Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bloody likely. :(

Very blood likely! Downtowns population's going up. Crime is down about 40% from this time last year. And crime somehow in the counties are up from last year so Richmond is doing great. And will get the stuff the counties are getting.

I didn't say they had.

But you know a Macy's downtown wouldn't fit on one floor. My point is after all the old commercials buildings on Broad are filled with condos with little places below, they'd probably would be forced to West Broad like in the old Sears building. Oooh close enough to downtown... oh that counts! Yeah downtown will get retail... small stores.. and then everyone will be happy.

Nor will the storefronts become condos...

What building would Macy's possibly convert to a store on Broad Street, even if they weren't converted to condos/apartments already besides Miller & Rhoads? IMO, there isn't one large enough for Macy's to even consider (even if it was empty).

There are empty parcels around that may not have a Broad St address yet they could support a newly built Macy's if they somehow ever decided to go downtown. The Thalhimer's block is the only one I can think of on Broad st that would have a legitimate chance at being considered.

Tell Macy's to build a store there, anchoring a fresh face of new smaller retailers lining Grace and Broad for a couple blocks.

Well for those who do not think that a department store will come Downtown, those individuals will do nothing but whine and complain. Even it does happen, they will find something else to whine about.

For those who have faith that a department store will come Downtown, those individuals will make it happen.

Personally, I think it will be a long while before we see a dept. store coming downtown... and trust me I won't be whining or complaining about it. I'm just being realistic. Do I want more retail like that downtown? Definitely. Do I think other things need to happen before we'll see something like that? Yes.

I could see a Nordstroms go downtown. They tend to have free standing department stores in downtowns.

I have seen many other department stores with free standing Downtown stores. (i.e. Hecht's in Downtown DC).

Maybe Stephen would have more insight into it, but I'm not sure Nordstrom would put 2 stores in our market... at least for now.
Richmond is one of the smaller markets Nordstrom operates in outside its core Northwest home area. Unless they try something different that they usually do, there will be only one Nordstrom in Richmond.

Well for those who do not think that a department store will come Downtown, those individuals will do nothing but whine and complain. Even it does happen, they will find something else to whine about.

For those who have faith that a department store will come Downtown, those individuals will make it happen.

With your almighty powers, make it happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a department store & supporting stores downtown could have worked pre-SPTC/SPFP. If somehow the city had lured nordsrtom, saks, crate&barrell, pottery barn, or any other major retailers that had yet to enter the Richmond market, you'd better believe suburbanites would have hopped in their SUVs and made a trip downtown. Right now, the city cannot support a department store with local residents alone, so any successful department store would have to reach out to suburban shoppers. Unfortunately, with the advent of SPFC, SPTC, and soon (ugh) the Watkins Centre, the city will be hard-pressed to find a store that will lure suburbanites to the city to shop. Even a third upscale department store like Bloomingdales would probably not attract enough suburbanites to sustatain itself since the much closer department stores are so much more convenient. If only someone had had the foresight to squeeze SPTC into a downtown location . . . but hey who says we need a department store? I think the Broad Street area around the Hilton could more likely see a Georgetownesque development -- maybe the stores won't be so upscale (at first :) ), but the city could definitely support a cluster of small retailers once people move into these new condos.

Unfortunately, with the advent of SPFC, SPTC, and soon (ugh) the Watkins Centre, the city will be hard-pressed to find a store that will lure suburbanites to the city to shop.

I still think an Ikea would be a big draw and if Circuit City had the vision to build a flagship store downtown along the lines of Toys R Us in Times Square, I think that would work as well.

I have been impressed lately looking at Greenville, S. C. on UP's Southern Pictures thread. They have done wonders in turning around their downtown.

Ryan Ramsey has just released new pictures on RCW that he has taken of Richmond's East Grace Street. Cadeho has done the same on this forum. It is such a desolate stretch in its present condition. But it has such potential! Many of the buildings between 1st and 6th streets are (or would be with some TLC) pleasing to the eye.

Perhaps a large garage behind the existing facades between 4th and 5th on Grace extending to the corresponding, now leveled block, on Broad could contain street level destination-type shops with validated parking for shoppers on four or five upper floors.

The row of shop spaces across Grace from the M&R Hilton is exceptionally pleasing and should be occupied by upscale, unique retailers.

It should be noted that someone claims to be converting the row houses on the south side of Grace between 2nd and 3rd to luxury apartments. Let's hope the ugly store fronts are removed and Valentino's is demolished. The erstwhile but ugly sandwich shop could move from the 3rd street corner, with the help of a tasteful designer, into one of the empty stores, or perhaps, to a revitalized Broad/Grace Arcade across the street in Mr. Jemal's CNB complex.

The bank at 4th street (formerly Caffeine's) is a night club and the exterior is, I hope, properly maintained. The house next door used to be known as The Honey Shop and its attached store front is attractive.

Most of the buildings across from The Times Dispatch are in disrepair, though Godfreys Bar adds some life and diversity.

The stretch between 2nd and Foushee has seen improvement and is not in dire need of salvation.

Unique, upscale and maybe even daring retail and businesses would be welcome additions to the area (and we haven't even touched on Broad street yet :rolleyes:) .

How about a vertical Bloomingdale's on Grace between 6th and 7th with lower level parking connecting to the old Richmond Garage? And a continuation of neat shops down 6th street to Centennial Tower at Main?

There's a story dated 7/12 on Ric dot com titled "City to help certain groups submit work proposals for Hilton Hotel".

The last line of the articles says "construction to begin in summer of 2007....".

2007? I thought work was already underway. :dontknow:

Archived