Sports in Arkansas

Mith242

A lot has happened in NWA since Stan Heath was hired in '02, and Houston Nutt well before that.

Wonder what coaches will be interested when (some day) both coaches move on?

Fayetteville never was where you could see "the end of the world" from (as Lou Holtz has since learned)...it and its metro area are SURE different now...

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arkansas lost by 24 tonight and Stan was making excuses about something going on the past few days. I bet Stan wishes the basketball team only played as many games as the football team. He would be 11-3 and could say he was better than the 10-4 football team. For the first 15 games this year the basketball team was 12-3. Even if they win they rest of their games they will have a losing record for the last 15 games.

Yeah I've heard rumors about that too. I think even if he doesn't step down Heath is probably done. Unless he can win the SEC Tournament it doesn't look like we'll be making the NCAA Tournament. It's really too bad Frank didn't step down earlier. He could have left under much better circumstances. I wonder if it does happen what effect it's going to have on all the athletic programs.

KNWA up here is also saying Nutt's contract could be bought out in a few weeks. If all of this is true who's going to be filling all these positions? Does anyone have any guesses? It's just rumor but I've heard Butch Davis has a clause that he can leave North Carolina if the Arkansas job becomes available. I've heard his name mentioned before and I think a lot of people wouldn't mind seeing him as the football coach. I still have no ideas on who would be the next AD. If Nutt's contract is bought out would they also consider getting rid of Stan Heath as well. I think if none of this turmoil had happened he would have still been out unless he can pull out some miraculous ending and win the SEC Tournament and go a few rounds into the NCAA Tournament. But if all this other stuff is going on will they give him another year just so they don't have yet another position to worry about filling?

KNWA up here is also saying Nutt's contract could be bought out in a few weeks. If all of this is true who's going to be filling all these positions? Does anyone have any guesses? It's just rumor but I've heard Butch Davis has a clause that he can leave North Carolina if the Arkansas job becomes available. I've heard his name mentioned before and I think a lot of people wouldn't mind seeing him as the football coach. I still have no ideas on who would be the next AD. If Nutt's contract is bought out would they also consider getting rid of Stan Heath as well. I think if none of this turmoil had happened he would have still been out unless he can pull out some miraculous ending and win the SEC Tournament and go a few rounds into the NCAA Tournament. But if all this other stuff is going on will they give him another year just so they don't have yet another position to worry about filling?

So I guess after the mess this year, Houston will not be moving up to AD. I know that was kind of talked about early in the football season. So I guess we are going to have a new AD, and new coaches. What about Reggie Herring? I guess he wants to stay, after Oklahoma State University offered him a raise and a position w/ them.

Just curious does anyone think there's a central Arkansas/NWA split here? To me there seems to be more of a general support of Nutt around Little Rock. He does of course have strong ties there. But it seems Malzahn and the Springdale players seem to have more support in NWA because they of course have strong local ties up here. Of course there's varying opinions but those seem to be somewhat general in both those areas. I wonder if this could end up being another central Arkansas/NWA thing like when they change the number of games if they try to get rid of Nutt.

Okay I'm going to keep going even though I feel like I'm talking to myself here. Looks like Broyles is trying to have the last laugh. Looks like Nutt is getting an extension and a raise. Is he trying making it harder to get rid of Nutt? After digging around I've seen Jim Lindsey's name mentioned as a possible replacement. I haven't seen too many other names mentioned so far. I've also been hearing more fans wanting Nolan to be recognized. The university hasn't done anything to recognize him or the players for the National Championship. With Frank gone I'd like to see this reconciled. Nolan did great things for the basketball program and I'd like for him to feel like he's welcome back on campus. Looking back now after seeing things unfold recently you really have to wonder if Broyles wasn't more the problem than Nolan.

Looks like Stan will have to run the table in Atlanta to keep his job. Too many turnovers in the game today. During the telecast they made the comment that the Tenn. coach now has 12 out of 14 20 win seasons. At Syracuse they reach their 10 consecutive 20 game season and the 29th out of 31 for Jim Boeheim. Why can't Arkansas come up with a coach to do this? Also, there looked to be a lot of empty seats for the game.

Looks like Stan will have to run the table in Atlanta to keep his job. Too many turnovers in the game today. During the telecast they made the comment that the Tenn. coach now has 12 out of 14 20 win seasons. At Syracuse they reach their 10 consecutive 20 game season and the 29th out of 31 for Jim Boeheim. Why can't Arkansas come up with a coach to do this? Also, there looked to be a lot of empty seats for the game.

I think Heath is toast regardless at this point.

There's already considerable talk about the replacement. The heavy favorite is A&M's Billy Gillespie and it would take a LARGE contract to get him. He may not leave a great situation in College Station, besides the fact he's a career Texas guy.

The big news here in Tyson becoming one of the Board of Trustees. The guy he replaced was a Nutt advocate and Tyson absolutely can't stand the man. This was essentially a two vote swing against Nutt on the BOT. Tyson is a close friend of former Miami and Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis, currently at UNC. They grew up in Springdale together.

The big news here in Tyson becoming one of the Board of Trustees. The guy he replaced was a Nutt advocate and Tyson absolutely can't stand the man. This was essentially a two vote swing against Nutt on the BOT. Tyson is a close friend of former Miami and Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis, currently at UNC. They grew up in Springdale together.

Well I know that this topic has turned into a conversation about the University of Arkansas Razorbacks, but as a Northeast Arkansas native and ASU alum, I just wanted to mention that there are two Div.1A football programs in this state. Also, in basketball A-State is seeded #2 in the Sunbelt men's tournament which gave them a bye in the first round; They play New Orleans tonight in the 2nd round of the tournment, and if they can win tonight and Monday, they'll play in the SBC championship game Tuesday night on ESPN. :good:

BTW...Monday night's game will be on Comcast Sports Southeast in Central Arkansas.

Archived