Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HRI has a strong track reckord of success. They are also involved with the renovation/restoration of the King Edward Hotel in Jackson, Mississippi. They typically do all of their homework before plunging into a project. I wouldn't be too worried. It will be done in time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been reported that work is picking up nicely at the site.

This was reported by Ryan on Richmond City Watch, but since I am unable to post there, I'll put it here.

Ryan says demolision is going ahead on the piece of Woolworth's that remains, but does anybody know why it was left when they demolished the building?

• 3 months later...

Work has been occurring for a while on this project, but just a head's up.

The following info is for a permit for heavy remodeling which is pending approval. It was submitted yesterday.

Applied For: 4/5/2007

Issued:

Applicant: The Whiting-Turner Contracting

Parcel Owner: Miller & Rhoads Building Llc

Permit Address: 501 E Broad St

Richmond, VA 23219

Map Ref. Number: W0000016013 [Parcel Details]

Type Of Work: Alter. - Heavy Remodeling

Cost Of Work: $25,061,000.00

Work has been occurring for a while on this project, but just a head's up.

The following info is for a permit for heavy remodeling which is pending approval. It was submitted yesterday.

Applied For: 4/5/2007

Issued:

Applicant: The Whiting-Turner Contracting

Parcel Owner: Miller & Rhoads Building Llc

Permit Address: 501 E Broad St

Richmond, VA 23219

Map Ref. Number: W0000016013 [Parcel Details]

Type Of Work: Alter. - Heavy Remodeling

Cost Of Work: $25,061,000.00

Maybe Ryan, in his new position with Community Development, can help speed the permit application through. :dunno:

Thanks for the head's up... I wonder if this is still on track for a late 2008 opening?

I hope their neighbor across the street, Richmond CenterStage, is on track to start construction in June and open with a splash in fall of 2009. By that time, M&R Hilton (or whatever) will be up and running.

Seems to me I saw a recent comment from the acting city manager, Mr. Black, that the city would not be happy with a "downgraded" Hilton brand. I think it's in the contracts that a hotel on the site must be at least of 3-star quality.

• 1 month later...

This should be finished by November 2008.

A few details on the Miller and Rhoads project

Originally planned as a full-service flagship Hilton, the old Miller & Rhoads will instead become a Hilton Garden Inn, a smaller, second-tier sub-brand, Silverman says.

He says it will be an urban hotel with more bells and whistles than a typical Garden Inn. Among the differences, he notes, is the in-house restaurant, the Great American Grill (where most entrees are under $10), which will be larger....

The hotel, he notes, will also include about 25,000 square feet of retail shops on the ground floor, facing Broad Street.

--From a Style article about minority contracts for the project.

I can't help but think that the downgrade (despite Silverman's protestations that is is not a downgrade) will affect sales of condos in the building. On the other hand, maybe the units will be priced to attract in-city workers rather than wealthy retirees, etc. And frankly, that could be a good thing.

• 1 month later...

I can't help but think that the downgrade (despite Silverman's protestations that is is not a downgrade) will affect sales of condos in the building. On the other hand, maybe the units will be priced to attract in-city workers rather than wealthy retirees, etc. And frankly, that could be a good thing.

I am going to contact the developer to answer that question for you. I will also get out on the roof of berry burk to get some shots of the construction that is ongoing. I think there is a penthouse going on top... but it also might just be steel construction for the air handlers... just not sure but maybe with you guys input we can figure it out. Demo work has produced tons of debris which has been hauled off pretty regularly. The portion of the building that was the newest along broad has been demoed to make way for the courtyard eventually. A lot of the wood panels covering the windows have been taken down and there are lights on at night inside the building... looks like a full-fledged construction zone. Oh, and they have officially closed off 6th St between Grace and Broad.. I am assuming for not only M & R but also for Richmond Center Stage construction would should be going here shortly.

I am going to contact the developer to answer that question for you. I will also get out on the roof of berry burk to get some shots of the construction that is ongoing. I think there is a penthouse going on top... but it also might just be steel construction for the air handlers... just not sure but maybe with you guys input we can figure it out. Demo work has produced tons of debris which has been hauled off pretty regularly. The portion of the building that was the newest along broad has been demoed to make way for the courtyard eventually. A lot of the wood panels covering the windows have been taken down and there are lights on at night inside the building... looks like a full-fledged construction zone. Oh, and they have officially closed off 6th St between Grace and Broad.. I am assuming for not only M & R but also for Richmond Center Stage construction would should be going here shortly.

That roof on the top is covering the "atrium" that was formed when they took out the center of the building ground to roof. Not sure if the steel roof is the final design, or if it is a temp until the finish major demo and construction, then replace it with glass. It is a full fledge construction project now...the "bees" are hard at work.

Ryan Ramsey says that when completed, the Grace/5th/6th street facade of M&R will look like the present first four floors; i.e., the large windows will continue to the roof and will look like a unified building. That's terrific news, in Cam's and my opinion.

Guy, will there be one or two atriums -- one each in the two distinct buildings, or only one in the Grace Street section near where the elevators were?

Archived