Richmond's Canal Walk

theriverpirate

The last thing I heard was that Alcoa had plans for closing down their site and moving out of there by December of this year. I would assume that it's a prime piece of property and developers are going at it like white on rice. I do hope that there's something about it tomorrow.

I hope all of those developers have something TALL in mind! :) If not, I'll be severely disappointed.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There aren't any definitive plans for this site is there? I know that there have been some speculative renderings, etc., but when is Alcoa supposed to be outta there? Nothing can be built without them gone. I'd like to learn more about what could be planned and I'd also like to see a time table.

There are no difinitive plans in the works. However, sources tell me that owners of the property are pursuing to sell the property to a developer. Dominion Properties is one of them.

Some preliminary planning for the site include the extension of Byrd St through the property, about 500,000 sq ft of office space on Byrd and 9th and that the design of the other structures to be built would be similar to the two structures which will be spared the wrecking ball (5-story structure along Byrd St and the white building next to it, along the canal).

I swear, that is all I know. :D

about 500,000 sq ft of office space on Byrd and 9th and that the design of the other structures to be built would be similar to the two structures which will be spared the wrecking ball (5-story structure along Byrd St and the white

Does that necessarily mean that a skyscraper would be out of the question? I hope not.

Does that necessarily mean that a skyscraper would be out of the question? I hope not.

Not neccessarily. It is my understanding that the only site for a skyscraper would the piece of property at 9th and Byrd. Everything else cannot be taller than the long brown building on Byrd.

Who knows? Like I said before, there is nothing definitive.

Half a million square feet of office space is plenty for your skyscraper Eric. Each tower at Riverfront Plaza is about 500,000 sf. Add some mixed use components to it and you've got yourself a taller tower :thumbsup:

I think a diversity of heights, size, architecture and age of buildings along the Canal will give it much more character. I'd rather have that than a bunch of new skyscrapers.

Half a million square feet of office space is plenty for your skyscraper Eric. Each tower at Riverfront Plaza is about 500,000 sf. Add some mixed use components to it and you've got yourself a taller tower :thumbsup:

Thanks for puttting that in perspective - that really helps. Additionally, I believe that parcel would only allow for a building with a smaller footprint than the Riverside Towers making the structure even taller. :) Correct me if I'm wrong....

Thanks for puttting that in perspective - that really helps. Additionally, I believe that parcel would only allow for a building with a smaller footprint than the Riverside Towers making the structure even taller. :) Correct me if I'm wrong....

Anything that fills in the gap between Riverfront and The James Center, I'm all for it.

A tower at Alcoa and JC4 would do the trick!

Yes. Tommy. It would exciting to drive along the downtown expressway and see towers on both sides.

I hope a boutique hotel goes in the white/gray building on the canal across from the power plant and that vertical retail goes into the spruced up brown building at the corner of 12th and Byrd. And while I'm wishing, let's get that canal connection moving. :)

Yes. Tommy. It would exciting to drive along the downtown expressway and see towers on both sides.

I hope a boutique hotel goes in the white/gray building on the canal across from the power plant and that vertical retail goes into the spruced up brown building at the corner of 12th and Byrd. And while I'm wishing, let's get that canal connection moving. :)

Yeah, tell me about it. I thought there was funding in place to extend the canal walk. I was expecting construction to be underway by now.

I'm afraid those Dominion power lines are there to stay. But in a way, they help the area retain its historic industrial feel while contrasting with new development.

I'd still like to see the canal veer south just west of Lady Bird to another turning basin in the Alcoa parking lot. From there, canal boats could be transported either by new locks thru the Flood Wall cut, or by a boat lift OVER the flood wall to Haxall.

I was thinking something along the lines of this....

untitledhc9.th.png

(click to enlarge)

Red-extended flood wall to power plant

Black-demolish existing flood wall(re-use to construct extension)

Yellow-extend Canal Walk

It would also call for getting rid of iron pedestrian bridge near LadyBird, so the Canal Boat will be able to cruise from Founders Park, to Tobacco Row and beyond.

Nice work, Tommy. But yellow is the only one that makes sense to me and what I described above (either via new locks or boat lift).

The red would simply cross the wall to a dead end inlet between ROTJ residential and the power plant.

The black would be prohibitively expensive.

The other option would be thru the existing locks under the alcoa building and connecting via another turning basin, thence via a set of new locks down the 12th street corridor to Haxall.

Can you do another of these aerials and show in yellow my version of veering off the canal east of the foot bridge into a new basin in the parking lot, thence via options to connect thru or over the wall?

I like the boat lift plan over the wall because it would be less expensive as well as becoming a large tourist draw.

I think this is more along the lines of what Burt is talking about:

canalwalklink.jpg

It would link the two canals where the existing locks are already in place. One issue will be the proposed extension of Byrd St through the large opening in the Flood Wall, along the flood wall eventually meeting up with Virginia St at Vistas.

Archived