Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Style Weekly, a contractor is battling with the City over who will control minority hiring at the M&R site.

I think Shak told us that the strange piece of Woolworth attached to M&R is being dismantled to enlarge the proposed entryway at 5th and Broad.

Let's hope this battling over contractors does not delay the project further.

• 1 month later...

Runmor has it that M&R will be a Hilton Garden Inn which is a considerable step down from full fledged Hilton.

Maybe it opens the door for Centennial to aspire higher - A Ritz Carlton, maybe? :)

Yeah, that's not good news. Why are so many announcements in Richmond inflated when first announced and then deflated later...really frustrating to me. As far as Centennial, I'd like to at least hear that they are still on and are still planning to break ground soon, much less desire hear that they might land a fancier hotel. By the time it's all said and done, Centennial will probably end up being 8 stories tall and will take up the entire city block based on Richmond's record of over inflated announcements. Just frustrating.

Centennial is moving along, trust me... I'm not sure if I should start saying this in multiple languages or something. It was announced VERY early in the game and they've always said they'd break ground in 2007. Goodstein is simply a development company that likes to keep to themselves on their projects. It's nothing out of the ordinary. The hotel portion isn't a problem for Centennial. They also shouldn't have a problem with their Class A office space. The space that suffers DT is Class B.

Centennial will be cut back to 5, eandslee. Yes Richmond is notorious for having lofty plans that get chopped and hacked to pieces closer to fruition. Why are you surprised? This is Richmond after all! When Richmond is filled with millionaires and people who have received their doctorates, then expect the place to be bustling like new York. Otherwise, we're a yokel town.

So does this mean Paris won't be sleeping at M&R? Could be a blessing and a curse!

Je ne parle pas francais.

Io non parlo Italiano.

Yo no hablar Espanol.

:rofl:

English is just fine, Coupe.

I'm not worried about Centennial either. It will go up - maybe not to the soaring heights we would like to see, but I'll bet a quarter it will not be less than was first announced. If M&R is to be a Hilton Garden Inn, all the more reason for Centennial to attract a 5-star boutique hotel.

Speaking of Class B, is the old Vepco Building on the n/e corner of 7th and Franklin empty? It looks as if it would lend itself very nicely to condo or apt conversion. See Coupe's photo of the building in Richmond in Pictures II.

Je ne parle pas francais.

Io non parlo Italiano.

Yo no hablar Espanol.

:rofl:

English is just fine, Coupe.

I'm not worried about Centennial either. It will go up - maybe not to the soaring heights we would like to see, but I'll bet a quarter it will not be less than was first announced. If M&R is to be a Hilton Garden Inn, all the more reason for Centennial to attract a 5-star boutique hotel.

Speaking of Class B, is the old Vepco Building on the n/e corner of 7th and Franklin empty? It looks as if it would lend itself very nicely to condo or apt conversion. See Coupe's photo of the building in Richmond in Pictures II.

Burt, I appreciate your upbeat attitude. That building is occupied, though I don't know the vacancy. I believe the state has many offices there, as it is just a couple blocks from the Capitol.

I could see Centennial attracting a 4-star hotel, but not 5-star. They don't want to compete with the Jefferson.

Yeah, that's not good news. Why are so many announcements in Richmond inflated when first announced and then deflated later...really frustrating to me. As far as Centennial, I'd like to at least hear that they are still on and are still planning to break ground soon, much less desire hear that they might land a fancier hotel. By the time it's all said and done, Centennial will probably end up being 8 stories tall and will take up the entire city block based on Richmond's record of over inflated announcements. Just frustrating.

Sorry guys, I've just been a bit frustrated today since I heard the concerns of the discount airlines at the airport. It's just that I really want Richmond to be so much more than it is and it's frustrating to me when it falls a bit short. Know what I mean? I also just had a frustrating day (personally). So, again, I'm sorry for souring the conversation. :blush:

Oh please that's nothing! Apparently I have the power to depress everyone and hyenas! No one wants Richmond to be more than it is than I do since I live here in the area everyone forgot. Downtown means a lot to me and I am powerless to do anything about it. I don't, however, want to see Richmond a major, major city where it's crowd after crowd. At least now, Richmond isn't Mayberry where everyone knows everyone else, which isn't bad either. Hey I'd even love to see Richmond be the setting of movies and television shows. But I don't think any of us hasn't been frustrated over the city and it's current state.

Oh please that's nothing! Apparently I have the power to depress everyone and hyenas! No one wants Richmond to be more than it is than I do since I live here in the area everyone forgot. Downtown means a lot to me and I am powerless to do anything about it. I don't, however, want to see Richmond a major, major city where it's crowd after crowd. At least now, Richmond isn't Mayberry where everyone knows everyone else, which isn't bad either. Hey I'd even love to see Richmond be the setting of movies and television shows. But I don't think any of us hasn't been frustrated over the city and it's current state.

Don't ever feel powerless. You can always do something.

I, like you, don't want Richmond to become a major, major city. When that happens, we lose what Richmond is, and I think that would be a shame. However, I think it can be/will be a thriving mid-major city.

Believe it or not, I get frustrated about things too, but I don't dwell on them. I'll do what I can to make them better!

Man we will always have differing philosophies. I know I won't be able to build anything I vision now. No one wants to do what I'd like. What can you do to get Richmond to raise enough money and actually do half the stuff it promises or make people build something tall in this city? We can't do anything, we're powerless in that way.

Man we will always have differing philosophies. I know I won't be able to build anything I vision now. No one wants to do what I'd like. What can you do to get Richmond to raise enough money and actually do half the stuff it promises or make people build something tall in this city? We can't do anything, we're powerless in that way.

I'm not a size queen, as I'd take density and smart development over height anyday... that's not to say I'm opposed to height that embraces both though.

One difference in our philosophies is that I intend to help Richmond raise enough money and actually do half the stuff it promises.

Also, IMO, even if the Hilton is in fact a Hilton Garden, I don't see that as something detrimental. If anything, it makes attending conventions in Richmond more affordable and thus could be a greater draw. Not everyone attending conventions can afford high-cost hotels.

I agree with you coupe. Frankly, my favorite thing about Richmond is its inordinate amount of culture and life for a city of its size. Not many cities can say the same!!

What Richmond needs aren't big-city supplements like top tier pro leagues ... but just attractive, ground level awesomeness.

No, Richmond does need big-city supplement. Because if Richmond did not become close or almost like a major city, I would then loose it self by people getting tired of the city and moving away. Richmond would be less fun and active, worst then it is now.

One difference in our philosophies is that I intend to help Richmond raise enough money and actually do half the stuff it promises.

Do it.

JWCJ... can you please rephrase your entire reply?

I agree with you coupe. Frankly, my favorite thing about Richmond is its inordinate amount of culture and life for a city of its size. Not many cities can say the same!!

What Richmond needs aren't big-city supplements like top tier pro leagues ... but just attractive, ground level awesomeness.

What I like about Richmond is its sophistication and its newly found cosmopolitan air. About 2 million would be the top population figure I would like to see for the Metropolitan area. Sports of the non-participating kind have rarely been big ticket attractions, but I wouldn't count out a major league team in the future. The arts flourish in a way cities of equal size covet. The VMFA will rank among World-class art museums; a refurbished Carpenter Center will be capable of bringing in Interrnational attractions on a properly sized stage; a large number of dance, theatre and music groups as well as countless galleries provide top-flight exposure for local artists. Restaurants/bars of all descriptions range from simple to sublime; hotels of quality abound, including one of only thirty-nine 5-star hotels in North America.

The Business scene is very healthy in the region claiming an inordinate number of Fortune 500 companies and a reassuring stability. The housing options are varied and enjoy high occupancy. Retail in Metro offers more options, per capita, than just about anywhere in the US.

Problems? We all recognize the devides between the haves and have-nots; the clusters of hopelessness; hordes of fatherless children learning the ways of the streets; grossly under-performing schools and sub-par housing. These areas of poverty and listlessness must be addressed. Everyone must have the opportunity to participate in, contribute to and share in the riches of Richmond.

Archived