Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the best things they can do is recreate the Tea Room.

Recently, the State Library hosted several rememberances of Millan Rhoads, including paying homage to the Sara Sue hat lady and offering samples of goodies from old Tea Room menus. A friend of mine went to the hat presentation where ladies were loaned Sara Sue hats to wear during the luncheon and speeches. It was so successful that several repeat sessions had to be presented.

I think there were other M&R themed luncheons throughout the week one of which consisted of surviving models from the Tea Room relating their experiences while parading down the runways.

OK, Coupe. Guess I'm in debt to you for a quarter. :cry:

PS: I like the added floors on the Grace Street side. Do you guys who want to lop off floors take Economics into consideration? Witout that space, the project would not be viable.

The renderings, IMHO, do not make the hotel/condo look like a thing of beauty. I especially don't like those heavy brown earth colors. I wish they could continue the light colored brick fascade of Grace/5th across what now looks like the back side of the building (you can see a portion of the original wrapping around the upper floors).

Speaking of economics, the 2 mega department stores held on longer than most of their former neighbors before giving up the ghost. Nobody can maintain an operation that plays to empty houses and theivery. Lots of merchandise was removed from those stores which did not clear cash registers in the days prior to surrender.

PS: I like the added floors on the Grace Street side. Do you guys who want to lop off floors take Economics into consideration? Witout that space, the project would not be viable.

The renderings, IMHO, do not make the hotel/condo look like a thing of beauty. I especially don't like those heavy brown earth colors. I wish they could continue the light colored brick fascade of Grace/5th across what now looks like the back side of the building (you can see a portion of the original wrapping around the upper floors).

Speaking of economics, the 2 mega department stores held on longer than most of their former neighbors before giving up the ghost. Nobody can maintain an operation that plays to empty houses and theivery. Lots of merchandise was removed from those stores which did not clear cash registers in the days prior to surrender.

I coud take or leave the added floors, but I have to say the cornice they had prior was really nice, and I wouldn't mind seeing it put back on the building.

I see what you're saying about the earth tones and the latter-day theft from the downtown stores. The dark colors make the alterations look kind of dour and I'd imagine they lost a lot of stuff in the later days when Downtown was in rough economic shape.

I know they're on the Grace St side, but they can at least reconstruct them to match the rest of the building.

And I agree they need to spruce up somehow the colors of the back... and the cornice rocked.

But for the little 1880s building, I wish they'd restore it to its 1880s look than the 1920s or 30s renovation that turned it into an Art Deco building.

As for 1880's vs. Art Deco, I think a solution could be found within which the Art Dceo elements were preserved. I couldn't agree more about the dour brown color. How did they arrive at that anyway? In any event, it's great to see that this is actually happening. As previous posters have noted, it would be good to see the buildings treated respectfully and blended into a graceful unit.

I'm pretty sure many of these suggested major alterations can't be done because of its historic landmark status (or whatever it is)...

In this case, I'll take the function over the asthetics...

I'm sure the ugly brown color is not required by landmark status. At present (and thru my memory) the rear and higher portions of the Grace Street structure have been natural brick. Unmistakably, one would assume it was the back of a building, not a street facade. What landmark decision could possibly dictate the status quo? Continuing the light-colored design of Grace/5th to cover the exposed brick would be a vast improvement, IMO. For crying out loud, the rendering even has portions of sidewalk at 5th and Broad colored in that depressing earth shade!

I like, and always have liked, the art deco design of the Broad and 6th facades eventhough the long windows are highlighted with (yes) brown.

I also liked the cornice, but I seriously believe new laws would preclude restoring them to a structure lacking set-back from sidewalks.

For crying out loud, the rendering even has portions of sidewalk at 5th and Broad colored in that depressing earth shade!

I like, and always have liked, the art deco design of the Broad and 6th facades eventhough the long windows are highlighted with (yes) brown.

:rofl: I didn't notice until you mentioned it... I HOPE they won't do that to the sidewalk!

I thought the Art Deco was nice too until I realized that it was the same building as in an old picture thanks to the demolition of the marketplace which exposed portions of the original bricks. I've always liked buildings with that design, kind of like the old hospital that V-DOT occupies now.

:rofl: I didn't notice until you mentioned it... I HOPE they won't do that to the sidewalk!

I thought the Art Deco was nice too until I realized that it was the same building as in an old picture thanks to the demolition of the marketplace which exposed portions of the original bricks. I've always liked buildings with that design, kind of like the old hospital that V-DOT occupies now.

Before art deco redesign, guess what? The original M&R building was BROWN!!!

And old Memorial Hospital at s/e corner of Governor and Broad has always left me cold. Too bad that bus driver didn't demolish the whole building. :lol:

:angry: It's a beautiful building! Plus, it was built when you could run a freight train into a building and get a small hole! Let a bus hit a new building... it'll have to be demolished if the bus didn't bring it down.

I have to disagree Burt, the pic I have of it has it the same color as the renovation.

An actor friend of mine, Hansford Rowe (a Richmond native) was the "real" Santa at Millan Rhoads for several years in the 50s/60s, and he was Good!

Hansford left Richmond and became an established actor on Broadway, in films and on TV. Now he's a very rich, semi-retired actor living with his fourth wife just north of Los Angeles. He is an ace at contract bridge and is very lucky at poker.

Hansford has some interesting and wet tales to tell about his weeks occupying Santa's throne at M&R. :)

An actor friend of mine, Hansford Rowe (a Richmond native) was the "real" Santa at Millan Rhoads for several years in the 60s, and he was Good!

Hansford left Richmond and became an established actor on Broadway, in films and on TV. Now he's a very rich, semi-retired actor living with his fourth wife just north of Los Angeles. He is an ace at contract bridge and is very lucky at poker.

Hansford has some interesting and wet tales to tell about his weeks occupying Santa's throne at M&R. :)

I found this from Richmond.com a while back. The quote under the picture was, "Miller and Rhoads Santa circa 1955.

11-20-99santa_story.jpg

Burban, I don't recognize Daddy and Child, but I do believe that may be Hansford in his Santa suit. I returned from New York to Richmond in 1957 (where I remained until 1979) and I think Hansford was and had been M&R's St. Nick for a couple of years in the mid 50s.

If Mr. Rowe frequents Wikipedia, Steve, he'll certainly be surprised, and I hope pleased, to read of his early "acting" career at Millan Rhoads. :lol:

Burban, I don't recognize Daddy and Child, but I do believe that may be Hansford in his Santa suit. I returned from New York to Richmond in 1957 (where I remained until 1979) and I think Hansford was and had been M&R's St. Nick for a couple of years in the mid 50s.

If Mr. Rowe frequents Wikipedia, Steve, he'll certainly be surprised, and I hope pleased, to read of his early "acting" career at Millan Rhoads. :lol:

Burt, Ive noticed you've been spelling "Miller" in Miller and Rhoads as "Millan." Im not correcting your spelling in any way what so ever, but is that a way they used to spell it or call it before it became Miller and Rhoads perhaps? Ive been curious :D

tommy---- it's the way Richmonders pronounce(d) Miller and Rhoads :thumbsup:

:rofl: That's right, Tommy. Our southerrn drawl was too lazy to say both "Miller" and "and", so we just combined the two words. :lol:

Speaking of southern drawls, accents ever since the advent of television are a thing of the past. Compared to my youth, all baby boomers in Richmond sound like Yankees.

tommy---- it's the way Richmonders pronounce(d) Miller and Rhoads :thumbsup:

:rofl: That's right, Tommy. Our southerrn drawl was too lazy to say both "Miller" and "and", so we just combined the two words. :lol:

Speaking of southern drawls, accents ever since the advent of television are a thing of the past. Compared to my youth, all baby boomers in Richmond sound like Yankees.

Haha, my bad guys. I still have a bit of my northern accent :blush:

Archived