Sports in Arkansas

Mith242

Wisconsin is 11-1 that certainly concerned me until I looked at their schedule. Their 1 loss was to Michigan but all of the rest of the teams they beat were not all that impressive. Penn State, Iowa, and Minnesota were about the best they played, and the scores are pretty close on most of them.

Here is Wisconsin's schedule: Wisconsin

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wisconsin is 11-1 that certainly concerned me until I looked at their schedule. Their 1 loss was to Michigan but all of the rest of the teams they beat were not all that impressive. Penn State, Iowa, and Minnesota were about the best they played, and the scores are pretty close on most of them.

Here is Wisconsin's schedule: Wisconsin

Well, I highly doubt that. At that point Michigan would have played them, with no BCS controversty. And even so, Arkansas would have needed to jump 7 teams in the BCS rankings to get into the spot to play for a title.

Either way, congrats to you guys on a great season, and on a great bowl! The Capital One Bowl is often considered to be the best non-BCS bowl, and being invited there is definately nice. :thumbsup:

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Sure, McFadden was dinged up, but then so were two of our starting LB's and our starting SS. Face it, most of the pundits gave UF no chance to stop the Arky rushing game, and UF stoned them. Meanwhile, a true freshman, Percy Harvin, was the most electrifying player on the field.

I do hope the Hawgs take it to Wisconsin though.

The ESPN poll tonight:

Which Heisman finalist will make the best NFL player?

1. Darren McFadden.......................38%

2. Brady Quinn.........................34%

3. Troy Smith....................27%

Total votes: 140,317

Cool, thanks for the info Nate. I did hear he was invited to the Heisman Ceremony. Speaking on players I've been hearing rumors that Hillis is basically done and he's leaving for the draft. Which is why he didn't go down to Atlanta with the rest of the team. It's too bad for us, he was a very good player.

The rumor is that he knocked a girl up, and that this isn't the first time that happened. I have no idea if that's true. That's in addition to not liking or getting along with Nutt. I agree he was a good player for us, I'm afraid he will get screwed over in the draft. A year of highlights lead-blocking for a Heisman winner might have vaulted him to all-SEC and a 3rd or 4th round pick, which is about as good as it gets for fullbacks. It's a shame that he and Mark Pierce never became what they could've. I've never seen more talent at fullback.

By the way McFadden did win the Doak Walker Award for best running back in the country. He beat out West Virginia's Slaton and Michigan's Hart ti win the award. He's the first Arkansas player to win the award. Now he's off the NYC for the Heisman presentation.

Oh and Reggie Bush won it last year.

I think the Heisman presentation this year is a bit of a downer. Everyone knows that McFadden and Quinn don't have a shot, but I just don't think Troy Smith will do much in the NFL. I think next year will be McFadden's year, pending no injuries occuring, which I hope will be the case.

One thing I found interesting Mel Kiper said if McFadden was available for this year's draft he thinks he could have gone first or second pick. I know people are going to expect a lot out of him next year. I really hope he can avoid injury and is able to perform well despite having a big bull's eye on his back next year.

I think Arkansas loses 3 of their starting O-Lineman to graduation after the season? Hopefully some new blood can step it up. The Center Luigs could be an All-American candidate next year. But the O-Line is so important. They get some of the credit for McFadden and Jones monster year.

Dick looked better vs. Florida. What does Arkansas do at QB?? with Mustain?

I think Arkansas loses 3 of their starting O-Lineman to graduation after the season? Hopefully some new blood can step it up. The Center Luigs could be an All-American candidate next year. But the O-Line is so important. They get some of the credit for McFadden and Jones monster year.

Dick looked better vs. Florida. What does Arkansas do at QB?? with Mustain?

Dick looked very good against SC and Tenn but awful against LSU and Florida. I think most Hog fans are ready to see Mustain get another shot. I sure am, and I was one of the few supporting his benching in the first place.

The rumors are rampant that Mustain is transferring.

In other Arkansas sports news Little Rock native and Middleweight champion Jermain Taylor is fighting in Little Rock Saturday night on HBO agains a respectable fighter. Assuming he wins he's probably going to jump a weight class and fight in the less competitive Super Middleweight division because he's struggling a bit making his weight.

Dick looked very good against SC and Tenn but awful against LSU and Florida. I think most Hog fans are ready to see Mustain get another shot. I sure am, and I was one of the few supporting his benching in the first place.

The rumors are rampant that Mustain is transferring.

Saw an interesting story on ESPN. Barrow Alaska just started up a football team at their high school for the first time. They hope it will help turn some of the kids around and give them something to do, being so isolated from everyone and everything on the north slope. They're too far north for grass to grow so they have to play on a gravel field. Sounds like the next closest team is around 500 miles away. And before you wonder why in the world I'm posting this here. After a long search they could only get one coach interested in the job. A former high school coach from Arkansas. There wasn't any mention of where exactly he was from of who he coached. But still an interesting story.

Saw an interesting story on ESPN. Barrow Alaska just started up a football team at their high school for the first time. They hope it will help turn some of the kids around and give them something to do, being so isolated from everyone and everything on the north slope. They're too far north for grass to grow so they have to play on a gravel field. Sounds like the next closest team is around 500 miles away. And before you wonder why in the world I'm posting this here. After a long search they could only get one coach interested in the job. A former high school coach from Arkansas. There wasn't any mention of where exactly he was from of who he coached. But still an interesting story.

Well, McFadden finished 2nd in the Heisman voting with 42 1st place votes, avoiding the biggest Heisman landslide ever as was predicted. He's the clear favorite for 2007.

Jermain Taylor couldn't knock out Ouma at Alltel Arena but won an easy decision in 12 rounds in front of more than 10,000 at Alltel Arena to retain his middleweight title. Rumor is he may step up in class to fight his next bout.

Archived