Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

Ryan Ramsey says that when completed, the Grace/5th/6th street facade of M&R will look like the present first four floors; i.e., the large windows will continue to the roof and will look like a unified building. That's terrific news, in Cam's and my opinion.

Guy, will there be one or two atriums -- one each in the two distinct buildings, or only one in the Grace Street section near where the elevators were?

Two atriums. One in the 8 story section and the other in the 4 story section. Not sure if they completed the atrium demo of the floors. I know most of the concrete has been removed for it, but the structural steal may be in place.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's still true that Garden Inn is going to be attached to the Hilton name, this property will HAVE to be one of the most glamorous lower echelon Hiltons in the company's portfolio.

I mean, $80 million in renovation, two atriums, 220 rooms plus condominiums, and prime location????

Will it also have large meeting facilities similar to the Marriott across the street? And will there be any subterranean parking?

some under ground parking. Also, they are building manageable meeting rooms. They have considered the convention center when planning their meeting rooms. No reason to build large ones, that is what I heard.

Thanks, guy, for all the M&R info. Please keep us up to date.

Do you know the over-all occupancy rate for downtown hotels? Sometimes I read that it is above the National average and other reports indicate that it's not so hot.

Courtyard-by-Marriott, I suppose, is still going to be part of Centennial's mix at 6th and Main.

How's Doubletree doing at Madison and Franklin?

I wouldn't be surprised someday if VCU collaborated with an extended-stay hotel company in one of their next student housing projects -- perhaps at the s/e corner of Broad and Belvidere. At the present time, there is virtually no hotel space within reasonable distance of the University. Maybe an Embassy Suites or a Residence Inn could rise over student dorms.

A few years ago I use to know someone who worked at the Linden Row. I think they told me city wide occupancy yearly average was 50% +/-. That may have changed, but have not seen a huge increase in large conventions, that draw "out of towners" and NASCAR only comes to town twice a year.

A few years ago I use to know someone who worked at the Linden Row. I think they told me city wide occupancy yearly average was 50% +/-. That may have changed, but have not seen a huge increase in large conventions, that draw "out of towners" and NASCAR only comes to town twice a year.

I don't have any direct proof, but I do believe occupancy rate hovers near 65% downtown. With the few amenities Linden Row now maintains, 50% would seem high for that property.

I think that average took into consideration that small hotels had lower rates and the better ones kept average higher. 65% may be correct for a years average, but my guess that would be on the high side. Richmond still does not bring in travelers for conventions at the rate we need. I know someone who works in management for the Omni, I'll see what the numbers are for Richmond.

I think that average took into consideration that small hotels had lower rates and the better ones kept average higher. 65% may be correct for a years average, but my guess that would be on the high side. Richmond still does not bring in travelers for conventions at the rate we need. I know someone who works in management for the Omni, I'll see what the numbers are for Richmond.

Thanks, guy. I think (and hope) you are going to find that occupancy figures are rising downtown. I believe The Omni, especially, does quite well.

I just thought you all might appreciate this... In an amazing display of ineffeciency and lack of communication today I watched as the Federal Courthouse project dismantled their exterior freight elevator and hauled it off. An hour later, Miller and Rhodes started setting up their elevator. Note, these were not the same elevators. Now why the contractor for one project didnt contact the other and ask...'hey can we just use your elevator when you are done, since that corresponds with when we need one?' But that would have made sense now wouldnt it... moving one block as opposed to moving umpteen miles to the storage yard twice over?

At least it means Miller and Rhodes is ready for some serious heavy lifting. I shall try and get some Berry Burk roof top views of the construction this weekend, especially of the penthouse suites under construction now.

This is to confirm what somebody said yesterday on one of these threads that Hilton is negotiating sale of all its properties to the Blackstone Group LP.

Will it affect the destiny of M&R, area Hilton Garden Inns and the two Doubletree hotels in Metro Richmond? I think not, unless it is in a positive way.

This is to confirm what somebody said yesterday on one of these threads that Hilton is negotiating sale of all its properties to the Blackstone Group LP.

Will it affect the destiny of M&R, area Hilton Garden Inns and the two Doubletree hotels in Metro Richmond? I think not, unless it is in a positive way.

Blackstone nurses companies back to profitablity and then sells them. Hilton's a good brand, so it should be okay.

Thanks, guy. I think (and hope) you are going to find that occupancy figures are rising downtown. I believe The Omni, especially, does quite well.

I think the Omni does a very good job of attracting business travelers and its "heart of the CBD and next to the Slip location" is tough to beat.

Today's Building Permits column in the TD verifies that work is moving apace on the Miller & Rhoads hotel project: $8.4 million for roof rehabilitation, and $25.06 million for architectural/structural work.

I got some photos from the roof of Berry Burk, but my zoom was messed up and I could get a good look into the buildings... I will post them nonetheless tonight.

Journiyin has joined the ranks of Urban Planet/Richmond's ACE PHOTOGRAPHERS. :alc:

And your perch is providing views never seen. Many thanks.

Wonder if a quartet of live cams could be installed? -- one on your roof; another high up in the John Marshall; a third in the brown tower at n/e corner of 6th and Broad, and a fourth in the Grace apartment tower at 4th Street. Then we'd get get full coverage of construction at M&R and VAPAF. :)

Archived