SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got an e-mail today from Crescent regarding C and it just said that they were still working on the design and hope to have something soon.

Awesome ! It is good to know that this one is still on track. Thanks for the Update UL.

A2

There is a front page article in next week's CBJ about a new project across South Blvd from Lowes. It is 300 residential units on 4 acres. I just hope they don't close the option for connecting Iverson across the tracks, as that is the eventual goal for creating connectivity, and opening up that section on the west side of the tracks for redev.

The project is called The Reserve at South End.

Just to add to dubones post they expect this to be about 5 stories tall.

Here are some pics of a similar project they did recently in Illinois.

60791A.jpg

60791V.jpg

Charlotte City Council will most likely vote in favor of this project next week. The developer says they are targeting a Summer 2007 construction start date.

The transformation along South Blvd in the next 3 years will impressive.

Stop and think about every announcement that's been made, and mentally picture how many abandonded and low-rent buildings from Iverson to 3030 South are going to be replaced. (And oh yeah - the Scaleybark revelopment too.)

I just looked at a zoning map, and I didn't realize that all of the Atherton Mill complex is UMUD and would allow unlimited height.....certainly a 40 story condo tower is a better use for the old Cotton St. Diner than the American Community Bank :)

I just looked at a zoning map, and I didn't realize that all of the Atherton Mill complex is UMUD and would allow unlimited height.....certainly a 40 story condo tower is a better use for the old Cotton St. Diner than the American Community Bank :)

Are you hinting at something atlrvr? :)

In a year or two you will see much new there -- just what you are asking for from what I've been told!

Atlantic Realty Partners is the developer.

It is 2200 South Blvd, which has the following on it:

P8104330.JPG

P8104229.JPG

I can't think of anyone that will cry when these disappear!

Are you hinting at something atlrvr? :)

Haha....no no....I was just noticing....though if I noticed, I'm sure some developers have.....it wouldn't surprise me if some of the less historic parts of that complex are redeveloped to a much higher density....as far as high-rises....maybe, but not for a while.....

EDIT - After reading Char_Nat's response, maybe sooner than I suspected......there aren't many UMUD parcels in South End, so who knows who will take advantage of the opportunity to go high.

EDIT - After reading Char_Nat's response, maybe sooner than I suspected......there aren't many UMUD parcels in South End, so who knows who will take advantage of the opportunity to go high.

The owners, and others, are well aware of how beneficial that particular zoning is for all factors, but especially height restrictions (or lack thereof). The time-table I was told is a least a couple of years out. I think there is more UMUD land closer in, in SouthEnd, they mentioned also but I wasn't told the exact location. They just talked about the site of and around Atherton and "another one nearby" that was zoned UMUD at the same time. Mostly they are waiting for the light-rail to be completed and a couple of the nearby projects to be done and sold.

They key UMUD piece that I'm sure will go high rise is the corner of Camden and Worthington....it's currently a surface lot.....I don't know of specific plans, but have heard that many interested parties want to see that to full potential.

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a lot of "for lease" space that has come on line just in this last year going down S Blvd.? I have noticed this increasing, which is kind of wierd. I would have thought that space would have been becoming increasingly tight with Light Rail running right by most of these office and retail spaces.

I saw that the Floor Store has left, and further down it gets even worse.

Is this a case where rents are rising and the current tenents are seeking cheaper space, or is it simply a sign of a struggling market ?

Any clues???

A2

The vacant buildings remind me of what we saw in NODA two years ago. Rents rose too high for existing tenants, in anticipation that the area was "the next big thing". So many vacancies appeared, the area appeared as if it was struggling, instead of "hot".

In my opinion, the housing prices in the neighborhoods near the light rail are behaving similarly... rising as if the rail is there already. Dumpy ranchers south of Poindexter are pressing near 300K now. (I have seen some people price too aggressively, and end up withdrawing their listings.) In my mind those are still "Dilworth Prices" and people are already trying it east of the Scaleybark station.

Archived