nice project that will serve as something of a gateway project into SouthEnd from the south. I can somewhat understand how the neighbors would be a little concerned about the height, but I still think it would go through. I think this can only help this section of Dilworth, which appears to be the more modest section of the neighborhood.

Now if a complimentary project could go on the other side of South Blvd (at Remount, northwest corner), that would REALLY make an impact. That side is more industrial and closer to the "projects," so I'm not sure how that would go over.

This looks to be a nice project that will serve as something of a gateway project into SouthEnd from the south. I can somewhat understand how the neighbors would be a little concerned about the height, but I still think it would go through. I think this can only help this section of Dilworth, which appears to be the more modest section of the neighborhood.

Now if a complimentary project could go on the other side of South Blvd (at Remount, northwest corner), that would REALLY make an impact. That side is more industrial and closer to the "projects," so I'm not sure how that would go over.

I cannot wait for these condos! As the closest person (directly across Ideal from it) I am VERY excited! I will be at the meeting on the 18th to voice my support.

Anyone know when/ where the Dilworth Community Development Association meets?

I cannot wait for these condos! As the closest person (directly across Ideal from it) I am VERY excited! I will be at the meeting on the 18th to voice my support.

Anyone know when/ where the Dilworth Community Development Association meets?

Yep, in just a few days...first wednesday of every month at the First Christian Church on East (at the corner of Dilworth Rd East)....7:30pm.

Express your opinions, please! Everyone from the southern end of Dilworth is always there complaining about every new project. It would be nice to get some positive feedback.

Since you live in the neighborhood, what's up with that huge two-story house being completed on Ideal Way that's very much out of proportion with the surrounding houses?

The land prices are so high around here that people are trying to build fast and cash in.

That parcel of land is at an awkward angle to begin with. It would look alot better if they built the house deeper on the lot instead of using the existing foundation.

:(

I am very excited that the boarding house is getting torn down. I am sick of the junkies who live there shooting up in the bushes next door to my house.

Yep, in just a few days...first wednesday of every month at the First Christian Church on East (at the corner of Dilworth Rd East)....7:30pm.

Express your opinions, please! Everyone from the southern end of Dilworth is always there complaining about every new project. It would be nice to get some positive feedback.

I will be there!

Here is a rendering of a new "office condo" building going up on the north side of Tremont just west of Hawkins. The building will be ~30,000 sq. ft., with the ground floor marketed to both office and retail tenants.

Tremont%20Elevation.jpg

I believe the one-story industrial building that was at the site has already been demolished and cleared.

I can believe it, at least for Ideal Way between Park and South Blvd, which has a different feel than Ideal Way on the other side of Park.

The whole area south of Tremont and Park (the part that leads to Kenilworth/Scott past Bi-Lo) was never part of the original Dilworth Plats. Much of that area was developed to house the workers at the mills along South Boulevard. Others were just built as small family homes at the time. Original Dilworth was FAR smaller than it is today -- most of the blocks around Freedom Park weren't really "Dilworth" either -- I live other there in what everyone considers Dilworth but the legal description of my home says I live in East Boulevard Subdivision!

If you drive up and down Ideal Way and look at the porch configuration of many of the homes you will see common trends and with at least 2 floorplan elevations they are identical unless changed over the years. There are dozens and dozens of the type with the small porch with the door not facing the street but facing to the side.

Does anyone know if Heath Partners is planning on building the commercial/residential building at their 3030 South project? This would go right at the northeast corner of the site where the sales trailer currently is. It was part of the original plan, but I've since heard conflicting reports as to whether the project is now complete, or if this final building is still planned.

Also, in related Heath Partners news, they are planning a 5-story building at the southwest corner of Worthington and Cleveland in Dilworth/South End (directly behing Club Tan)......this is a key site, that I've longed for development, as it is a parking lot/repair and storage yard. There is a rezoning petition filed for this site (LINK). I'm thinking that DCDA might scream at 5 stories (~ 60') at this location, but my guess is the city will approve it since it is within 1 block of South.

Also, in related Heath Partners news, they are planning a 5-story building at the southwest corner of Worthington and Cleveland in Dilworth/South End (directly behing Club Tan)......this is a key site, that I've longed for development, as it is a parking lot/repair and storage yard. There is a rezoning petition filed for this site (LINK). I'm thinking that DCDA might scream at 5 stories (~ 60') at this location, but my guess is the city will approve it since it is within 1 block of South.

That is phenominal news. That is one of the last really ugly lots in the area and the perfect spot for this type of development...now if only they would add Club Tan site to the plans...

I havn't heard much talk about the project that Boulevard wants to do on S Church at Bland St. They want to put in 140 townhomes on 7 acres of land. Roughly a density of 20 units/acre. This strikes me as being a little low on density for being so close to downtown. Here is an aerial view of the site shaded in purple.

blvdchurchsite.jpg

What also concerns me is that they want to put the garage entrances on the front of the building, instead of having an alley behind them. To me that is a big design "no no" if you are building in an urban environment.

blvdchurch.jpg

This project goes up for rezoning public hearing next week. Curious to know what other peoples thoughts are on this project.

Ditto the previous comment. Charlotte needs to be wary. Today's mass-constructed "townhomes" could be the equivalent of the large 1970s era apartments rotting in our inner-ring suburbs. The ownership society vision (the policy to move people from rental to ownership in order to give them a stake in society) is dependent upon a large stock of affordable owner property. The southend project might be too pricey today, but those being built throughout Charlotte might come back to haunt us in the future.

You think this is a big project, Beazer bought 20 or so acres across from the Stadium and though they may have some mid-rise mixed in they likely will be building bunches of the townhomes similar to Lela Courts. They did design those without front load garages, but the quality will be interesting to watch as it ages.

Has anyone seen an plan for the "C" project yet? I have seen a few "fuzzy" simple artist renderings from an ariel type view but thats it.

Anyone know when they plan to start the project... I thought it was supposed to be months ago. With no renderings and no activity you gotta wonder if this project is having problems getting off the ground?

Has anyone seen an plan for the "C" project yet? I have seen a few "fuzzy" simple artist renderings from an ariel type view but thats it.

Anyone know when they plan to start the project... I thought it was supposed to be months ago. With no renderings and no activity you gotta wonder if this project is having problems getting off the ground?

Great Question smuggest! I am really waitng on something to start happening on this godforsaken brownfield. I have heard Earth would start moving as early as the end of this year. Perhaps that might not be true anymore, but I would really like to see some action on this HUGE eyesore of a lot.

A2

BTW, Welcome To UP !!! :)

Archived