SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

It is actually kind of cool that the TOD cap is ~10 stories. That means we should get a heck of a lot more 10 story buildings.

I agree with the comments about connecting Iverson to Dunavant. Not only with that intersection get a light, and the alignment is perfect for making a grid through there, but the original SouthEnd plan had them seeking to connect Meecham across the tracks. Meecham will be abandoned for the Lowes. So Iverson is a perfect alternative (frankly, better than Meecham ever was).

There is also a plan by the HHHunt and Citiline developers to extend Poindexter to Youngblood. They are still working issues out with the CDOT on that, but I think it will be great for building an Ideal/Remount/South center of activity. All we need to cap off the area as a perfect spot is an Iverson/Remount LRT station to be developed through private financing.

If this area takes off, I can really see the city tapping the private sector for rebuilding South Side Homes, and the Brookhill development on Remount. Actually, apparently those small places north of Remount are privately owned. It seems then that that could be a great redevelopment project, considering it such a large site.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually wish that the TOD zoning code was written to require a % retail on buildings over certain sizes like UMUD is. Still, I think that most of these will have some retail because ground floor apartments in urban areas typically rent at a discount.

I'm glad the Hanover project is located on the west side of the LRT line, as hopefully it will add momentum to that currently industrial and slightly sketchy area.

There are a couple of other rezonings going on within a block of this project (1 on Tremont and 1 on Hawkins) that will allow for additional midrises, most likely in the 5-6 story range.

I actually wish that the TOD zoning code was written to require a % retail on buildings over certain sizes like UMUD is. Still, I think that most of these will have some retail because ground floor apartments in urban areas typically rent at a discount.
The other possibility is unfortunately common - having the ground floor entirely dedicated to parking. I'd much rather see retail and parking on the ground floor, than just parking. I would think it would make the residential units in the building much more attractive as well...

• 3 weeks later...

There was a backhoe at the C site today. Also some Duke power trucks so maybe it was just utility work, but its a start. It will be great to have that mini wasteland gone. For some reason it looks like there should be a cactus growing in the middle of it with some tumbleweeds going by...

I see them doing some twin towers along the line, but probably under 20 stories.....there's not a lot of sites that will allow more than 11 stories by right after the TOD rezonings, so they will have to be fairly conservative with what the proposed, or build on existing UMUD parcels around Morehead or S. Church.

• 3 weeks later...

I see them doing some twin towers along the line, but probably under 20 stories.....there's not a lot of sites that will allow more than 11 stories by right after the TOD rezonings, so they will have to be fairly conservative with what the proposed, or build on existing UMUD parcels around Morehead or S. Church.

A sign went up in Dilworth at the corner of Tremont and Cleveland -- a new project, The Tremont. Found the website from the sales company, www.TremontCharlotte.com. Looks like projects around the light rail hubs are coming out quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Cooperdawg was referring to the site across South....next to Mac's, but I believe that might be scrapped because it is too close to single family residential for it to get the height allowance needed under TOD.

Oh I didn't know the cleaners was on the west side of South. There are so many planned projects for that area it is hard to keep up.

Yea, That corner is about 150 feet from my house on Ideal. I wish someone would build some condos next to Mac's so that rich people would start complaining about the nosie that crappy bar makes. The city doesn't listen to poor people's complaints about it. :angry:

I will go take some pictures of the demolition before it gets too dark.

Archived