Sports in Arkansas

Mith242

Check out that poll. It's getting pretty bad.

In saying that about Malzahn I just meant the aspect of college coach vs. high school coach. Among Arkansas high school coaches he was pretty well respected and was someone that was really a pioneer of the high powered passing attacks we are seeing across the state now. He was big on 7-on-7 summer football which is catching on. I know what you mean about the average fans and how they look at it. I was thinking about the coaches. Those guys maybe thinking, "well if thats how they feel about him, what do they think of me."

Of course general inattentiveness to recruits as referenced by several recruit interviews is probably as harmful to recruiting.

Nutt has done others to have some high schools let him know he's not exactly welcome. He has some sort of beef with Bo Hembree at Warren, that has sent a few kids to Tennessee.

But I know what you mean. I've noticed it too in talking with my in-laws in Hot Springs.

Poll on front page

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What have you heard? I didn't bother posting it because I didn't think it really related to the Razorbacks but Mustain is going to take classes at the U of A for the Spring to try to decide what to do next. But I haven't heard any mention of it leaving much of a door open for him to return to the team.

What have you heard? I didn't bother posting it because I didn't think it really related to the Razorbacks but Mustain is going to take classes at the U of A for the Spring to try to decide what to do next. But I haven't heard any mention of it leaving much of a door open for him to return to the team.

Too much to post here.

Regarding Mustain, Nutt has publicly said he still wants Mustain to stay and isn't giving up on him. Mustain said he was leaving regardless, he just needs time to weight his options. It's awful late for Mustain to take visits and enroll this semester, plus neither Louisville nor OU wanted him after initially considering him. Too much baggage. Mustain would stay for a different coach, I'll just leave it at that.

Mith you need to check out some Hog message boards. Its a complete, to clean up a dirty phrase, poop storm in the athletic department. Emailgate, Frank's alumni banquest appearance in Dallas (no press), and things that might happen before or at the next UA system Board of Trustee members' meeting. Its about as juicy as it gets. I read woopig, arsportstalk, and hogville...

Steven Hill was the freakin' MAN today.

Mith you need to check out some Hog message boards. Its a complete, to clean up a dirty phrase, poop storm in the athletic department. Emailgate, Frank's alumni banquest appearance in Dallas (no press), and things that might happen before or at the next UA system Board of Trustee members' meeting. Its about as juicy as it gets. I read woopig, arsportstalk, and hogville...

Steven Hill was the freakin' MAN today.

It was said in the Capital One Bowl vs. Wisconsin that Houston Nutt refused to run the "Wildcat" offense to prove a point. That really Arkansas had no business losing to Wisconsin. Any thruth to that?? Was this directed at Malzahn. Can you have a spread(passing) offense with such good running backs like McFadden and Felix Jones?? I'm also hearing Houston Nutt did not live up to his promise to his new recruits??

I thought the Razorbacks had a great year finishing with 10 wins.

I have no idea about the bowl game.

West Va. uses the spread to run, so its not so much a "passing" offense. You can run and pass in the spread. I'm somewhat inclined to believe he at least partially lied to some of the new recruits and I include Gus Malzahn as one of the ones being lied to. I thought 10 was great until all this started coming out and we dropped three straight.

I jumped the gun and got too happy believing rumors this time around.

I just haven't felt like trying to figure out what's true and what's rumor on the message boards. One of my coworkers has a family member in the athletic department so most of the time I just listen to what he has to say. Although I'm losing him as a source, he got another job. There's a lot of rumors flying about. Really not sure if many or if any have any truth to them. But here's a few things I've heard that sound rather credible. Mustain would like to be a Razorback but just hasn't ever had any respect for Nutt. David Lee was being hired to help Malzahn because he really wasn't ready for the college level. According to my source they weren't really trying to push Malzahn out the door but just felt he wasn't ready for the college game and wanted another offensive coordinator till he got some more experience and got used to the speed of the SEC and the college game. But it looks like Mustain didn't agree with that call. According to what I've heard Malzahn did do all the playcalling for the season. That's not to say that Nutt didn't have a say of what was going on. I wonder if this means no more Wildcat formation for next season.

Great, anyone heard some of the new stuff Broyles is saying? He's alsways going off on these 'experts'. First it was experts have said Malzahn's offense won't work in the college game. Now it's the 'experts' saying Arkansas is a 8th in the conference, basically a bottom tier school, and there's no way we can ever recruit a big time coach. Even if it is true, I don't want to hear that coming from the AD. So we're supposed to just accept that we're going to be in the bottom half of the conference? Everyone wants Houston Nutt gone but I'm telling you our problems won't go away till Broyles is gone. He's done great things for the athletic department in the past but his time is over. Anyway none of what I heard in this interview makes me think any better of him. Just the opposite if anything. That and to hear him sounding like a scared little girl afraid to talk to the Springdale parents. That sounded like it freaked him out.

Great, anyone heard some of the new stuff Broyles is saying? He's alsways going off on these 'experts'. First it was experts have said Malzahn's offense won't work in the college game. Now it's the 'experts' saying Arkansas is a 8th in the conference, basically a bottom tier school, and there's no way we can ever recruit a big time coach. Even if it is true, I don't want to hear that coming from the AD. So we're supposed to just accept that we're going to be in the bottom half of the conference? Everyone wants Houston Nutt gone but I'm telling you our problems won't go away till Broyles is gone. He's done great things for the athletic department in the past but his time is over. Anyway none of what I heard in this interview makes me think any better of him. Just the opposite if anything. That and to hear him sounding like a scared little girl afraid to talk to the Springdale parents. That sounded like it freaked him out.

That was from the Dallas alumni association meeting last Thursday. He said lots of things he shouldn't have at that meeting, which is fueling a lot of anti-Broyles fervor from boosters right now. The Board of Trustees isn't going to try to oust him again right now, they were badly burned a few years ago when White wanted Broyles out.

Yeah it will take a lot more to oust him. But that's one of the biggest things that annoys me about Broyles. Seems like he's quiet when he should be out saying something, then he's out saying things when he really shouldn't. I think he really botched this whole thing. Had he chosen his words and actions a little more carefully I think a lot of this controversy would have already died off.

Archived