SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.....worse than Rock Hill....fine....I said it!

The real problem with this...and lots of other infill projects IMO, is that these are just facades in the truest sense of the word, and not separate buildings. I would like developers to start building REAL zero-lot-line buildings, that allow the owners to do exterior alterations, etc....that is how a place gains character over time.

I understand that developers don't think there is a market for this, and that they don't think anyone would pay a premium to have control over their exterior and land (and be responsible for its upkeep), but I would be much more inclined to buy a residential property that was a zero-lot-line single-family townhouse, rather than a "condoized" townhouse, which is what everything in Charlotte is....I'm sure that at least some business owners would agree.

Please someone tell me I am looking at this wrong. Maybe they are not finished painting it :( . If this is the final project than I have a new winner in Southend as ugliest bldg. This will easily replace the Pink Bldg in terms of its shear ugliness.

What a piece of $%#% :sick: !!!!

A2

Does anyone else have Radiohead's "Fake plastic Trees" in there head after seeing this?

The colors don't really bother me, even the purple. It's the extremely cheap look of the place that gets me. I think calling it "Disney" was a bit generous. It looks like a strong wind could blow that styrofoam place away. I'm sure this building will be pretty rough looking in a decade. Then of course it will be considered prime teardown for a better development (as long as the rest of SouthEnd doesn't get built out like this simply creating a future ghetto). The problem with that is thinking about all of the environmental damage this building caused. In the manufacturing of its materials, to shipping them, the emissions during all of that and construction. Then again when later it's demolished and a new building is put up in its place. We can't always be totally green, but we can at least do it right the first time, use sustainable materials and build something with longevity. How much of this building will be in a landfill in 15 years not decomposing?

Come on you guys - get over it. Seems some of you almost think we should throw up our hands, give up on South End, and start over somewhere else without any buildings like this.

So it looks cheap.

This building won't stick out like a sore thumb; to the contrary, it will fade into the woodwork, and in the end, it will just be another part of the urban streetscape. Even lots of historic downtowns have plenty of cement-block, no-frills, cheaply constructed and flimsy looking buildings. As South End fills in more and more, this will become totally a non issue.

Oh, it will look less offensive once the awnings and signage are installed, too.

I totally had a different perception of Boulevard Co. This is downright scary. If they screw up the Fowler Building, I will be very upset. I also know they haven't put up the facade yet on townhouses uptown on Church, so they really need to do that right, as it is fairly prominent. At least it is brick, so it is harder to screw up.

I agree with the calls to ban EIFS! What is wrong with using quality materials? We are trying to build back a decimated part of the city, and stucco is not the way to do it. Fake stucco is for rocks in the zoo and for Disneyworld. That is it. TOD, UMUD, and MUDD should ban the material, at least on anything in the first 5 stories, where it is visible.

I'm glad the neighbors are gearing for a fight. Those seven acres should not getting that type of development. They should be rebuilding the grid, and building a solid development.

What is wrong with Chris Branch? He has lost his mind. Surely there are other ways to cut costs. In fact, why not just put old-skool wood siding on to cut costs? They have wood imbregnated with sodium silicate (aka glass) that won't rot. Just throw some of that up with some nails and call it a day. It would look a hell of a lot more genuine than the stucco fakery he is doing here.

What sucks is this the fact that this will age horribly, and never be a permanent staple for the area. But maybe that is the intention. Build something cheap to spur development, then 10 years down the road when they decide to tear it down to build something bigger, it won't be that much of a loss. I mean seriously, this is a tiny strip that will do a lot for the area. Sure it looks a little... umm.... theme park shopping strip... It is atleast nice to see development shooting off in that direction. It is better than what was there.

If you look in the MLS, Heath Partners is listing photos of their remaining units with the train in the foreground. I guess to really drive home the point of LRT availability...

I do get the impression their final phase isn't selling as quickly though. Hey, who can pass up a great view of the Citgo station? :blush:

post-4915-1162357750_thumb.jpg

post-4915-1162357750_thumb.jpg

I really like the renderings of Poindexter Village in this mornings Observer. This project is going to transform that area of South near Remount Rd. I am glad that FMK Architects was selected ....they have done some quality projects in the past.

Archived